MintBaconDrivel
10 years ago

GREEN BAY — Roughly 24 hours later, Mike McCarthy wasn't second-guessing himself. Rather, when the subject of his fourth-down call in Sunday's loss to Cincinnati came up Monday, the Green Bay Packers coach recalled the words of one of his mentors.

"A real smart coach told me this once, at a young age, 'There's two types of guys who call plays: 'There's guys who second guess themselves, and there's guys that lie about second guessing themselves,'" McCarthy said of the decision to hand the ball off to rookie running back Johnathan Franklin on fourth-and-inches — a call that backfired when Franklin fumbled and the Bengals returned it for the game-winning touchdown.

"I go home after every game and think about every call. Also, what I've learned to look at (is) the conversation and the things lead up to each call, whether it was during the week, whether it was during the time out in that one particular call on the fourth down. So that's how I deal with it."

That wise coach was Marty Schottenheimer, who as coach of the Kansas City Chiefs gave McCarthy his break in the NFL. Speaking of the call specifically, McCarthy said he didn't regret not kicking the field goal or trying a different short-yardage play, such as a quarterback sneak.

"No, it was a solid call," McCarthy said. "There's a number of things that went into that decision based on the mark. In pregame for the field goal, and the wind, and so forth. I had plenty of time to think about it."

Offensive coordinator Tom Clements said the play does not call for Franklin to try to leap over the pile, which was what the rookie running back was attempting to do when the ball came loose before he got off the ground.

"It's not a called leap, it just depends how the front plays it," Clements said. "Usually they try to stay low, (so) that's usually a good option."

Asked if he considered having quarterback Aaron Rodgers sneak it, Clements said, "We've used them in the past. What we've tried to develop are some runs that give you the same benefit as a quarterback sneak with a guy who's used to running the ball. (Rodgers) is not adverse to QB sneaks."

Jason Wilde  wrote:

sschind
10 years ago
Contrary to what a lot of fans are thinking and saying I don't think he should second guess it. The stupidest complaint is that he handed the ball off to a rookie. Two responses to that. a rookie that was our only active running back and a rookie that had gained over 100 yards in less that 30 minutes of football.
Zero2Cool
10 years ago
I was hoping for QB sneak. My only gripe is I'd have liked to see B.J. Raji or someone large in there as FB to help push the pile for the light Franklin.
UserPostedImage
hardrocker950
10 years ago

I was hoping for QB sneak. My only gripe is I'd have liked to see B.J. Raji or someone large in there as FB to help push the pile for the light Franklin.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Typically in 4th and inches - if you want to pound the ball up the middle, you do want the big guys up front. Not the approach I would have taken, but in that scenario I fully agree.
nerdmann
10 years ago

Typically in 4th and inches - if you want to pound the ball up the middle, you do want the big guys up front. Not the approach I would have taken, but in that scenario I fully agree.

Originally Posted by: hardrocker950 

No way EDS pushes those DTs back.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
PackFanWithTwins
10 years ago
I don't mind him deciding to go for it on 4th. I don't mind the play call.

I DO mind that they didn't get out of that play when the Bengals had it perfectly defended. We were out numbered 5 defenders to 3 blockers on the weak side of the line. I don't know what McCarthy could see from the sideline, but he should have been able to see that. His OC should have seen that from the booth. And Rodgers definately should have seen it.

We had 2 TO, and the wrong play when matched up against their defensive formation. We should have used it, and come out with a better plan.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Fan Shout
dfosterf (2h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (2h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (4h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (6h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (6h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (9h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (10h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (20h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.