wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
10 years ago

If Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy had been so moved, they could have released fullback John Kuhn, safety Jerron McMillian or both from the Green Bay Packers' roster last week and just about everyone probably would have understood.

Kuhn's lack of poise and judgment leading to a fumble after a blocked punt in Baltimore was one of the team's most egregious errors on special teams in years.

What might seem to be a chaotic moment to the casual observer shouldn't be for a professional football player and special-teams veteran who has been schooled on what do in those situations over and over again, both in meetings and at practice.

McMillian committed not one but two blunders in the fourth quarter that almost lost the game.

JSOnline  wrote:

With all the injuries to the team it would never have happened.
UserPostedImage
beast
10 years ago
CUT SOMEBODY! And bring in WR Tavarres King!!!!

Is King worth cutting someone over? I don't know... but I just like the idea of the Broncos failing to keep him after they put him on the 53 man roster for all of 4 days to pervent the Packers from grabbing him off their practice squad.

McCarthy said not once in 7½ years has the general manager ever had to stop him from knee-jerking a player out of town.

article above wrote:

Ted Thompson might not "HAD" to stop Mike McCarthy from a knee jerk reaction but he SHOULD OF for Mike McCarthy and all the other coaches as well!

Cutting Punter Jon Ryan for Derrick Frost just because the ST coach got his panties in a bunch was stupid. Ryan asked the ST coach if the Packers would pay for him to visit some kicking guro. ST coach was offended that Ryan thought someone was a better coach than him and suddenly jumped on the first FA he had worked some with in the past (he worked out Frost, I think before Frost rookie year).

After being cut Jon Ryan went to see the kicking guro and other than his down year in 2010, has been getting better and better ever since.

Though the Packers were lucky and were able to find another redhead with a leg in Tim Mashay
UserPostedImage
gbguy20
10 years ago

CUT SOMEBODY! And bring in WR Tavarres King!!!!

Is King worth cutting someone over? I don't know... but I just like the idea of the Broncos failing to keep him after they put him on the 53 man roster for all of 4 days to pervent the Packers from grabbing him off their practice squad.

Ted Thompson might not "HAD" to stop Mike McCarthy from a knee jerk reaction but he SHOULD OF for Mike McCarthy and all the other coaches as well!

Cutting Punter Jon Ryan for Derrick Frost just because the ST coach got his panties in a bunch was stupid. Ryan asked the ST coach if the Packers would pay for him to visit some kicking guro. ST coach was offended that Ryan thought someone was a better coach than him and suddenly jumped on the first FA he had worked some with in the past (he worked out Frost, I think before Frost rookie year).

After being cut Jon Ryan went to see the kicking guro and other than his down year in 2010, has been getting better and better ever since.

Though the Packers were lucky and were able to find another redhead with a leg in Tim Mashay

Originally Posted by: beast 

source?
Mucky Tundra
10 years ago
Why would they cut Kuhn? They didn't do it before the season in training camp when they plenty of players on the bubble that could have helped and they're not going to do it now with all the injuries nor because of a special teams gaffe.
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
beast
10 years ago

source?

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

This wasn't the official version nor a juice enough story for the big news media to go away from the official story (it's about a ST coach and punters) and therefor it was just small Packrs media sites that might have covered it and they don't always keep their article up over long period of time.

The source of the story was said to be Packers front office insider who disagreed with letting Punter Jon Ryan go and didn't like why he was let go. It came out about the same time Packers ST coach was fired (err I mean retired... if you only believe the official versions).

The story said Jon Ryan asked asked for the Packers to pay for him to take a visit to some Coach Zauner guy, who's suppose to be a great kicking/punting coach or something. The Packers asked Coach Stock on weather they should fund it or not and Coach Stock was outside when he found out and said no to it. And after that Stock's opinion/attitude on Ryan inconsistency punting got worse after finding out about Ryan request to see the other coach.

Frost was released by the Redskins, and Coach Stock knew Frost and liked him and wanted to move on from Jon Ryan, many in the front office strongly disliked the idea but the Packers leaders trusted Coach Stock judgement and made the move. Frost sucked there after...

From a statistical standpoint, Ryan was far better than Frost last year: He ranked ninth in gross average (44.4) and 11th in net (37.6) to Frost’s 28th (41.0) in gross and 22nd in net (36.4). But special teams coach Mike Stock has had an affinity for Frost ever since he was a rookie free agent trying to hook on with an NFL team and the front office concurred he was a safer pick for the job.

When Stock was special teams coach in Washington, he tried to get Frost to sign as an undrafted rookie, but Frost wound up signing with Philadelphia. Later, Frost attended a tryout camp for NFL Europa where he worked with Stock.

“If it makes any sense, Mike Stock is the special teams coach I know the most and haven’t played for,” Frost said.

jsonline.com  wrote:

After being released Jon Ryan was said to paid for himself to work with Coach Zauner and he has been punting better ever since.

And I think they have even more videos of Ryan/Zauner together up on youtube

UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
10 years ago
Hey JSonline, you're not freekin' ESPN(thankfully),.

Quit tryin' to write stories just to create news!!!

Shoulda, coulda, woulda is real easy the week after a game.

Kuhn ssid he realized immediatly he screwed up, he owned up to it, name me ONE player, rookie or vet who hasn't made a mistake.

As far as McMillian messing up, that's all a part of "growing up" in the NFL.

So tired of people expecting these guys to play like 5 year vets the minute they put on The Packer uniform..

Now today The Packers go into the game with FOURTEEN ROOKIES and several 1 and 2 year guys.

It's going to be vets like Kuhn, Rodgers, Hawk, Sitton, Jolly, Williams, Burnette and more that need to step up and keep this team together.

Just waiting for reactions when one of these young guys screws up, because it will happen!!!!

Much rather read a postive spin story instead of doom and gloom "What could've happened"
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Tezzy
10 years ago

Kuhn ssid he realized immediatly he screwed up, he owned up to it, name me ONE player, rookie or vet who hasn't made a mistake.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

I still don't understand McGinn and this article at all. Kuhn makes one mistake, and I have a hard time remembering any other mistakes like that he has ever made, and he is lucky to not be cut? Wait, I do understand him. This year he said Kuhn was "allowed" to come back for the last year of his contract, nothing earned there. At any rate, no matter if you think a guy should be on the roster, a message of one mistake and you are lucky you didn't get shit canned is as silly as it gets.

On top of every beard grows a man.
"The Bears are shell-shocked... and it's breaking my heart."
beast
10 years ago

Hey JSonline, you're not freekin' ESPN(thankfully),.

Quit tryin' to write stories just to create news!!!

Shoulda, coulda, woulda is real easy the week after a game.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

I agree with you, trying to create news doesn't seem like a good thing.

Though I did find reading though history of the mid-season releases and the team's media reaction to them very interesting.

Wait, I do understand him. This year he said Kuhn was "allowed" to come back for the last year of his contract, nothing earned there. At any rate, no matter if you think a guy should be on the roster, a message of one mistake and you are lucky you didn't get sh!t canned is as silly as it gets.

Originally Posted by: Tezzy 

I very much agree, all the guys that made the roster earned it, either by playing better than others and/or showing/having more potential in the mind of the coaches.

Though I do wonder if they'll be trying hard to bring Kuhn back, between Lacy/Franklin at Rb and Quarless blocking at FB... though I think they probably will because Kuhn can back-up both. Also because Quarless is also a FA... so got to check out the price of both for a possible FB/ST guy(s).

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
10 years ago

I agree with you, trying to create news doesn't seem like a good thing.

Though I did find reading though history of the mid-season releases and the team's media reaction to them very interesting.

I very much agree, all the guys that made the roster earned it, either by playing better than others and/or showing/having more potential in the mind of the coaches.

Though I do wonder if they'll be trying hard to bring Kuhn back, between Lacy/Franklin at Rb and Quarless blocking at FB... though I think they probably will because Kuhn can back-up both. Also because Quarless is also a FA... so got to check out the price of both for a possible FB/ST guy(s).

Originally Posted by: beast 

Kuhn earned it by playing better than someone?
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
buckeyepackfan
10 years ago

Kuhn earned it by playing better than someone?

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Thers your biggest problem.

You have never and probably will never understand that players EARN their chance to be on an NFL team at OTA's, mini-camps, and most importantly in practice Monday Thru Fridays.

They play on Sunday, they work the rest of the time earning their money.

You judge guys(especially ones you don't want on the roster) by a play or 2 here and there.

As you have so often reminded us, Jarret Bush made a huge mistake in 2007 against Tge Giants.

That is all you ever remember him by, kind of glad he was on the field against The Steelers in Feb. 2010.

John Kuhn made a mistake, didn't cost The Packers a win, yet I look forward to you reminding us all of that mistake until he as every player EVER has done, leaves The Packers.

Figure it out!!!!!!!!
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Fan Shout
dfosterf (9h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (9h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (10h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (12h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (13h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (16h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (17h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Around The NFL / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.