texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

Its not that they won't do anything, they can't do anything because there is nothing to do. I don't know what you mean about it being right and proper because it is right and proper. The Browns signed a guy off the practice squad and put him on their 53 man roster. That is all they had to do according to the rules. People are trying to read way more into this than there is. Packers fans seem to want to think that the Browns did something wrong, or are doing something wrong. They did not and they are not.

If the Browns wanted to void the contract they might be able to claim that someone was hiding something but since the Packers did not benefit anything from it they (the Browns) would be hard pressed to prove any deception on the part of the Packers. They may be able to claim Johnson knew and hid it but again, how can they prove it. Unless there is a doctor visit somewhere on record that says he had the injury before the signing there is really nothing they can prove. Besides, it doesn't sound like they want to contest it (if that is what you want to call it) anyway.

Face it Packers fans, Johnson got away and there is nothing anyone can do about it.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

Basically, I agree with you. It ain't as if this was a trade where the Packers got something for him. The Browns clearly went from smart bargain hunter to victim, and Johnson benefited - by deception assuming he knew his condition, by luck if he didn't. He might, however, end up regretting it, because previously, the Packers would have paid for surgery if needed. Now, if the Browns think he cheated them and win their case, it's possible neither team would have to pay. The Packers could re-sign him if that happened, of course, but 4.3 speed probably would have become 4.5 or so, and we might not want him.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
djcubez
10 years ago
From what I understand any team can sign a player from another teams practice quad to their 53 man roster. When that happens, the team whose practice quad the player is on has a chance to match the offer and place that player on their 53 man roster or let them go. Also from what I understand, teams that sign players off another teams practice squad are not allowed to give that player a physical until the player has accepted the offer and is on the roster.

With that said, Charles Johnson is already officially a Cleveland Browns player. The physical was done after they signed him. Basically the signing is not contingent on a physical, but rather the player being signed cannot be given a physical until after he's on the team. This makes snatch-and-grabs like this one a little more risky.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24092462/browns-sign-player-with-torn-acl-to-replace-player-with-torn-acl 

Because Johnson was a practice squad player with another team, the Browns were unable to give him a physical until after they signed him. Since Cleveland signed Johnson from the Packers practice squad, the Browns are now stuck with him for at least two more weeks. Per NFL rules, a player that's signed off another team's practice squad has to be a part of the new team's 53-man roster for at least three games.

Zero2Cool
10 years ago
There are cases where the practice squad player does not tell his current team that a team is looking to sign him to their roster. If the player does't tell the current team prior to signing with the new team, then the 'current' team wasn't given a chance to bring them on board. This is what happened with Charles Johnson. Charles didn't tell the Packers, which per a report, left the Packers less than happy.

Edit, McCarthy on C.Johnson: "Fine young man. Wish he was here. I'm very curious to see how this pans out. I don't know if all the facts are in."
UserPostedImage
Yerko
10 years ago

I have to think that in the NFL today, that any teams medical crew would be more on top of things than just taking a players word.
Perhaps that's why the Packers are so beset with serious injuries.

Originally Posted by: yooperfan 

Bulaga was almost going to come back from a similar injury. They were contemplating on him playing. My guess is a torn ACL isn't something a medical crew is going to catch unless the player says something. This could easily be the case for this.

I only think that way because coming back may have been an option for Bulaga.
UserPostedImage
sschind
10 years ago

From what I understand any team can sign a player from another teams practice quad to their 53 man roster. When that happens, the team whose practice quad the player is on has a chance to match the offer and place that player on their 53 man roster or let them go. Also from what I understand, teams that sign players off another teams practice squad are not allowed to give that player a physical until the player has accepted the offer and is on the roster.

Originally Posted by: djcubez 

The only correction I would make to your description is that the decision is still totally up to the player. If he doesn't want to go to the new team and he wants to stay on the old team on the PS he can. It's not like waivers where the new team acquires his rights. Gurley reportedly turned down an offer to joint he vikings 53 man roster to remain on the Packers PS a few years back. Of course the Packers matched his would be salary from the vikings but that is not a requirement. It was also reported somewhere that the Packers routinely pay their PS players more than the minimum PS salary to encourage them staying.

The question then becomes why would a player refuse a spot on an active roster to stay on the practice squad? Well, in the case of Gurley it was go to a train wreck of a team and be low man on the totem pole locked into a bad situation or stay with a great team with a great passing attack and compete for a likely spot next season. He may still be low man but the low man in the Packers offense is probably much better off than the low man in the vikings offense.

Zero2Cool
10 years ago

The Football Educator wants to completely clarify a situation that developed this past week when the Cleveland Browns decided to “raid” the Green Bay Packers Practice Squad and sign wide receiver Charles Johnson to their own 53-man active roster.

As per NFL Policy
A player signed to a Practice Player Contract remains a free agent in the National Football League; though he is not eligible to be given a tryout, he may terminate his Practice Player Contract at any time to sign an NFL Player Contract with any club. If a Practice Squad player terminates his contract at any time, the club is under no obligation to pay him for that week. However, a player under a Practice Player Contract with one club cannot sign a Practice Player Contract with another club unless the Practice Player Contract with the first club is terminated by the club.

TGC NFL LogoIf a player on the Practice Squad of one club signs an NFL Player Contract with another club (Club 😎, the following rules apply:

The player shall receive three weeks salary of his NFL Player Contract at the 53-player Active/Inactive List minimum even if he is terminated by Club B prior to earning that amount; and

Club B is required to count the player on its 53-player Active/Inactive List for three games (a bye week counts as a game) even if he is terminated, traded, or assigned via waivers to another club or is signed as a free agent to another club’s 53-player roster or another club’s Practice Squad prior to that time. If the player is terminated from Club B’s 53-player roster and signed to Club B’s Practice Squad, he shall continue to count on the club’s 53- player Active/Inactive List but shall not count against the eight-player Practice Squad limit until the three-game requirement has been fulfilled.

If the promotion occurs with fewer than three games remaining in the club’s regular season, the three-game requirement shall not carry over into the next season.

As noted by ProFootballTalk.com
NFL: Green Bay Packers-Rookie MinicampWhen the Browns put quarterback Brian Hoyer on injured reserve with a torn ACL, they replaced him on the roster by signing wide receiver Charles Johnson off the Packers practice squad.

But because it’s the Browns, it couldn’t be that simple.

According to Scott Petrak of the Elyria Chronicle-Telegram, the Browns discovered Johnson had a torn ACL when they gave him a physical, so they’re now placing him on the non-football injury list. He was signed last Saturday, but was inactive for Sunday’s game with the Lions. (Note – Evidently AFTER the Browns & Johnson executed the contract)

Because Johnson was a practice squad player with another team, the Browns were unable to give him a physical until after they signed him. ***WRONG*** Since Cleveland signed Johnson from the Packers practice squad, the Browns are now stuck with him for at least two more weeks. Per NFL rules, a player that’s signed off another team’s practice squad has to be a part of the new team’s 53-man roster for at least three games.

Reality sets in
TGC NFL TryoutsThere’s NOTHING in the handbook stating a club is prohibited from giving a player a physical prior to signing him to their roster. They’re only forbidden to put the player through a “tryout”. In fact it states any player on a club’s Practice Squad remains a free agent, and 99.9% of free agent signings are accompanied with a contingency of “passing the club’s physical”.
The more likely scenario was Cleveland was in a hurry to fill the roster opening, get him immediately out on the practice field, and pushed the signing through the process (perhaps to keep Green Bay from blocking it) without completing their most primary obligation; ensuring the acquired player is healthy.

Two things immediately jump out
First – The media (ProFootballTalk.com and CBSSports.com at the very least) has erroneously reported this story to Cleveland and NFL fans from the get go, and it spread to other reporting sources without them doing their homework as well. You know who you are if you printed it as such.

TGC Joe BannerSecond – The Browns made a ROOKIE mistake by a front office that should know better, and to try and spin that they might have wanted the player anyway, or that the Packers hid the injury is just that… pure spin. The Browns weren’t obligated to be stuck with an injured player. Had they followed normal protocol and given him a physical BEFORE signing (as they fully had the right to do), he would have reverted back to the Packers and been their problem to deal with.

The real question is whether or not Cleveland steps up and reimburses Charles Johnson ANYTHING as a result of placing him on Reserve/Non-Football Injury? They have the latitude to pay all, nothing, or any where in between, of his minimum Paragraph 5 (it’s up to them).

Johnson was making the NFL standard Practice Squad salary of $6000 per week, injured or not. The “right way of doing business” would be to ensure he’s making at the very least just that as a Cleveland Brown.

Somebody should give Craig Domann (Johnson’s agent) a call.

http://www.thefootballeducator.com/clarifying-erroneous-reports-cleveland-browns-charles-johnson/#ixzz2i80kdZAG 

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
10 years ago
What a mess.

I hope the kid's ok. Still has potential to be a player.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
8 years ago

This wasn't a trade.
Too bad for Cleveland.
My question is: why did the Packers medical crew not know this and allow him to practice with the taxi squad, or did they?

Originally Posted by: yooperfan 

The Browns detected the ACL injury during their physical, but not the Packers. That makes me think Charles Johnson didn't mention any pain or discomfort in his knee to the Packers, but did so with the Browns. Or maybe the Browns said we watched your college tape and you look completely different in the tape we watched while with the Packers, what gives? And then it came out that "well my knee is buggin me" or something like that. I see this more likely than the Packers medical staff just being incompetent.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
8 years ago

The Browns detected the ACL injury during their physical, but not the Packers. That makes me think Charles Johnson didn't mention any pain or discomfort in his knee to the Packers, but did so with the Browns. Or maybe the Browns said we watched your college tape and you look completely different in the tape we watched while with the Packers, what gives? And then it came out that "well my knee is buggin me" or something like that. I see this more likely than the Packers medical staff just being incompetent.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

When it comes to neck injuries they ARE incompetent.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
DoddPower
8 years ago

When it comes to neck injuries they ARE incompetent.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Such a bummer the Packers let this guy get away. He is so much better than White and it's not even close. Probably better than Janis too.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
dfosterf (28-Mar) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : Yes
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : No.
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (28-Mar) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
14m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

10-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.