shield4life
10 years ago
I'm more pissed about us not being able to convert the turnovers into touchdowns. That close down the field we need to get more TD with the talent we've got on offense. We should of had at least 2 TD instead of FG's if offense had actually showed up. Only players that showed up today we're actually Franklin & Starks on the offense.
Glad To Be A Packers Fan.
John252
10 years ago
It's a bit difficult for Rodgers to mount a comeback when all his passes are getting tipped since the O-line is getting dominated. It's what most ball games come down to - how effective your offensive/defensive lines are.

Then again having key members of the team dropping like flies can't help either.
UserPostedImage
hardrocker950
10 years ago
Most irritating part of this game - Cinci shot themselves in the foot several times, and rather than making the most of it the pack took the gun from them and shot themselves right back.

I was disappointed in the 4th and inches - instead of going with a sweep or anything to make the defense have to adjust - we see the usual Mike McCarthy "rushing" play call. This "up the middle" boneheaded call caused a fumble circus that costed us the lead.

I could name numerous things that made me shout 4 letter beauties, but I think we can all name the obvious ones.

Let's get healthy and clean these mistakes up!
Gaycandybacon
10 years ago

Most irritating part of this game - Cinci shot themselves in the foot several times, and rather than making the most of it the pack took the gun from them and shot themselves right back.

I was disappointed in the 4th and inches - instead of going with a sweep or anything to make the defense have to adjust - we see the usual Mike McCarthy "rushing" play call. This "up the middle" boneheaded call caused a fumble circus that costed us the lead.

I could name numerous things that made me shout 4 letter beauties, but I think we can all name the obvious ones.

Let's get healthy and clean these mistakes up!

Originally Posted by: hardrocker950 

Ya the Rodgers interception to hall and that 4th down stupid call (feel bad for franklin even though you can't drop the rock at all times) Made me say Feck a lot too. Burnett and Hayward back against the lions? Should be a good return.
macbob
10 years ago

Aaron does need to do something about this whole "4th quarter curse" thing.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Maybe we need to tag team a QB for the 4th Qtr...

Tim Tebow's available...just sayin'... :-"
UserPostedImage
play2win
10 years ago

This means nothing, unless it can be compared to at least Brett Favre and Mike McCarthy and Favre and Mike Holmgren.

Show us those numbers please. If not, then that stat is as useful as saying the team with the most points wins 100% of the time.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Are you crazy? How is 0-18 insignificant and meaningless? We get down on good teams and we apparently cannot come from behind for the win.

My bigger point is that this is not all on Aaron Rodgers, as Mike McCarthy has to pull his head out of his ass and start having all phases of his team ready to take the field, including himself and his staff. The 0-17 figure prior to losing this last one came from another report that I posted a link to.

Why is our Kick Returner still dropping balls back there 3 weeks into the season, when this was a problem going into the season? Clearly, the problem went unaddressed.

Some fans may be unfamiliar with Bill Kenney, the Kansas City Chiefs’ signal caller from the 1980s. Most fans who even know Kenney are scratching their heads right now to figure out what he has to do with Green Bay’s Aaron Rodgers.

Bill who?

On the surface, the two have very little in common. But they share one startling similarity: Rodgers and Kenney are two of the worst quarterbacks of all time when it comes to fourth-quarter comeback opportunities:
Rodgers is 3-18 (.143)
Kenney was 3-27 (.100)
Rodgers was a first-round pick drafted to replace the legendary Brett Favre, while Kenney was Miami’s Mr. Irrelevant choice in the 1978 draft. He was technically next to last, but the final pick never made it to training camp so Kenney got the title. The Chiefs drafted Todd Blackledge in 1983 to replace Kenney.

Kenney was an average quarterback with a 34-43 record as a starter, and his only playoff appearance was coming off the bench in a defeat. Kenney is the only Mr. Irrelevant to ever make the Pro Bowl, as he was an alternate for his 1983 season in which he became the fourth NFL quarterback to throw for 4,000 yards in a season, beating Lynn Dickey (the fifth) by a day.

Rodgers is statistically out of this world. He has gone 41-21 in the last four years and won a Super Bowl and Super Bowl MVP in 2010. In 69 games, Rodgers already has 27 more touchdown passes and 89 more passing yards than Kenney had in his career (106 games).

But Kenney and Rodgers do have quite a bit in common.

Kenney and Rodgers are two of only five quarterbacks to produce a game with four touchdown passes and two touchdown runs. They both even had 38 pass attempts in that game. But that is a one-game comparison that just makes for interesting trivia.

The statistical similarities we are talking about go much deeper than one game, or one season for that matter. The greater similarity is that Rodgers, like Kenney, has consistently failed to come up big in critical fourth-quarter comeback opportuntiies.

It is the reason Kenney was not held in higher regard in his day, and it's the reason that has kept Rodgers from even more success in Green Bay.

A refresher in case you forgot your Captain Comeback terminology: a fourth-quarter comeback opportunity is when an offense has possession of the ball in the fourth quarter, trailing by 1-8 points (one score).

And Rodgers falls far short of most of his contemporaries. Consider Giants QB Eli Manning and Cowboys QB Tony Romo.
Manning, who knocked the 15-1 Packers out of the playoffs last season, is 21-22 (.488) in fourth-quarter comeback opportunities.
Romo, who is widely perceived as a huge choker, is 13-20 (.394) in fourth-quarter comeback opportuntiies.
Hell, even JaMarcus Russell was 3-6 in his short career; he was a defensive stop away from 4-5, and one of his other losses came when Justin Fargas fumbled the ball on the drive’s only play.

Some believe these things even out over the years, but Kenney played nine seasons, and Rodgers’ record involves the last five. How many years does one need to display a good or bad record in close games before you believe it is more than just a random fluke?

At some point, pure dumb luck should have given them a boost. Instead, Rodgers is Mr. Irrelevant in the fourth quarter, much like Kenney was Mr Irrelevant in the draft.

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/aaron-rodgers-mr-irrelevant-fourth-quarter/15278/
Zero2Cool
10 years ago

Are you crazy? How is 0-18 insignificant and meaningless?

Originally Posted by: play2win 

Are you going to share what was requested or is this just another dismissive stat that we have nothing to compare it to? It seems kind of obvious to me that a team that is above .500 is going to win, as indicated by their record.

Stats are great, I love them, but it really justify them, you need something to compare them to. I'm interested in seeing Favre/McCarthy or even Favre/Holmgren. You were able to collected Rodgers/McCarthy. I have confidence you can do this.

Edit, oh, and yes, I am.
UserPostedImage
play2win
10 years ago

Are you going to share what was requested or is this just another dismissive stat that we have nothing to compare it to? It seems kind of obvious to me that a team that is above .500 is going to win, as indicated by their record.

Stats are great, I love them, but it really justify them, you need something to compare them to. I'm interested in seeing Favre/McCarthy or even Favre/Holmgren. You were able to collected Rodgers/McCarthy. I have confidence you can do this.

Edit, oh, and yes, I am.

Hahaha. Actually, I recall looking into Favre a long time ago regarding this, and he was not great at the 4th quarter comebacks either. Hence, the one Superbowl title... He should have had many.

BTW, I edited my post with some info on Rodgers. Meh, I don't like it, but there it is. In ALL game winning drives, Rodgers was just 6-20 at the time the article was written (July, 2012), a .231 winning percentage.

Edit, oh, and I knew you were. That was hardly a question.
Zero2Cool
10 years ago
I don't like it either. I actually feel more comfortable with Mason Crosby kicking a game winning 47 yard FG than Aaron Rodgers trying to drive for a touchdown to win the game from 50 yards out and 90 seconds on the clock.

Rodgers is great when things are going his way. When he's getting roughed up and hit, he buckles, just like Tom Brady.
UserPostedImage
play2win
10 years ago

I don't like it either. I actually feel more comfortable with Mason Crosby kicking a game winning 47 yard FG than Aaron Rodgers trying to drive for a touchdown to win the game from 50 yards out and 90 seconds on the clock.

Rodgers is great when things are going his way. When he's getting roughed up and hit, he buckles, just like Tom Brady.

My wife is a very good football fan, and a diehard Packers fan, and she would freak out hearing you say that.😆 She does not care much for Mason Crosby.

The whole thing is really F'd up. Mike McCarthy owns a huge share of the blame. As the article was written in July 2012, I would say we are trending in the exact same direction if not worse. Figure, too, this is a historic rate that Rodgers/McCarthy and that Packers are losing close games.

JaMarcus Russell was better...

Here's some more. A total of FIVE 4th Quarter comebacks, 2 against the hapless Lions('08,'12), 2 against the hapless 2009 Bears, and 1 against the hapless Saints without their HC last year.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/comeback.cgi?player=RodgAa00 

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/captain-comeback-career-records-the-clutch-for-active-qbs/16571/ 

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2013/quarterbacks-game-winning-drive-study 

See how the best quarterbacks in the league largely make up the active leaders in GWDs? That is why Rodgers' 9-24 (.273) record at GWD opportunities continues to baffle me. Yeah, he's had some bad luck, but not significantly more so than the quarterbacks with more wins, which includes most of the league. A common trait with front-runner quarterbacks -- Len Dawson and Kurt Warner are two great examples -- is that even the few close wins they have are not that impressive. Rodgers has great stats on his nine GWDs (No. 4 in points per drive), but two of them came against the 2008 Lions (0-16). Another came against the Saints' awful defense last season.
His last GWD, at home against the 2012 Lions, was 59 yards and included seven running plays (handoffs). The closest thing to a signature drive is the one he had in New York (2011) in the final minute to set up a winning field goal to break a 35-35 tie. Given his career performance, I would like to see more from him in this area. It's a Green Bay problem, but the "best quarterback in the NFL" cannot have just nine GWDs against seven losing teams in five seasons.

Ugh....

And then, since you asked for it, Favre:

Brett Favre is supposed to stay retired, so hopefully that will spare us any chance of the media claiming he is chasing the comeback record. He is credited with 42, but only has 27 comebacks, and is not exactly known for any real famous ones. Maybe the long game-winning TD pass to Sterling Sharpe against the Lions in the playoffs would be worth mentioning. Just not a situation Favre thrived in. The opportunities were certainly there for him to have more than anyone, but he did not come through with the record amount. A propensity for turnovers via forced throws is not what you look for in a QB in this situation.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=3401

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/comebacks_career.htm 

Favre is tied at #5 with Fran Tarkenton.

Rodgers is tied at #169 with the likes of Andy Dalton, Russell Wilson and Andrew Luck. No shit. Tom Brady is #8 all-time, tied with Johnny Unitas.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (8h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (8h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.