nerdmann
10 years ago

The figures are a little bit skewed by the long run of Cobb - more in the category of a trick play that an ordinary run. Other than that, using your figures, there were about 11 plays resulting in 2nd and long and 6 plays resulting in 2nd and fairly short - and nothing over 9 yards. I don't know about the rest of you, but I prefer the usual Packer way - pass pass pass and pass some more - setting up occasional runs that 3 or 4 of which probably gain more than all 15 of those.

Even I would rather see a run on 3rd and 1 - unless, of course, you can pull off the old Bart Starr thing. Running 3 times from the 6 or 7 yard line, though? Nope, not a good idea. I'll take Rodgers passing 3 times over those 3 runs any day. You get to first down on the 3, and yeah, run it in, but not the 6 or 7.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

Bart Starr had the other team intimidated with his running game. Teams were expecting a power run.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
play2win
10 years ago

hahahahaha

So when you people want the Packers to run and they're not you get upset..

But now that he's running it now it's too much...?

hahahahaha

Originally Posted by: Gaycandybacon 

No, not for me. I want him to run it more. Especially on 3rd and short. 4th and short. Run the rock!!! Pound it home.

Really kind of dumb to go to a pass play when your OL and RBs are having such great success. Keep it on the ground, the clock running, and the chains moving. That's what will win us football games. It will open everything up on the pass so much more. Defenses won't know what to do.

Personally, I think this team is finding its way, and when they do, look out NFL.
warhawk
10 years ago
I think they are mixing it up just right. We are like 5th in rushing offense. You don't run the ball on first down every single damn time. Just like you don't pass either.

Sooner or later teams are going to finally get that 8th guy up in the box. The way the team is playing they will have no choice.

That's when it's going to get real fun. The big picture here is the birth of the running game will work right into our sweet spot as the season goes on and that's ARod carving teams to pieces.

The fact teams have not already adjusted to the run is a testimony of the fear teams have for Arod. It's pick your poison time boys.
"The train is leaving the station."
steveishere
10 years ago

No, not for me. I want him to run it more. Especially on 3rd and short. 4th and short. Run the rock!!! Pound it home.

Really kind of dumb to go to a pass play when your OL and RBs are having such great success. Keep it on the ground, the clock running, and the chains moving. That's what will win us football games. It will open everything up on the pass so much more. Defenses won't know what to do.

Personally, I think this team is finding its way, and when they do, look out NFL.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

A huge reason the OL and RBs are having success is because the other teams don't care about them. They are trying to stop Rodgers most of the time. When the other teams expect us to run it and try to stop that they seem to have a lot more success. They are mixing it up just fine there is no reason to run more than is necessary. I guess I'd like to see them try to run more in the short yardage situations but I'm not really convinced it will lead to that much success. We were running the ball fine vs Detroit but passing is what blew the game open. No need to run it more than we have been.
yooperfan
10 years ago

The figures are a little bit skewed by the long run of Cobb - more in the category of a trick play that an ordinary run. Other than that, using your figures, there were about 11 plays resulting in 2nd and long and 6 plays resulting in 2nd and fairly short - and nothing over 9 yards. I don't know about the rest of you, but I prefer the usual Packer way - pass pass pass and pass some more - setting up occasional runs that 3 or 4 of which probably gain more than all 15 of those.

Even I would rather see a run on 3rd and 1 - unless, of course, you can pull off the old Bart Starr thing. Running 3 times from the 6 or 7 yard line, though? Nope, not a good idea. I'll take Rodgers passing 3 times over those 3 runs any day. You get to first down on the 3, and yeah, run it in, but not the 6 or 7.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

Woody Hayes, the late, iconic football coach from Ohio State, once said: "when
you pass the football 3 things can happen and 2 of them are bad."

hardrocker950
10 years ago

I think they are mixing it up just right. We are like 5th in rushing offense. You don't run the ball on first down every single damn time. Just like you don't pass either.

Sooner or later teams are going to finally get that 8th guy up in the box. The way the team is playing they will have no choice.

That's when it's going to get real fun. The big picture here is the birth of the running game will work right into our sweet spot as the season goes on and that's ARod carving teams to pieces.

The fact teams have not already adjusted to the run is a testimony of the fear teams have for Arod. It's pick your poison time boys.

Originally Posted by: warhawk 

My thoughts as well. I would like to see them run it on 3rd and short, but not every time. Keep them guessing - this is exactly what you want. Effective playcalling is calling a variety of attacks. When we as fans are scratching our heads thinking "why are they passing?" - good chance the defense is doing the same.

I suppose from a fan point of view, it is much easier to criticize - but personally I was happy with about 75-80% of the decisions (which is much higher than most weekends)

Once we get rolling full steam ahead - this will be a highly feared offense (more than it already is!)
mi_keys
10 years ago

My thoughts as well. I would like to see them run it on 3rd and short, but not every time. Keep them guessing - this is exactly what you want. Effective playcalling is calling a variety of attacks. When we as fans are scratching our heads thinking "why are they passing?" - good chance the defense is doing the same.

I suppose from a fan point of view, it is much easier to criticize - but personally I was happy with about 75-80% of the decisions (which is much higher than most weekends)

Once we get rolling full steam ahead - this will be a highly feared offense (more than it already is!)

Originally Posted by: hardrocker950 

This. I think we pass too often on the third/fourth and short situations but I'm not opposed to the idea of passing in a third/fourth and short situation on occasion.

I think the current percentage is skewed too much towards passing in part as a carry over from the team we have been the past few years offensively. It's been years since we've had a chance in hell of converting short yardage situations on the ground because didn't have the offensive line or running back to do so with anything remotely approaching consistency. This handicap necessitated the use of more pass plays in these situations.

Now we're moving in the right direction. A lot of good things from Lacy and Franklin early on in their careers. Starks has shown flashes when healthy. This young line has shown ability to run block at times. I'm still not convinced we can line up as a goal line offense and tell the defense we're going to run it down your throat and there's not a thing you can do about it like the Badgers do. But showing various looks, stretching the defense to create match ups in the middle, I think and hope we will start to see more running plays mixed in on the short yardage situations; and hopefully more success there from.

In a slightly unrelated note, one gadget play I wouldn't mind us trying out would be the jet sweep the Badgers have been running so effectively. Run either Franklin or Cobb from the slot in motion with Lacy in the backfield. Show the threat of a sweep, power run between the tackles or open the potential for a play action pass. I wonder if it could work.
Born and bred a cheesehead
Dulak
10 years ago

Our first scoring drive, 1st and goal at the 6 or 7, and he passes... Just run the freaking ball. If you are 1st and goal, and you run it 3 straight times, you'll score a TD better than 75% of the time. An old Easterbrook maxim that I believe still holds true today. Why is that so hard to understand? I mean, for a HC and offensive genius? Mike McCarthy, you're making this game much more difficult than it needs to be.

How many 3rd and 1s did we have, and he goes to a pass? Crazy. Just run the damn ball, and score!

Wow. It takes this guy half a season to figure out how to run the ball. Every year. Mike McCarthy, just run. It does wonders for scoring and for the pass game too. You've got the backs. Run the football, with confidence. We should have blown DET out far worse than we did. I love seeing 28 attempts by our RBs, as this is way better than Mike has done in the past, but I think we can push that into the 30s easily with far better results. We should be doing 30+ attempts by our RBs every game.

Also, I would love to see more INTs from our secondary. Other than that, great win! Holding Reggie Bush to 44 rushing yds was masterful work by our defense. Nice work in the front 7 by the Packers.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

While I do agree with 3rd and short 2 or 1 yards almost for sure ...

The others ... maybe Mike McCarthy is used to our run game the previous 6 years where we have a real hard time getting anywhere ... grant running into his own guys etc ...

I keep on wanting us to use raji as a fullback like we did in our SB run - not sure why we went away with that one ...

play2win
10 years ago

While I do agree with 3rd and short 2 or 1 yards almost for sure ...

The others ... maybe Mike McCarthy is used to our run game the previous 6 years where we have a real hard time getting anywhere ... grant running into his own guys etc ...

I keep on wanting us to use raji as a fullback like we did in our SB run - not sure why we went away with that one ...

Originally Posted by: Dulak 

I want to see The Freezer back there too!
Fan Shout
dfosterf (59m) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (1h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (2h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (4h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (5h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (7h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (8h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (19h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.