MintBaconDrivel
10 years ago

GREEN BAY — With Jeremy Ross no longer gainfully employed by the club — although, oddly enough, coach Mike McCarthy isn't ruling out him rejoining the team — and Randall Cobb clearly a vital part of the offense, the Green Bay Packers aren't exactly overflowing with options on kickoff and punt returns.

As of Monday, when the team released Ross following his muffed kickoff that helped put the team in a 14-0 hole less than six minutes into Sunday's 34-30 loss at Cincinnati, McCarthy and special teams coordinator Shawn Slocum hadn't decided what they'd do to replace him. The Packers are off this week for their bye and return to action Oct. 5 against Detroit.

"I don't know that," Slocum replied when asked if Ross' replacement is on the roster or would come from outside. "We'll have more discussions on that as we go through today and this next week. Fortunately, we've got a bye week and then we'll get into our game plan for Detroit."

Ross had some big moments late last season — a 58-yard punt return in the Packers' Dec. 23 victory over Tennessee, and a 44-yard kickoff return and a 32-yard punt return against Minnesota in the regular-season finale on Dec. 30 — before his costly fumble against the San Francisco 49ers in the NFC Divisional Playoffs. He had an up-and-down training camp but the Packers kept him at the final cutdown, and on six kickoff returns this season, he was averaging a horrendous 12.5 yards per return. On punts, Ross averaged 10 yards on two returns, with two fair catches.

In the opener against the 49ers, Ross hesitated on a ball kicked into the end zone and, combined with a penalty, left the Packers starting a series inside their own 10-yard line. Then came Sunday's gaffe.

"We haven't given up on Jeremy. He's had some opportunities, he's done some good things for us. But there's some things we may have to shift as we move forward from a roster standpoint/ He's obviously not with us right now but I'd have no problem working with him again," McCarthy said. "We always have an idea (about a replacement) but as far as how we prepare, and really with the game plan, and as we go into the game with Detroit will determine which direction we go."

The Packers did use Cobb sparingly on returns during the first three games, but he leads the team in receiving with 21 catches for 290 yards. Rookie running back Johnathan Franklin could be an option on kickoff returns, while rookie cornerback Micah Hyde could handle punt returns. Both saw action in those roles in preseason.

"We'll put someone out there that can function and do the job the right way," Slocum said. "I think going back to last spring until this point, any time I've been asked a question or our head coach about who our returner was, Randall's always been part of the mix. That hasn't changed.

As for Ross, the mistakes simply piled up, from the lost fumble against the 49ers in the playoffs to the hesitation in the opener to Sunday's turnover.

"We had a big play yesterday and that's two in the last four games. Ball security's the No. 1 thing we do in the return game and we've got to play better than that," Slocum said. "I feel bad for Jeremy. He was a good pro when he was here but, at the same time, this is professional football and everyone has a job to do at a high level.

"I don't think he got off to a very good start on kickoff return with what happened in San Francisco this year. He was doing fine on punt returns. Yesterday, that was a bad play."

Jason Wilde  wrote:

sschind
10 years ago
It seemed to me that McCarthy kind of made up his mind after the muffed KO that Ted Thompson would cut Ross loose and it looked like he really tried to give him chances to redeem himself. It was like he was saying OK Jeremy, you probably just lost your job but if I can I'll try to help you keep it if you can show us something. He threw several passes his way, kept him on returns, put him in the backfield (not like there was much of a choice) and overall he didn't do poorly. he had the nice catch and run for a first down it just wasn't enough.

You wonder it they will look to bring in someone who will just be a return man or someone who they can realistically use on offense or defense as well. It seems like a waste just to have a return man but when you look at the best ones they make minimal contributions on offense or defense at best. Now if we could find someone like Hester in his prime no problem, you don't get on the field unless the other team is kicking the ball but if he is not going to be stellar is it that much more important he be a contributor elsewhere?
nerdmann
10 years ago

It seemed to me that McCarthy kind of made up his mind after the muffed KO that Ted Thompson would cut Ross loose and it looked like he really tried to give him chances to redeem himself. It was like he was saying OK Jeremy, you probably just lost your job but if I can I'll try to help you keep it if you can show us something. He threw several passes his way, kept him on returns, put him in the backfield (not like there was much of a choice) and overall he didn't do poorly. he had the nice catch and run for a first down it just wasn't enough.

You wonder it they will look to bring in someone who will just be a return man or someone who they can realistically use on offense or defense as well. It seems like a waste just to have a return man but when you look at the best ones they make minimal contributions on offense or defense at best. Now if we could find someone like Hester in his prime no problem, you don't get on the field unless the other team is kicking the ball but if he is not going to be stellar is it that much more important he be a contributor elsewhere?

Originally Posted by: sschind 

What's Chastin West up to these days?

Mike's trying to say it's just normal churning of the bottom of the roster, and that they might even bring Ross back. Personally, I don't see it.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
John252
10 years ago
It'd sure be neat to have former ECU wide receiver Dwayne Harris returning punts. He's doing a pretty good job in Dallas, and I still think he's a bit underrated as a receiver. Not saying it has any chance of happening, but a man can dream.
UserPostedImage
Mucky Tundra
10 years ago
Maybe Hyde will get some looks at returning once Hayward comes back to takeover slot CB?
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
play2win
10 years ago
The guy was very clearly untrustworthy as a KR/PR. You could tell he lacked confidence and seemed, too often, to be unsure.

"Sure," is the word we are looking for to describe the returner we all want back there for GB. I think we have that with 3 players already on this roster in Cobb, Hyde and Franklin. We'll be OK.

I'll say this, if McCarthy was using Ross late, and going to him with pass plays just to help him save his job, rather than going to the best player options to win last week's game, then there is a problem. It looked forced to me. I couldn't believe they were throwing to Ross looking to make plays.
steveishere
10 years ago

The guy was very clearly untrustworthy as a KR/PR. You could tell he lacked confidence and seemed, too often, to be unsure.

"Sure," is the word we are looking for to describe the returner we all want back there for GB. I think we have that with 3 players already on this roster in Cobb, Hyde and Franklin. We'll be OK.

I'll say this, if McCarthy was using Ross late, and going to him with pass plays just to help him save his job, rather than going to the best player options to win last week's game, then there is a problem. It looked forced to me. I couldn't believe they were throwing to Ross looking to make plays.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

I don't think it's any of that. I think one of the top 3 was probably exhausted so they put some fresh legs in there.
nerdmann
10 years ago

At the time, I thought that was why Aaron was pissed off at Mike.

We were on the goal line, iirc and Aaron was rolling out to the right. Ross was the guy in front of him, and Aaron didn't want to throw it to him, because Ross is a disaster. So Rodgers tried to run it, unsuccessfully.

Then he went to the sidelines and told Mike how he felt about Ross being his option there. LOL
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
sschind
10 years ago

I don't think it's any of that. I think one of the top 3 was probably exhausted so they put some fresh legs in there.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

Probably but it sure seemed like it. I don't think Ross has had that much offensive action in hie entire career.

sschind
10 years ago

I wouldn't say he was using him instead of the best option, after all Ross is supposed to be a professional, just that it seemed like he was calling his number a lot. Like Steveishere said it was probably just coincidence. I'm not sure Mike McCarthy would have wanted to keep Ross around anyway, he generally isn't the kind of guy who takes fumbling issues lightly. He certainly benched him quickly after the playoff fumble.
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (1h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (2h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (5h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (6h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (16h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (23h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.