Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.
2 Pages<12

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DoddPower  
#21 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 2:01:09 PM(UTC)
StoicFire said: Go to Quoted Post
Yeah. I can't imagine what it would be like at that speed. My only refereeing experience is at recreational level soccer leagues, but even then it can always be tough to see exactly what happened.

I also thought I saw several holds that were uncalled by both teams actually. I'm glad that holding isn't called every down.

The real reason for that post was the rules clarification though, because I wasn't sure whether everyone was clear on it or not.

I honestly think the rules in the NFL are getting out of hand. The officials have such an impact on the games now. I feel like I'm watching (and paying: Sunday ticket, Satellite, etc.) to watch the game, not a bunch of zebras throw yellow snot rags all over the field. It just gets on my nerves and is only getting worse.
Wade  
#22 Posted : Wednesday, September 11, 2013 8:57:50 AM(UTC)
DoddPower said: Go to Quoted Post
I honestly think the rules in the NFL are getting out of hand. The officials have such an impact on the games now. I feel like I'm watching (and paying: Sunday ticket, Satellite, etc.) to watch the game, not a bunch of zebras throw yellow snot rags all over the field. It just gets on my nerves and is only getting worse.

There's a reason a lot of refs who are lawyers.

Look at the way people (players, coaches, fine-givers, and, yes, fans) nit-pick and line-draw and engage in the meaning of every word in the rules.

Someone once said that "perfection is the enemy of the good." This fits perfect here. We all seem to expect that every call must be right. That's simply silly. It's not possible. People make mistakes. And no amount of lawyering and careful rule-writing is going to change that. Because interpreters of rules are people, too. And people make mistakes.

We all need to get used to that and move. Football as done by the NFL is incredibly good. But it's not good because the NFL has a rule book that it takes a lawyer to interpret. It's good because the people who play football are incredibly good at what they do.

Not perfect. Blockers, tacklers, runners, passers, catchers, kickers...they're good. They're never going to be perfect.

And neither are refs. But the more we try to ensure the refs are perfect (by changing and complicating the rules), the more the refs are going to interfere with the essential goodness of the product.

Refs are going to miss calls. Sometimes its going to make a significant difference. It happens. Get used to it and move on.

IMO

Rss Feed
Users browsing this topic
Guest (2)
2 Pages<12
Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error

Fan Shout
Nonstopdrivel (2m) : Who you callin' whore, whore?
beast (8m) : That is most definitely what stat-whore said!
Nonstopdrivel (12m) : I just realized I'm one of only three people ever to earn an applause from go.pack.go. I'm seriously blushing.
wpr (4h) : Is there a football game today Buckeye? ;)
Zero2Cool (4h) : John Schneider convinced Ted Thompson to hire Mike McCarthy. Per Jay Glazer
Zero2Cool (4h) : ChristianYelich is your 2018 National League MVP
Zero2Cool (7h) : Packers activate Trevor Davis for game against Seahawks
buckeyepackfan (7h) : GAMEDAY(NIGHT)! GO! PACK! GO!
buckeyepackfan (7h) : GAMEDAY(NIGHT)! GO! PACK! GO!
buckeyepackfan (7h) : GOOD AFTERNOON PACKER FANS!
Porforis (11h) : *Writes down notes*
Zero2Cool (11h) : Danica Patrick Says Aaron Rodgers Initially Hit On Her Using 'Dumb & Dumber' Lines
Zero2Cool (11h) : Ravens
Cheesey (13h) : Who does he play for?
beast (13h) : I forgot RG3 was still on an NFL team
Nonstopdrivel (15-Nov) : It's crazy to think that RGIII might get a start this week.
TheKanataThrilla (14-Nov) : It is hard to compare the TD:INT ratio of Aaron to Tom Brady with all the intentional throw aways this year.
Porforis (14-Nov) : Sometimes there's a fine line between a simple exchange and a good topic and by the time I realize I cross that line I'm done with the conversation anyways lol
Zero2Cool (14-Nov) : put your good work in a topic!
Zero2Cool (14-Nov) : Rourke, topics ... they are free to create.
Nonstopdrivel (14-Nov) : 9.77 yards per attempt is stellar.
Nonstopdrivel (14-Nov) : His completion percentage is 67.1 but his TD:INT ratio is pretty abysmal. What bumps his passer rating is his phenomenal average per attempt.
Porforis (14-Nov) : I'm shocked his passer rating is that high. He's #29 in the leauge with a 61.1% completion percentage
Nonstopdrivel (14-Nov) : On that scale, Ryan Fitzpatrick is the best QB in the league this season and Brock Osweiler is the worst.
Nonstopdrivel (14-Nov) : I compiled all the NextGen stats and normalized them, and the final ratings ranged from 64.8 to 34.4 on a 100-pt scale. That's not helpful at all.
Nonstopdrivel (14-Nov) : NextGen stats really suck for ranking QBs. The standard deviations are just too tiny. There's no spread.
Nonstopdrivel (14-Nov) : On the other hand, he has 6 fumbles, including 3 lost, which takes the shine off his numbers a bit.
Nonstopdrivel (14-Nov) : It's kind of amusing that Rodgers currently has a 17:1 TD:INT ratio and a passer rating of 100.0, yet it's clearly a down year for him.
Porforis (14-Nov) : STAT WHORE!
Nonstopdrivel (14-Nov) : Yes. That would give him a TD:INT ratio of 20. Brady's ratio in 2016 was 14
gbguy20 (14-Nov) : would that break toms record?
gbguy20 (14-Nov) : looking for Rodgers to throw 23 tds and 2 ints in the next 7 games. it's time to make a run.
Nonstopdrivel (14-Nov) : Odds that Rodgers breaks Brady's season record for TD:INT ratio?
beast (14-Nov) : I wonder if that means Patrick passed his concussion test
beast (14-Nov) : King, Cobb, Perry, and Brice stayed in GB
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2018 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 9 @ 7:20 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Sep 16 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Sep 23 @ 12:00 PM
Redskins
Sunday, Sep 30 @ 12:00 PM
BILLS