Green Bay Packers Forum

Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline macbob  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2013 7:56:39 PM(UTC)
macbob

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Silver: 2012

Applause Given: 319
Applause Received: 265

My son and I had a terrific time this past weekend on our first trip to Lambeau.

Weeeee!! Weeeee!! Weeeee!! Weeeee!!

I'll skip the parts that you guys wouldn't care about and just try and hit the high points.

We stayed at the Bay Motel, about 1 mile from the Stadium (easy walking distance, plus there's a free bus that stops right outside the motel that runs every 30 mins). Rooms are on the small side, the motel is older, but it is very clean. Packer fans gather in the parking lot each night and quietly party. I would highly recommend them and would stay there again.

We toured the Packers Hall of Fame and took the Stadium Tour, both which I would highly recommend.

Here's some photos (I'll hide them under a spoiler alert so they don't take up so much room, and you can re-hide them):

Horsing around in the Hall of Fame

During the Stadium Tour they take you up to the roof of the South End zone, the highest point in the stadium (besides the electronic signs)...

And they take you out through the Players' tunnel to the field. They don't let you go out on the field itself, but you're right down there next to the field.

It was raining steadily before the game. We were going to walk to the stadium but ended up taking the bus. Fortunately, it cleared up around game time, and we were able to dry out. We hadn't brought waterproof rain gear, and would have been miserable if it hadn't.

And needless to say, we enjoyed the game. At 31-0 and 38-7, it met my definition of a good game--the complete and utter humiliation of the opposing team. We live in Redskin country, and the newspapers back here were talking how the Redskins were embarrassed.

Some photos from the game:

On the way back to the motel after the game (and after walking around the parking lot with the tailgaters), we passed a house a good distance from the stadium that had 3 little girls with Pom Poms out front, doing cartwheels, etc. They looked to be about 5 or 6. One had an Aaron Rodgers jersey on and was standing on a picnic table. As we walked by, she put her hands on her hips and said "Discount Double Check". We just had to laugh.

For the most part, our meals ended up being burgers of one sort or another. We ate at Kroll's (Butter burger); Fuzzy's 63 (Fuzzy's special burger--one beef patty, one brat patty--this was GOOD!!!) and the Titletown Brewery (where I had a spicy Elk burger (with some variation from their menu) and my son had a Bison burger). Their Johnny Blood Red ale was delicious, too.

Titletown has the old receiver statue that used to be in front of the Packers Hall of Fame. The street in front of Titletown was renamed this summer to Donald Driver Way, and the statue was repainted to represent DD.

And we hit the Shopko right across from the Corporate HQs, which has a huge Packers section (and just happened to have everything 25% off--woo hoo!).

On the flight from Milwaukee, one of the flight attendants was wearing a Bears lanyard. I have some Packers music on my iPod (I have it under the Religious genre). One of the songs is "The Bears still suck" Polka, so I started that playing and as the flight attendant passed our seats I held it up so she could read the title of the song. She was a good sport, and razzed with all of the Packers fans on the flight. As we were landing, she ended up her last announcement with "Go Bears". The booing was quite loud.

All in all a successful trip.

Applause Applause Applause
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 9 applause.
hardrocker950 on 9/17/2013(UTC), buckeyepackfan on 9/17/2013(UTC), nerdmann on 9/17/2013(UTC), DakotaT on 9/17/2013(UTC), coltonja on 9/18/2013(UTC), Gaycandybacon on 9/18/2013(UTC), play2win on 9/18/2013(UTC), SINCITYCHEEZE on 9/18/2013(UTC), wpr on 4/17/2014(UTC)
Sponsor
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2013 8:18:16 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 382
Applause Received: 475

Good Stuff macbob!!!!

Picked a GREAT game to go to.!!

Thanks for all the pics.
Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’. "Stats are for Losers"
Offline hardrocker950  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2013 8:38:59 PM(UTC)
hardrocker950

Applause Given: 77
Applause Received: 101

Put it on your bucket list to visit Lambeau if you haven't yet. The experience is unlike anything you will witness anywhere else. If you go on game day, be sure to go early because there is so much to see!

If you want the full experience - park far from the stadium, the tailgating alone is amazing. I have even been offered food and drinks in passing by fellow fans. Sunday is like a party in that town - they LOVE their football!

The hall of fame reminds you of how deep tradition is with this team. Take the tour - it is well worth your time and a few bucks. No other stadium has so much to offer. I really cannot say enough about how great it is!

I am glad you had a great trip to the best stadium in the NFL. I see you did it right and had lots of funApplause
"I enjoy being just one of 53 on the team." - Aaron Rodgers
Offline John252  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2013 10:43:24 PM(UTC)
John252

United States

Applause Given: 4
Applause Received: 6

Ahhh that looks like so much fun. I have to visit there sometime. I might get tickets for the Giants-Packers game, but it just won't be the same...
UserPostedImage
Offline coltonja  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 11:37:18 AM(UTC)
coltonja

Applause Given: 61
Applause Received: 33

This was awesome, macbob! Thanks for sharing.

It made me really excited thinking about going there with my dad for the Lions game on Oct 6.

Couple questions- when did you take the tour? Is it open Saturday? Is the HoF open then too? Last one- do you have to call and schedule in advance?
UserPostedImage

Thanks to pack93z for the sig!!!
Offline gbguy20  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 2:59:44 PM(UTC)
gbguy20

Applause Given: 210
Applause Received: 285

Originally Posted by: John252 Go to Quoted Post
Ahhh that looks like so much fun. I have to visit there sometime. I might get tickets for the Giants-Packers game, but it just won't be the same...

The Giants always seem to beat us...I'd choose a different game.
call me Dan
Offline GermanGilbert  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 3:26:56 PM(UTC)
GermanGilbert

Applause Given: 37
Applause Received: 87

Originally Posted by: coltonja Go to Quoted Post
Couple questions- when did you take the tour? Is it open Saturday? Is the HoF open then too? Last one- do you have to call and schedule in advance?

Yes, tours are on Saturday as well, well, not "as well", because Gameday Saturday is for sure the day with the most tour bookings all year. You don't have to call before, you can just book your tour at the counter in the Atrium, however, on Gameday Saturday your tour will not start immediately (e.g. within 30 minutes), you'll have to wait a couple of time. Of course you can leave and come back, you'll get the start time of your tour when you're booking it. HoF is opened as well and it doesn't take that long to wait.

But that's just my experience from the past, I don't know how it is this season, especially with the movement of the areas (Curly's Pub, Pro Shop, HoF) this year. But enjoy this trip, it'll be just awesome.
blank
Offline macbob  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 4:59:59 PM(UTC)
macbob

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Silver: 2012

Applause Given: 319
Applause Received: 265

Originally Posted by: coltonja Go to Quoted Post
This was awesome, macbob! Thanks for sharing.

It made me really excited thinking about going there with my dad for the Lions game on Oct 6.

We took the tour Saturday. They don't do tours on game day. And they don't take reservations/calls. It's first-come/first-served. They start selling tickets at 0730 on Saturdays before game-day, but you can choose whatever time you want to take the tour (as long as a time isn't already booked up).

They have two different tours: a 60 min Stadium Tour and a 90 min Legendary Tour. There are fewer Legendary Tours, and they sell out quicker, so if you want one of those you need to show up in the first couple of hours. We got there around 0930, and the Legendary Tour times were booked up until 530pm already. We signed up, then went sight seeing and came back in the afternoon and did the Hall of Fame and took the tour.

The 60 min tours are more frequent, but you still don't want to wait until the afternoon to sign up. When we went back in the afternoon a father was walking in the Atrium with a little boy and was explaining to him they weren't able to sign up for a tour. :(

Here's the link we used in getting info on the Stadium Tours.

The tour schedule for 5 Oct tours is already published:

Packers.com wrote:
Saturday, Oct. 5: 8:00, 8:15, 8:30, 8:45, 9:00, 9:15, 9:30, 9:45, 10:00, 10:15, 10:30, 10:45, 11:00, 11:15, 11:30, 11:45, 12:00, 12:15, 12:30, 12:45, 1:15, 1:30, 1:45, 2:00, 2:15, 2:45, 3:15, 3:45, 4:00, 4:15, 4:30, 4:45, 5:00, 5:15, 5:30, 5:45, 6:00, 6:15, 6:30, 6:45, 7:00

As you can see, lots of times. They don't post the schedule for Legendary Tours, and don't really let you know they have them until you get to the ticket counter.

Packers.com has a page with GameDay information on it that provided a lot of good info: autograph signings (Frank Winters and Jim Flanigan Jr this past weekend), giveaways, contests/promotions, etc.

I hope you and your Dad enjoy the Detroit game as much as my son and I enjoyed the Redskins game.

edit: The best information (other than from Packers.com) came from PackersHome. Here's some of the links we used in advance to plan our trip. Ironman's posts were very helpful.

http://packershome.com/f...game-EVER.aspx#post21569

Here's another site that had good info: http://thehatefulnerd.livejournal.com/13984.html

After the game, the spots that attracted the biggest crowds were the Stadium Parking lot; Andruzzi's; and Stadium View. Brett Favre's Steakhouse had a lot of porta-pottys out front, but did not seem to have a crowd at all. We went to Titletown brewery where it was quieter (in part because they had a large group of Deaf fans who congregated there--lots of sign language, not so much noise).

Message modified by user Wednesday, September 18, 2013 5:12:31 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Offline cheeseheads123  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 5:20:02 PM(UTC)
cheeseheads123

Applause Given: 75
Applause Received: 142

Originally Posted by: John252 Go to Quoted Post

This year? I am going to that game
UserPostedImage
Offline play2win  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 7:04:07 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Great stuff macbob! Really happy for you and your son. What an awesome experience to share with him. And, you brought home a winner!
Offline John252  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 8:06:37 PM(UTC)
John252

United States

Applause Given: 4
Applause Received: 6

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 Go to Quoted Post
The Giants always seem to beat us...I'd choose a different game.

More of a convenience thing - It's the closest game to where I live, plus we have friends in the area.

As for always seeming to lose, I'll be wearing my lucky hat, so we'll be good.
UserPostedImage
Rss Feed