DakotaT
10 years ago
His leaving was about arrogance. He was about to be supplanted as the number 1 by either Jordy or Cobb and his ego couldn't have handled that. All this other stuff is bull shit. He cashed in at the expense of a stupid GM who didn't have the quarterback in place to use Greg's YAC talents. Enjoy the money Jennings, you'll never sniff another Super Bowl or playoff run for that matter.
UserPostedImage
Mucky Tundra
10 years ago
UserPostedImage
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
yooperfan
10 years ago
My dog, Troy, is refusing to wear his Jennings jersey this year.
Actually he wasn't happy wearing it last year.😆
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

I hadn't seen that, Thanks for finding it. And no I don't think you are just being a butt about it. It does sound like he is saying at least part of the reason he left was to benefit the young guys.

I would say though that maybe it is the truth or at least the way he saw it and maybe if it is true we should look up to him a bit more for his obvious sacrifice. However, I don't think the only reason he left was to benefit Randall Cobb. It may have been part of the reason or it may just be his justification for leaving but I don't believe he would be that altruistic. I don't believe anyone would in the NFL or in any other professional sport.

Even if he had the best concerns of the others at heart it doesn't sound good to say it. Its like one of those instances where you do something nice for someone but you make sure everyone else knows you did it.

The only other thing I would caution anyone about is reading too much into these comments. They are off the cuff as they do not know which questions are coming. I'm sure everyone has been in a situation where someone asks your opinion and you give it only to think later that maybe you should have said it in some other way. Still, even poorly worded comments generally don't come out of the blue. Unless people have some prior knowledge of what the questions will be most of their answers will have a degree of truth in them. I do think that Jennings believes his departure from Green Bay will help Cobb and the others in some way. Of course that is no surprise as I think every other person with any knowledge of football was thinking pretty much the same thing.

As for that being THE reason he left, I don't think so and to suggest it is opens him up to criticisms like you (wpr) have and I can't say I disagree with you.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

And I agree with your comments here. I will slightly disagree with the comment that he worded his response poorly because he didn't know the questions. He has been asked these same questions ever since he fled the brain washing capital of WI. The questions have been phrased differently but he has been asked the same stuff Ad nauseam. He is not is public speaker so it isn't easy to say exactly what you mean every single time. You see it in the transcript with his rambling and repeating himself. I think the comment about his leaving will benefit Cobb and those who follow is his way of doing a PR spin on the whole situation. He just does it wrong and he does it poorly. As you say don't do a good work for someone and then pat yourself on the back, publicly.

UserPostedImage
pokethebear
10 years ago
My allegiance is to whomever is wearing the Green and Gold. I have no animosity toward Jennings. Like all former players I appreciate the effort and passion that he exerted while playing for the Packers.

However, I believe that those closer to him (his former teammates) will have their say on the field tonight. And I hope they say it with a lot of exclamation marks.

Go Packers!
DarkaneRules
10 years ago
I cannot wait to see the jarring. I hope to see James Jones on the sideline next to Jennings on a route. Not sure if that will get caught on camera but we shall see.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
The_Green_Ninja
10 years ago
Compromise time. This could easily just be both an individual and team-based decision at the same time.

Jennings believes he has the capability to be a super star. That's fine - maybe he is maybe he isn't. In Green Bay though, he will never have a chance to truly know if he is or isn't. There is just so much depth of good talent. Now take note that he made this decision as a FREE AGENT. He isn't belonging to one team, but of course he has a strong tie to Green Bay. So in weighing his options, he saw that his team had enough depth to flourish without him. Therefor, his ties were not as needed. When he looked at the Vikings, if he was a TEAM player, he saw a team that needed him. As well, he also saw a chance to boost up his importance to just see if he was that guy. Jennings isn't going to be playing forever. Take strong note of that.

In a way, he still is a team player. He's a team player for BOTH the Packers and the Vikings. Others get their chance on the Packers while the Vikings get a player they need.

The issue occurs only when you see who is the quarterback for the Vikings. Had Jennings got a deal from a team with a good QB and a need of a WR, this wouldn't be an issue. We would be finding out if he was the star that he was hoping he was. Yet, he won't know this season due to the Vikings' QB(s). Now do I think Jennings wishes he was back?

[list]
  • Would he still be one of many with the Packers? Yes. So there goes his great chance of ever finding out if he could become a star. [/list]
  • [list]
  • Is he happy with his QB now? I'd say no. He saw a chance in Ponder but now that is going down the drain.[/list]

• The only way I could see Jennings happy with this is if he went to a team who actually has a QB. He though the Vikings did but obviously they don't. But what was he supposed to do, go about his career never knowing? Maybe that's what some people would want; more power to them. Jennings didn't wan't to think about his potential, he wanted to know. The issue comes when we look at the Vikings' QB.

[list]
  • Team side: He knew the Packers would be fine, and they mostly are. The Vikings needed him. [/list]
  • [list]
  • Individual side: He wanted to see how good he was, so he moved on. The Packers would never give him a chance to be as important as possible, so he had to leave for that. He left to the Vikings in hopes of showing his importance, but can not due to his QB.[/list]

• Being a team player is respected by Jennings. Individually, he had to leave the Packers due to no chance. The Vikings, though, give him ATLEAST chance. So which seems more logical? I bet, though, he wishes a different team wanted him. Or did they?
    UserPostedImage
    steveishere
    10 years ago
    I don't get how Jennings couldn't be a "star" with GB. The guy was getting credit for being a top 10-15 WR, playing in playoff games annually and doing tons of interviews/commercials/tv shows. That's not the biggest reason he left the biggest reason he left is because the Vikings gave him the most $$ which is fine. I just don't buy the whole leaving so other guys would get a shot, that's just a bunch of bull trying to make himself look better in the media. He wanted more $$, more credit (was obviously tired of how much credit Rodgers gets), and a bigger share of the pie. All that is fine with me I just wish he wasn't so obviously fake about it.
    sschind
    10 years ago

It could be that line. Maybe it is another one. I was sure I saw something where he specifically referred to leaving for the betterment of the younger players. All I can find is this line from the transcript thread  and it doesn't specifically say it either.

Still sounds like he is saying he left for their sake to me. Then again maybe I am being a butt about the whole thing.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I've read these comments again and like I said in another post it does sound like he is saying he left to benefit the young guys but here is something else that caught my eye

Jennings says Like I said, I shared this with them. and Like I said with them,

It sounds to me like he is saying he talked with the younger guys and said something to the effect of "If I go you guys will have more chances" If so, these are fairly easy comments to verify if the other guys (Cobb, Nelson, Jones et al) choose to comment on it. It would be very risky for Jennings to claim he discussed it with them if he hadn't. Now athletes are not always smart about making false claims so that in itself does not mean he didn't make it up but I would have to think he wouldn't say he discussed it with them if he hadn't. Maybe he said jokingly "if I leave you guys will have a better chance to shine." Maybe he was serious and the others took it as a joke. Maybe what he said in his mind will not be what the other guys will remember or it may not be the way they took it. Either way, I think that to some degree Jennings looks upon his leaving as a chance to benefit the rest of the Packers receiving corps. I still don't believe it was the major factor in his deciding to leave.

I know its a lot of maybes but it is something else to think about. Just in case someone is looking for reasons not to hate the guy this may help.

Zero2Cool
    10 years ago
    Jennings says the Packers are brainwashed, in other words, he knows he can say he told the guy something and that they won't speak out because the Packers are classy. Errr brainwashed.
    UserPostedImage
    Fan Shout
    dfosterf (3h) : Maybe
    Mucky Tundra (3h) : Yes
    Zero2Cool (4h) : No.
    Mucky Tundra (6h) : End of a Degu-era
    dhazer (7h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
    Zero2Cool (10h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
    Zero2Cool (11h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
    dfosterf (21h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
    Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
    Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
    beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
    Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
    Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
    Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
    Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
    Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
    Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
    buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
    Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
    buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
    Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
    dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
    dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
    Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
    Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
    dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
    Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
    dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
    dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
    dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
    Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
    Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
    Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
    Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
    Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
    Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
    dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
    dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
    dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
    beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
    dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
    dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
    Please sign in to use Fan Shout
    2023 Packers Schedule
    Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
    Bears
    Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
    Falcons
    Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
    SAINTS
    Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
    LIONS
    Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
    Raiders
    Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
    Broncos
    Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
    VIKINGS
    Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
    RAMS
    Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
    Steelers
    Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
    CHARGERS
    Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
    Lions
    Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
    CHIEFS
    Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
    Giants
    Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
    BUCCANEERS
    Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
    Panthers
    Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
    Vikings
    Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
    BEARS
    Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
    Cowboys
    Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
    49ers
    Recent Topics
    3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
    Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.