wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
10 years ago

I guess it takes two well placed hits to turn a position of strength for the Green Bay Packers into a possibly dire circumstance. It is possible that the Green Bay Packers will be without the services of both WRs James Jones and Randall Cobb for some time.   Cobb’s injury looks to be the most serious but a tweet circulating around Twitter indicated that neither Cobb or Jones’s injuries were as serious as some expected.

LombardiAve  wrote:

UserPostedImage
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago
It's time for Boykin to start earning his keep. I thought we should have kept 6 instead of 5 WRs on the 53. We are gonna get shortened up someplace assuming neither Jones or Cobb goes on IR but one or both is out for a while. My guess is last in first out - Michael Hill is cut and somebody - White, Driver, Gurley, or most likely, somebody none of us are guessing - will be added.

I further predict that we still will have a dominating pass first offense, and we will run the table and go 14-2 for the regular season - regardless of who plays wideout.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Porforis
10 years ago
Boykin does need to earn his keep until one or both are back - I'm hoping a week of practice will help build some rhythm with Aaron and hopefully he'll be at least serviceable.

Coaching staff needs to be a bit more creative as well. With Lacie seemingly cementing the starting role, why not feature a handful of plays a game with Franklin in the backfield? I thought one of his big upsides was catching the ball out of the backfield and running screens. Obviously he's a bit undersized but if he needs to pass protect, he can't be too much worse than Finley.
beast
10 years ago

I'm not sure if it would work, but I want to see if it would work... Bostick at WR. They won't put him at TE because his blocking is so poor, but his non-blocking skills are very good for a TE. If WR has injuries why not at least get him some practice reps at WR? and see if he could help out there...

Who knows the worse blocking TE might be the best blocking WR... though I doubt it but maybe 😛 🙂
UserPostedImage
steveishere
10 years ago
Boykin had some miscommunications but he also showed he has some skills on that big catch and run. Hopefully he can build off that play and make an impact with the extra reps hell probably begetting the next couple weeks
yooperfan
10 years ago
My guess is that Ted will pluck a player from a practice squad.
If not his own, someone else's.
DoddPower
10 years ago

Boykin had some miscommunications but he also showed he has some skills on that big catch and run. Hopefully he can build off that play and make an impact with the extra reps hell probably begetting the next couple weeks

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

Yeah, Boykin showed he could play in the NFL, imo. Most of the problems looked like communication issues, to me, which mostly is a result of lack of practice. I doubt he'll ever be great, but he can be decent. He dropped some balls, but so did Nelson and Finley, so not much definitive can be said about that. I expect him to improve substantially over the next few weeks. I liked him in college.
sschind
10 years ago

Yeah, Boykin showed he could play in the NFL, imo. Most of the problems looked like communication issues, to me, which mostly is a result of lack of practice. I doubt he'll ever be great, but he can be decent. He dropped some balls, but so did Nelson and Finley, so not much definitive can be said about that. I expect him to improve substantially over the next few weeks. I liked him in college.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

I agree with you on one thing and disagree on another.

As far as showing he can play if you are referring to the catch and run, although it was very nice, I'm sure you could find a similar play for just about every wide receiver who has played in the NFL. I wouldn't say he has shown he can play just yet.

As far as the agreement it does looks like many of the initial miscues were communication errors and simple inexperience. I too would expect to see improvement with increased playing time.

I also agree that he may be a decent player. I just hope Jones comes back quickly (Cobb too for that matter) because I'd much rather have that decent WR as my #3 guy than my #2 guy.

OK, I guess that counts as two agreements.
PackFanWithTwins
10 years ago
WR depth should be in question. This team has been known for deep WR groups. 5 or 6 deep. We came into this season, 3 deep. this is one of the concerns I had starting a couple years ago. I see this as part of the window closing. We could pay to have Jennings, Driver, Jones, Nelson before Rodgers got paid. Now that both He and Matthews are making coin, that leaves much less money to pay others.

It is going to harder and harder to have deep groups at any position as we start paying the guys Ted drafted.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
DoddPower
10 years ago

I agree with you on one thing and disagree on another.

As far as showing he can play if you are referring to the catch and run, although it was very nice, I'm sure you could find a similar play for just about every wide receiver who has played in the NFL. I wouldn't say he has shown he can play just yet.

As far as the agreement it does looks like many of the initial miscues were communication errors and simple inexperience. I too would expect to see improvement with increased playing time.

I also agree that he may be a decent player. I just hope Jones comes back quickly (Cobb too for that matter) because I'd much rather have that decent WR as my #3 guy than my #2 guy.

OK, I guess that counts as two agreements.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

I don't know, that play showed me enough, based on what I've seen of him otherwise (mostly in college), that he can be an effective #4 WR. I definitely don't think he'd make a good number 2, or even a number 3, but he's not really supposed to be that. If forced to play that role for a little while, he'll just need to make a few plays a game and I think the Packers will be OK. He's almost guaranteed to get single coverage often, and I think he can win enough to make a few plays a game against that coverage. The bigger burden is going to fall on someone such as Finley to pick up the slack. He obviously does have borderline elite talent, and he may be counted on to really show it for the foreseeable future.

But again, I think the key to all of this will be continuing to focus on the running game.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
dfosterf (28-Mar) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : Yes
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : No.
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (28-Mar) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

11h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

10-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.