wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
10 years ago

Earlier today Tyler Dunne of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel wrote a compelling piece on how, despite the ire of Packers fans, Ted Thompson has stuck with his rigid draft-and-develop approach in replenishing the roster. Thompson rarely signs big-name free agents. He doesn't trade for veteran players when injuries diminish the depth chart. He holds on

LombardiAve  wrote:

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
10 years ago
Uncle Teddy can sure be frustrating with his moves. By and large he gets them right. Just every once in a while I would like to see a veteran brought on board. Just to shake us up.
UserPostedImage
yooperfan
10 years ago
I have never been a fan of Ted Thompson and I never will be, but I have to hand it to him for keeping the Green Bay Packers in the upper echelon of the NFL year after year.
nerdmann
10 years ago

Uncle Teddy can sure be frustrating with his moves. By and large he gets them right. Just every once in a while I would like to see a veteran brought on board. Just to shake us up.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Ryan Pickett, Charles Woodson, Marquand Manual, Koren Robinson, Anthony Smith. Just off the top of my head.

Ted will bring in guys. Thing is, he doesn't always have to. Suddenly guys like Sam Shields, Dez Moses, Barclay and Boykin step up and show they can play. Even Eric Walden was serviceable to some degree.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
play2win
10 years ago
The guy is prudent as hell. Wow. What a tough make-up he has to consistently stick with his guys, and watch them develop under the guidance of his HC.

I would say one of the biggest case in points here may be Mike Daniels. Undersized player coming out of Iowa last year. Definitely had a motor last season, but maybe lacked some of the size and strength to make a big, consistent impact on the DL. What a difference a year makes.

This offseason, I wanted us to sign a bona fide 3-4 DT/DE and a legit power running back in FA. The chips fell our way in perfect fashion this draft in handing us Eddie Lacy. Mike Daniels is looking to be that other player. Datone Jones, while good, looks to be suffering some of the same things Daniels did last season as a rookie. I suspect both Daniels and Jones will be a major force next season, as they further develop. Daniels already is far surpassing any expectations I had of him. He is turning out to be a remarkable player on our DL.

Most recently, I was dreaming that maybe, maybe we could work a trade to land Larry Fitzgerald. Imagine what that might have done for our offense… However, Ted stuck to his guns, and maybe his magic 8 ball foretells of Jones and Cobb returning healthy enough to make a real impact through the end of the season and into the playoffs. Fitzgerald would have been a monster contract to fit into our system. Boykin is getting enormously valuable experience right now, and could prove to be a player who opposing defenses will overlook after the return of Jones and Cobb. Boykin could prove to be a real difference maker in the end, and all of this experience in true development is making him a great value to the Packers. A Fitzgerald signing could have tipped the scales the other direction.

Ted has some stones, and this is all looking to be pretty positive as we head into the meat of our schedule, leading the Black & Blue Division. I like it. Talk about a Steward of your team. Wow. My apologies for the run-on, but there is so much good to this topic. One last thing, take a look at the character of this team, the players as people and community members. Man! Has he given us a good group. Hopefully they can help us realize the dream of another Lombardi Trophy for the case this year! Thank you Ted!
steveishere
10 years ago
Fans always want their team to win the offseason and Ted loses every offseason. That is always going to cause some distress and there's really no way around it I guess. The fact is though it's extremely difficult to be a top team every year because there is so much that could go wrong. Look at the Giants/Steelers/Falcons this year or the Saints last year. We have been lucky so far that we get to see our team compete every single year and play meaningful football in December/January.
wpr
  • wpr
10 years ago

Ryan Pickett, Charles Woodson, Marquand Manual, Koren Robinson, Anthony Smith. Just off the top of my head.

Ted will bring in guys. Thing is, he doesn't always have to. Suddenly guys like Sam Shields, Dez Moses, Barclay and Boykin step up and show they can play. Even Eric Walden was serviceable to some degree.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Ryan Pickett & Charles Woodson 7 years ago great moves. Congratulations to Uncle Ted. This is what I am talking about.
But since then- nothing. Nothing of real significance in 7 years.

Marquand Manual also 7 years ago and was not good enough to stick for more than a year.
Koren Robinson, 7 years ago. (are you seeing a pattern here?) Didn't really contribute much.

Anthony Smith. your kidding right? Are you talking about the first time he was almost on the team but didn't make it through the month of September before being released or the 2nd time when the team was decimated in the secondary and ted brought him back but he still wasn't good enough to contribute and mercifully for all he was placed on IR?

Ted's mo is not to go after high profile FA not to look at the second level of FA but to look at the third level and if one of them sticks fine and if not he didn't waste a position on them or very much money. If you are always looking in the dollar store bargain bin you won't find many players of quality there.

And I am ok with that. They win games every year. They don't disrupt the cap that way. That is what people want and that is what they get.
UserPostedImage
steveishere
10 years ago
A lot of people don't like to count FA like James Jones and Brad Jones but if we had say let James Jones walk that year and Ted signed some other teams WR who came in and led the NFL in TDs for us we would all be like WOOOO WHAT A GREAT FA SIGNING SEE WHAT HAPPENS!!
wpr
  • wpr
10 years ago

A lot of people don't like to count FA like James Jones and Brad Jones but if we had say let James Jones walk that year and Ted signed some other teams WR who came in and led the NFL in TDs for us we would all be like WOOOO WHAT A GREAT FA SIGNING SEE WHAT HAPPENS!!

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

I have no problem with resigning current players. It is a good move on Ted's part to do so.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
10 years ago

Ryan Pickett & Charles Woodson 7 years ago great moves. Congratulations to Uncle Ted. This is what I am talking about.
But since then- nothing. Nothing of real significance in 7 years.

Marquand Manual also 7 years ago and was not good enough to stick for more than a year.
Koren Robinson, 7 years ago. (are you seeing a pattern here?) Didn't really contribute much.

Anthony Smith. your kidding right? Are you talking about the first time he was almost on the team but didn't make it through the month of September before being released or the 2nd time when the team was decimated in the secondary and ted brought him back but he still wasn't good enough to contribute and mercifully for all he was placed on IR?

Ted's mo is not to go after high profile FA not to look at the second level of FA but to look at the third level and if one of them sticks fine and if not he didn't waste a position on them or very much money. If you are always looking in the dollar store bargain bin you won't find many players of quality there.

And I am ok with that. They win games every year. They don't disrupt the cap that way. That is what people want and that is what they get.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Yes, most of these were 7 years ago. However, thanks to Ted, our team has much more depth now. We don't need to look elsewhere. Like the other poster said, Ted signs his own guys too. People don't count those as free agents.

And btw Howard Green was a pretty good signing in '10, no? What about DuJuan Harris in '12?
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (3h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (3h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.