MintBaconDrivel
10 years ago

GREEN BAY — Mike McCarthy is holding out hope that second-year cornerback Casey Hayward might finally make his 2013 season debut this week against Cleveland, but the Green Bay Packers coach knows that Hayward hasn't seen as much improvement from his injured hamstring as he'd hoped for in recent weeks.

That said, if Hayward finally does get the go-ahead to play, the Packers could have enough options for the defensive backs in their nickel and dime groups that safety Jerron McMillian, who made multiple critical errors during Sunday's 19-17 victory at Baltimore, may not be needed in that substitution package.

Hayward hasn't played all season because of a hamstring injury that he originally suffered while working out on his own a week before training camp opened on July 26. He aggravated the injury in his only preseason appearance, Aug. 23 against Seattle. He practiced on a limited basis for the second straight week last week but has yet to be cleared by the medical staff.

"Talking to Casey I think it was Friday or Saturday, he's a little frustrated. He's not quite where he needs to be," McCarthy said Monday. "Hopefully when he goes through his (testing) segment (Tuesday), we'll set the plan for him. But the last two weeks obviously he's been able to work on Thursday. We will not do a whole lot of work on the field Wednesday as a football team. Hopefully we can get him back out there and see where he is."

If Hayward has made progress, the Packers will have five cornerbacks — starters Sam Shields and Tramon Williams, Davon House, Micah Hyde and Hayward — to choose from for their six-DB dime package. House began Sunday's game against the Ravens as the third corner in that group (with Williams moving inside to the slot) but was replaced by Hyde, who played well in his stead.

"I think we've got some different options," defensive coordinator Dom Capers said Monday. "(But) I think you've got to be conscious of, with all the change, we've had a lot of change in our defense and I'm always conscious of that in terms of how much we can do. I was somewhat a little bit concerned about that going into the game, that I'd rather do a few things and do them extremely well and have the guys play fast and hard than to have any hesitation, especially when you've got two or three new guys playing in there for the first time."

McMillian served as the dime defensive back and tripped and fell to allow the Ravens to convert a fourth-and-21 with a 63-yard pass from Joe Flacco to Tandon Doss. McMillian then failed to get the defensive play call on the ensuing play and was beaten by tight end Dallas Clark for an 18-yard touchdown that pulled the Ravens to within two points.

"It's an unfortunate thing that happened. We're sitting in there (on fourth-and-21) and we had them," Capers said. "We had gotten the sack. They had the penalty. We hit them third-and-long. They checked the ball down for 6 yards, which is exactly what you want. I was hoping they'd check it down for something less than 21 yards, but when you end up voiding an area (by falling down, as McMillian did), it was an unfortunate play because you'd like for the game to be over right there."

McMillian took responsibility for that mistake after the game, but he said on the ensuing play that the defensive call never got to him. Capers said Monday that in situations where the offense is in hurry-up as the Ravens were after the long pass, defensive line coach Mike Trgovac is giving defensive hand signals from the sideline and all 11 players are expected to look over and get the call, rather than relying on one of their teammates to echo the call. McMillian failed to do it and was the closest man to Clark on the TD.

"You don't ever want confusion in those situations but in the heat of the battle it happens sometimes," Capers said. "They have to find Trgo on the sideline to get the signal. You try to echo it but you can never count on the communication in that situation. Each guy has to be responsible for seeing that signal."

Capers said that while the nickel and dime inside positions aren't exactly the same — the nickel generally covers the third receiver in the slot, while the dime tends to match up with a tight end or running back out of the backfield — there are some similarities which would allow, say, Hyde and Hayward to play as the third and fourth cornerbacks.

"There's some carryover there," Capers said. "I think there's some correlation there."

Jason Wilde  wrote:

steveishere
10 years ago
At this point McMillian shouldn't be on the field at all unless he's playing ST or something. MD Jennings has played pretty well after his disasterous start to the year but with how many plays HYDE is making I'm starting to think they shoulda just made the dude a S to begin with. Burnett/Hyde is starting to look like a good playmaking combo.
beast
10 years ago

First thing first, is Hayward 100% healthy? Is he going to have a set back as soon as he starts playing?

But IF and WHEN Hayward is 100% healthy, based off last year Hayward should be with Nickel as one of the top 3 CBs.

My understanding is that nickel is like a 3rd CB role, while dime is more like a coverage LB role being played by a DB.

I think Hyde and McMillian fit the LB role more... and Hayward should be put at the nickel.
UserPostedImage
Bigbyfan
10 years ago
I think we're gonna be seeing a lot more of House this week. Both of the Browns' starting receivers have pretty good size. After a strong showing last week, I think House will be able to help offset that size advantage.
blank
Gaycandybacon
10 years ago
I would take even Banjo over McMillian. He's so bad in coverage it's not even funny... Even on simple flat routes he gets beat. I think his strength is tackling. So if he's running straight down field he'll be at his best on special teams. I hope they figure this out, I don't know what they are thinking if some player is giving up so many plays. I understand if you wanna develop a player but come on, you need to know when to bench someone. Hell they did that with Perry. Maybe benching McMillian would be good for him.
nerdmann
10 years ago

I would take even Banjo over McMillian. He's so bad in coverage it's not even funny... Even on simple flat routes he gets beat. I think his strength is tackling. So if he's running straight down field he'll be at his best on special teams. I hope they figure this out, I don't know what they are thinking if some player is giving up so many plays. I understand if you wanna develop a player but come on, you need to know when to bench someone. Hell they did that with Perry. Maybe benching McMillian would be good for him.

Originally Posted by: Gaycandybacon 

Start Banjo, groom Hyde.

Bulk up McMillian and try him at OLB.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Gaycandybacon
10 years ago

Start Banjo, groom Hyde.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

😆
beast
10 years ago

Start Banjo, groom Hyde.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Do you mean bulk up McMillian and make him a coverage ILB?

UserPostedImage
Gaycandybacon
10 years ago

Do you mean bulk up McMillian and make him a coverage ILB?

Originally Posted by: beast 

that would make more sense
mi_keys
10 years ago

that would make more sense

Originally Posted by: Gaycandybacon 

Minus the coverage part.
Born and bred a cheesehead
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (40m) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (10h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (17h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (18h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (19h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (22h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

23h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.