wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

God forbid that ever happens again. I don't think I could handle another round of "the refs cost us the game" posts.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

I didn't mean to imply that just because GB didn't need to refs to make the correct call that it is ok.
UserPostedImage
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago
I'm not ever gonna say a word in defense of a player hurting/hitting illegally any Packer player, BUT, face it, at some point, the shoe will be on the other foot. A Packer player will inadvertently/carelessly/maybe even intentionally lead with the head.

I did an experiment this morning - testing a theory - that leading with the head is the more natural movement, and turning the head to the side or raising the chin/bending the back of the neck to hit with the face mask is an unnatural act. I dug out my old blocking dummy from 20 years ago when I coached kids football; I set it up - on a nice soft mattress to save my poor old body, and tried comparatively bending the neck sideways to hit left shoulder first - effect: I landed hard on my right arm and if not for the soft mattress, might have injured my right (off-side) shoulder or collar bone. Plus, it felt damn weird that way. I then tried head on, neck bent back/face making first contact. THAT hurt! Even though the dummy was not planted or held at all, there was stress on the back of my neck - similar to whiplash - to the extent that it was more than a little bit painful. I then did it the way probably we all were taught, the old-fashioned/now illegal and shunned way. I launched myself head and shoulder together first - as much as a 66 year old can launch hahahaha, and no problem at all. Not yet satisfied, I had my wife hold the dummy as we used to do in football practice, and I launched - still no ill effects.

Granted, I did not go head into a hard helmet. I'm sure that would run the risk - RISK, not sure thing - of injury.

Conclusion: Forcing unorthodox or unnatural positions could cause more harm than the good done by encouraging alternatives to leading with the head. I can really see how somebody tackling in what seems to be the instinctive/natural way could meet a runner lowering his head - as we were all also taught to do - and bang, there is helmet to helmet contact.

All these guys can afford fines, but you get into suspensions, and I would like to see proof or strong evidence that the guy was head-hunting - intentionally acting to injure.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Bigbyfan
10 years ago

Call me evil if you want to, but virtually every time I see a non-Packer (or member of the other two teams I have a lesser degree of loyalty to) go down/get carted off, I just can't help FEELING hope that they have some serious season or career threatening injuries. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm sure some of you whatevers are appalled by that, but what can I say, it's my true honest feeling.

I await whatever pious crap gets spewed my way about this hahahahaha:-({|=

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

Not sure how you could hope for someone, possibly with a family, to have their livelihood permanently altered or ended.
blank
Mucky Tundra
10 years ago
UserPostedImage

One thing I didn't notice right away and makes me really cringe seeing this is how Lacy's legs stay in the same spot and how he sorta goes down like a tree being felled.

As far as his hit on Starks, it's called karma bitch. I can't believe they didn't call anything for the hits on Starks or Lacy yet I've seen them call for flags on textbook, shoulder-to-gut tackles due to the fast nature of the tackled players head going forward and whipping back. I don't normally bitch about refs but what happened here is just so obvious.
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
steveishere
10 years ago

Not sure how you could hope for someone, possibly with a family, to have their livelihood permanently altered or ended.

Originally Posted by: Bigbyfan 

Yeah really it's just a game that in reality means pretty much nothing. How dare that man play against the men that play for a team that I like.

Not to mention that once a player on the other team gets carted off the field it doesn't help the packers for them to have a career ending injury. That's simply hoping someones career is over just because.
steveishere
10 years ago

UserPostedImage

One thing I didn't notice right away and makes me really cringe seeing this is how Lacy's legs stay in the same spot and how he sorta goes down like a tree being felled.

As far as his hit on Starks, it's called karma bitch. I can't believe they didn't call anything for the hits on Starks or Lacy yet I've seen them call for flags on textbook, shoulder-to-gut tackles due to the fast nature of the tackled players head going forward and whipping back. I don't normally bitch about refs but what happened here is just so obvious.

Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra 

Yeah, Lacy's lights definitely went out.
10 years ago
I won't lie, when it was him who went down after the SECOND FUCKING TIME he tried to pull that shit, I silently cheered. And cheered. And cheered.

I agree with Twinkiegorilla.

bozz_2006 wrote:

Porforis
10 years ago
I tried to bring myself to cheer but couldn't. In a perfect world he would be out for three games but have no permanent issues as a result. Idiot, mean-spirited play or not, he doesn't deserve brain damage. Sounds like he's already got some "brainular issues"
PackFanWithTwins
10 years ago

I'm not ever gonna say a word in defense of a player hurting/hitting illegally any Packer player, BUT, face it, at some point, the shoe will be on the other foot. A Packer player will inadvertently/carelessly/maybe even intentionally lead with the head.

I did an experiment this morning - testing a theory - that leading with the head is the more natural movement, and turning the head to the side or raising the chin/bending the back of the neck to hit with the face mask is an unnatural act. I dug out my old blocking dummy from 20 years ago when I coached kids football; I set it up - on a nice soft mattress to save my poor old body, and tried comparatively bending the neck sideways to hit left shoulder first - effect: I landed hard on my right arm and if not for the soft mattress, might have injured my right (off-side) shoulder or collar bone. Plus, it felt damn weird that way. I then tried head on, neck bent back/face making first contact. THAT hurt! Even though the dummy was not planted or held at all, there was stress on the back of my neck - similar to whiplash - to the extent that it was more than a little bit painful. I then did it the way probably we all were taught, the old-fashioned/now illegal and shunned way. I launched myself head and shoulder together first - as much as a 66 year old can launch hahahaha, and no problem at all. Not yet satisfied, I had my wife hold the dummy as we used to do in football practice, and I launched - still no ill effects.

Granted, I did not go head into a hard helmet. I'm sure that would run the risk - RISK, not sure thing - of injury.

Conclusion: Forcing unorthodox or unnatural positions could cause more harm than the good done by encouraging alternatives to leading with the head. I can really see how somebody tackling in what seems to be the instinctive/natural way could meet a runner lowering his head - as we were all also taught to do - and bang, there is helmet to helmet contact.

All these guys can afford fines, but you get into suspensions, and I would like to see proof or strong evidence that the guy was head-hunting - intentionally acting to injure.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

This is the problem when they say "leading with the helmet". You want to tackle with your shoulder but the head is attached on top of the shoulders so it is almost always likely to be the first thing to make contact.

If you are head up on your target and go in head up face first, you could injure your neck, and you are more than likely to get run over. You want to have your head to one side or the other. It is like a double leg takedown only around the waist/chest instead of the thighs.

They should just call it what it is, spearing, the key I look for is the arms, if the arms are not in position to attempt a wrap up, they are not trying to tackle.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago
Looks like we will not be satisfied with the League:

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday that Bucs safety Dashon Goldson was suspended one game by the NFL without pay for his hit on New Orleans Saints running back Darren Sproles on Sunday. The league considered it a helmet-to-helmet hit on a defenseless player.

Washington Redskins safety Brandon Meriweather, however, is not expected to be suspended for his Sunday hit on Green Bay Packers running back Eddie Lacy, Rapoport said Monday on NFL Network's "Around the League Live." A fine should be coming. Meriweather hasn't made a similar hit since 2010.

Goldson was suspended largely because this is his fifth such unnecessary-roughness violation since 2011. He can't practice this week or play in the Bucs' game this Sunday against the New England Patriots, and the Tampa Bay Times reported Goldson will miss out on a $264,705 game check.

link  has video of Goldson story.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (19m) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (1h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (16h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (16h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (16h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (17h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

14h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.