musccy
10 years ago

Slap on the wrist. Nothing in the NFL will ever change with these types of penalties. Two perfect shots of Meriweather targeting the head of a runner, and succeeding, and all they can come up with is 42K?

Originally Posted by: K_Buz 

As was stated above, I think the NFL took into account that he sort of suspended himself already.

sschind
10 years ago

Also the truth is we don't really know that much about the human brain and how impacts like that effect it.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

The truth is football is a dangerous sport and they knew that when they signed on and that is all that matters so screw you and your we don't really know that much about the human brain
crap.

That was sarcasm by the way
steveishere
10 years ago

The truth is football is a dangerous sport and they knew that when they signed on and that is all that matters so screw you and your we don't really know that much about the human brain
crap.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

That sarcasm makes me so mad you jerk!

[boxing]
DakotaT
10 years ago

crap.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

Football is dangerous enough without a bunch of jackoffs intentionally trying to injure one another. Merriweather should have been banned a whole season. That jackass James Harrison should have had a lifetime ban with all his cheap shots.
UserPostedImage
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

Letting them take the risk cost the guys who write the checks a lot of money. Whether anyone likes it or not that = change. Also the truth is we don't really know that much about the human brain and how impacts like that effect it. Unless you are some sort of brain expert you aren't really very qualified to say it's a "really damn small risk".

I'll say the same thing sschind said, except it AIN'T sarcasm. I don't have any sympathy for anybody makes who knows how many million $ playing a fun game KNOWING he is risking messing up his future life from brain injury. I also have little or no sympathy for the people writing the checks for those salaries (even less for the God damned lawyers and agents sticking their noses into the controversy).

As for the "small risk" you take the sum total of all NFL players and the sum total of all significant long term brain problems as a fraction of that, and hell yeah it is small. Furthermore, you take the sum total of all head first hits or even helmet to helmet hits, and the sum total of all even short term brain injuries - concussions as a fraction of that, and I'd venture to say that is a pretty small fraction also.

Besides, as I said, anybody not willing to take the risk can always quit and pass up that HUGE money for playing a fun game. I don't see very many doing that. Therefore, why make it less risky just because some namby pamby fools get all sanctimonious about the rare consequences?
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
steveishere
10 years ago

I'll say the same thing sschind said, except it AIN'T sarcasm. I don't have any sympathy for anybody makes who knows how many million $ playing a fun game KNOWING he is risking messing up his future life from brain injury. I also have little or no sympathy for the people writing the checks for those salaries (even less for the God damned lawyers and agents sticking their noses into the controversy).

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

Thing is your sympathy means exactly jack and shit one way or the other. It's not your money it's theirs and they'll do with it what they wish. Hence the rules changing. Fans are going to keep watching football and people who get seriously hurt are going to keep suing the people in charge so they are going to try and keep people from getting seriously hurt. Your personal feelings don't figure into the equation.
steveishere
10 years ago

As for the "small risk" you take the sum total of all NFL players and the sum total of all significant long term brain problems as a fraction of that, and hell yeah it is small. Furthermore, you take the sum total of all head first hits or even helmet to helmet hits, and the sum total of all even short term brain injuries - concussions as a fraction of that, and I'd venture to say that is a pretty small fraction also.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

Really? So what are the numbers then? What are the sum totals of brain damage? You really have no clue what the numbers are. You are making a guess on numbers that have been wholly undocumented over the years. There is no list on how many people have been damaged and how damaged they are and how many people were uninjured. Nobody knows. You are "venturing to say" your opinion on something that experts who spend their life studying don't even know that much about.

Either way if the guys in charge of the NFL did what you wanted and didn't give a shit about people getting TBIs or dieing the game wouldn't exist for very much longer. So your genius ideas would kill the game and it wouldn't matter anyway. Don't understand how you cannot see that.
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

Thing is your sympathy means exactly jack and sh!t one way or the other. It's not your money it's theirs and they'll do with it what they wish. Hence the rules changing. Fans are going to keep watching football and people who get seriously hurt are going to keep suing the people in charge so they are going to try and keep people from getting seriously hurt. Your personal feelings don't figure into the equation.

You are exactly right about that. Therefore, I will go on to say, hahahahaha, that the REAL evil here is the media people - stirring up similar feelings as valuable as jack shit in favor of all this silly shit. The damn media is on the same level of rottenness as the God damned blood-sucking lawyers who enable the damn lawsuits, etc. you are talking about.

Just expressing some jack shit feelings hahahaha.

texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

Really? So what are the numbers then? What are the sum totals of brain damage? You really have no clue what the numbers are. You are making a guess on numbers that have been wholly undocumented over the years. There is no list on how many people have been damaged and how damaged they are and how many people were uninjured. Nobody knows. You are "venturing to say" your opinion on something that experts who spend their life studying don't even know that much about.

Either way if the guys in charge of the NFL did what you wanted and didn't give a sh!t about people getting TBIs or dieing the game wouldn't exist for very much longer. So your genius ideas would kill the game and it wouldn't matter anyway. Don't understand how you cannot see that.

Well, you could start, I suppose, with the participants in that damn lawsuit as a fraction of total NFL players in that time period.

You are, of course, correct about that opinion, which I guess, makes my jack shit opinion about as valuable as those self-proclaimed experts.

Kill the game? You mean like it did the first hundred years or so up to now? Dying? Has anybody EVER died in an NFL game? I seem to recall a Detroit Lion back 50 or so years ago, but he had a heart attack because of a genetic disorder about cholesterol susceptibility or something - not really part of this discussion. If you can cite ANYBODY whose premature death was directly linked to head shots or whatever, I'd like to hear it. I'm pretty sure there aren't very many in all those years.

The thing that could kill the game (although almost certainly won't because people with common sense will prevail) is this idiotic emphasis and lawsuits, etc. on this ridiculous topic.

And not one word of reply about the possibility of players quitting because the risk is too great. If the risk is too great for the reward, you get out of the stock market, you don't bet on the horse, whatever. The fact that they ain't quitting in droves says the risk ain't very great - and the wimpy do-gooders want to make the risk even less? I have to ask WHY?
K_Buz
10 years ago

As was stated above, I think the NFL took into account that he sort of suspended himself already.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

I find that hard to believe. I'm no expert in NFL contracts, but I believe he will still collect a check when he out with his concussion, but if he were to be suspended, he would not.

Fan Shout
dfosterf (5h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (12h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (13h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (14h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (17h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (19h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (19h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (19h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (19h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (19h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (19h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (19h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (19h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (19h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (20h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (20h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (20h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (20h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.