Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Online Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2013 1:21:41 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,956
Applause Received: 2,190

@packers McCarthy-

Nick Perry does not have a chance to play this week.

James Jones may have a chance this week.

Randall Cobb will be out multiple weeks.

Message modified by user Monday, October 14, 2013 2:40:19 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Offline Porforis  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2013 1:29:55 PM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Applause Given: 169
Applause Received: 333

Uhoh, the McCarthy injury under-reporting kiss of death. I'm betting on Jones out for 4 weeks, Perry out for 8 but may be back for the postseason, Cobb's leg will need to be amputated.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
nerdmann on 10/14/2013(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2013 1:53:52 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,639
Applause Received: 656

Micheal Rodney

Quote:
Amidst all the injuries, Mike Neal is fine. Now that's irony, Alanis.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2013 2:54:41 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 13
Applause Received: 371

So next week we will not have Perry or Matthews?

Do we really have a choice but to basically run a 4-3 for the time being?
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline TengoJuego  
#5 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2013 3:16:06 PM(UTC)
TengoJuego

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2010

United States

Applause Given: 6
Applause Received: 1

Cobb fractured fibula, out 6-8 weeks: http://www.jsonline.com/...gs/sports/227733081.html
Offline nerdmann  
#6 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2013 3:31:54 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: TengoJuego Go to Quoted Post
Cobb fractured fibula, out 6-8 weeks: http://www.jsonline.com/...gs/sports/227733081.html

I'll take it. Give them the conditional IR tag and bring him back for the playoffs.

It wasn't his knee!

Hope this doesn't turn out to have been worse. I take this as good news.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline go.pack.go.  
#7 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2013 6:20:52 PM(UTC)
go.pack.go.

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 44

We just can't catch a break. Lose our best two pass rushing outside linebackers in consecutive weeks? Are you kidding me? Along with our starting Inside Linebacker? Oh my goodness...

And you can't say that Perry got hurt because he is "injury prone". He got hurt because a fatass lineman fell on his leg. That would've hurt anybody regardless of who it was. I hate it for Perry because this could have been his chance to prove that he can be a legitimate pass rusher in the league. Which in my opinion, he's already given us a good view of that.
Signature made by me
UserPostedImage
SUPERBOWL XLV CHAMPS!!!!
Offline beast  
#8 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2013 8:04:21 PM(UTC)
beast

Applause Given: 254
Applause Received: 314

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins Go to Quoted Post
So next week we will not have Perry or Matthews?

Do we really have a choice but to basically run a 4-3 for the time being?

Packers are short at edge rushers but I'm not sure going to a 4-3 would help anything.

3-4 is 3 DTs, 2 edge rushers, 2 LB and 4 DBs

4-3 is 2 DTs, 2 edge rushers, 3 LB and 4 DBs.

So both systems have two edge rushers, so I'm not sure switching to 4-3 would help. Unless they can have more DTs play 4-3 DE than 3-4 OLB... but the rookie OLBers might not be able to play 4-3 DE.

Personally I'd stay with the 3-4 because they're deep at DT and banged up at LB.

And maybe ask Datone Jones to get some reps at 3-4 OLB back-up. He moves very well, has long arms and played some LB in college his SR year as the team would move him around.

And ask the DTs to step it up and fill in for Neal and Jones on the nickel pass rush. But getting Jolly, Raji, Danieals, Wilson some more pass rush time seem like the least of all choices.
America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#9 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2013 8:14:13 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 13
Applause Received: 371

Originally Posted by: beast Go to Quoted Post
Packers are short at edge rushers but I'm not sure going to a 4-3 would help anything.

3-4 is 3 DTs, 2 edge rushers, 2 LB and 4 DBs

4-3 is 2 DTs, 2 edge rushers, 3 LB and 4 DBs.

So both systems have two edge rushers, so I'm not sure switching to 4-3 would help. Unless they can have more DTs play 4-3 DE than 3-4 OLB... but the rookie OLBers might not be able to play 4-3 DE.

Personally I'd stay with the 3-4 because they're deep at DT and banged up at LB.

And maybe ask Datone Jones to get some reps at 3-4 OLB back-up. He moves very well, has long arms and played some LB in college his SR year as the team would move him around.

And ask the DTs to step it up and fill in for Neal and Jones on the nickel pass rush. But getting Jolly, Raji, Danieals, Wilson some more pass rush time seem like the least of all choices.

Being deep at DT and thin at LBer is precisely the reason to play more of a 4-3. Raji, Pickett and Jolly would be perfect DTs, Neal and Jones would be the primary edge rushers while Daniels and Wilson could be either DE/DT. The main difference would be that the edge rushers don't typically have any pass coverage responsibility.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline nerdmann  
#10 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2013 8:31:08 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Being deep at DT and thin at LBer is precisely the reason to play more of a 4-3. Raji, Pickett and Jolly would be perfect DTs, Neal and Jones would be the primary edge rushers while Daniels and Wilson could be either DE/DT. The main difference would be that the edge rushers don't typically have any pass coverage responsibility.

We do have 4-3 personnel.
Offline beast  
#11 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2013 8:40:13 PM(UTC)
beast

Simple put the Packers probably aren't going to change their system now.

And they already basically run a 4-2 (which people call a 2-4) where the edge rushers don't typically have any pass coverage responsibity.

Going to a 4-3 would just take the nickel guy off the field and put another non-edge LB on the field (Barrington?) which is a bad idea because the lack of depth at LB.

In a 4-3, I'm not sure the rookies 3-4 OLB could play 4-3 DE nor 4-3 LB. I'm also not sure we want to see Daniels or Wilson playing at 4-3 DE, though they could just as easily plug them in at nickel 4-2 which the Packers already run.

So basically the system isn't going to change.

Though we both agree it might be interesting to see some of the other pass rushing DL join Neal at edge rushing especially when in the 4 man front (which Packers already run and don't need to change to a 4-3 for).

UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline beast  
#12 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2013 8:41:45 PM(UTC)
beast

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
We do have 4-3 personnel.

We have a 4-2 personnel, which is partly because they mostly run 4-2 (or have in the past) as they're 2-4 nickel package is basically a 4-2.
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline Wade  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, October 15, 2013 7:27:15 AM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 678
Applause Received: 698

The drop off between Matthews and Perry is pretty big.

Matthews is a huge loss (even if the D did look awesome without him last week). Perry? I'm not so sure. Oh, it hurts to lose a starter and reduce the bodies for rotation, but IMO before his injury he was one of the weaker defensive starters. He probably has more potential yet untapped, but the "yet untapped" can be "doesn't get tapped this year or ever".

Cobb, Matthews -- these are losses of people who have proven they provide things no one else does. Perry? At this point in his career he's, well, who knows. Uninjured he might be Mike Neal quality this year; or he might be Daryn Colledge quality. Who knows?
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Online Zero2Cool  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, October 15, 2013 8:04:56 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,956
Applause Received: 2,190

Packers still haven't won a Super Bowl since mistakenly letting Daryn Colledge sign elsewhere. Keep that in mind.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
gbguy20 on 10/15/2013(UTC)
Offline beast  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, October 15, 2013 10:42:13 AM(UTC)
beast

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
Packers still haven't won a Super Bowl since mistakenly letting Daryn Colledge sign elsewhere. Keep that in mind.

They also haven't won a Super Bowl since Finley had an injury that put him on the IR list
and Quarless was the starter at TE.

Hey!.... that gives me an idea.... here Finley, Finley, Finley Sarcasm

trap
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Rss Feed