Green Bay Packers Forum

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
User is suspended until 4/29/2043 11:56:55 PM(UTC) texaspackerbacker  
#11 Posted : Thursday, October 31, 2013 2:51:16 AM(UTC)

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2015

United States
Applause Given: 670
Applause Received: 489
PackFanWithTwins said: Go to Quoted Post
Sorry but that is bullsh!t. In the heat of battle, players CAN think that fast. They have to think to decide to go high, they can think to not go high just as easily. Players throughout the league have and do each and every week. Players like Mariweather who have refused to change are what cause the NFL to need to fine and suspend. Had players changed originally, the NFL wouldn't be fining.

Players can have a "Meanstreak" without being a dirty headhunter. AJ has been playing with a meanstreak and doing it clean. Sure accidents and incidental hits happen, but it is clear when a player is aiming for the head like Meriweather.

Gipson hit Finley cleanly. He wasn't fined by the NFL, and he did it without headhunting.

I didn't mean to imply anything negative about Gipson - just that players instinctively or consciously often duck their heads making the target area a lot smaller - if you make the nicey nice assumption that it's taboo to hit too low in addition to illegal to hit too high. The bullshit is the whole emphasis on regulating this kind of thing at all.

Sorry if it offends anybody's sensitivities or whatever, but I am NOT concerned about players being so "dirty" as to try and hurt other players. For the money those guys make, they ought to have risks - and if they don't like it, they can damn well quit and give up that ridiculous money they make. The only time it bothers me is if OUR players are the victims, and then the solution ain't to whine about it, it's to get revenge. Remember Fred "the Hammer" Williams in the first Super Bowl? Oops, I forgot, a large percentage in here weren't born yet then. Kramer and Thurston BROKE the Hammer's hammer. THAT is how you deal with "dirty" play.

As for the other post about Tatum and Lott, I think there is a lot of unsubstantiated selective memory in there. Do you really think about half of the defensive players in the Hall of Fame weren't out to hurt and maim every bit as much as Merriweather? I'm not really defending him simply because he is not a Packer, but if we did happen to have a "dirty" player on OUR team, hell yeah, I'd defend whatever he did - except for hurting the team by getting caught and called for penalties.

Offline steveishere  
#12 Posted : Thursday, October 31, 2013 4:27:39 AM(UTC)

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 57
Applause Received: 1,492
lol since there is "supposed to be risks" they should just make it legal to run around diving at the backs of peoples knees who aren't looking during or after any play. They may as well make it legal to twist ankles or groin shots with the knees. How about making it legal to eye gouge a ball carrier so he'll drop the ball. There's gotta be risks right?
Offline Porforis  
#13 Posted : Thursday, October 31, 2013 6:26:44 AM(UTC)

United States
Applause Given: 242
Applause Received: 491
texaspackerbacker said: Go to Quoted Post
Inappropriate comments - oh so terrible.

I can empathize a lot more with what used to be called a "hard-nosed" safety like Meriweather than I can for pathetic whiners like Marshall and Bennett.

All this protection crap is bad for the game, and it's a valid point that making a big deal about high hits is inevitably gonna increase low hits - again, oh so terrible.

Injuries to people making multiple millions playing a fun game are ...... simply not something to get all hyper about unless they affect the performance of our team. If any given player can't stand the risk, let him give up those multiple millions he gets paid to play a game any of us would give our eye teeth to be able to play for about 1/10 as much.

If you really appreciated old-school football, people launching themselves off the ground and drilling opposing players' heads with their own head in place of tackling would infuriate you. There's a difference between hard-nosed football and stupid football.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#14 Posted : Thursday, October 31, 2013 7:10:54 AM(UTC)

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2015Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Applause Given: 2,325
Applause Received: 3,595
UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#15 Posted : Thursday, October 31, 2013 7:42:59 AM(UTC)

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2014FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

Applause Given: 3,506
Applause Received: 1,765
Wade said: Go to Quoted Post
Clearly an early nominee for NFL Pinhead of the Year.

Tank McNamara Sorts Jerk of the Year nominations are just around the corner.
Suh won it a few years ago in part for his stomping episode.
Offline wpr  
#16 Posted : Thursday, October 31, 2013 7:53:15 AM(UTC)

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2014FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

steveishere said: Go to Quoted Post
lol since there is "supposed to be risks" they should just make it legal to run around diving at the backs of peoples knees who aren't looking during or after any play. They may as well make it legal to twist ankles or groin shots with the knees. How about making it legal to eye gouge a ball carrier so he'll drop the ball. There's gotta be risks right?

AHH! The good old days.

I remember reading a story about Papa Halas. In its infancy, a tackled ball carrier could push the ball forward and make that new place the Line of Scrimmage. Obviously it was frowned upon by the defense so only dirty players/cheaters would try and move the ball.

One day Halas and the Bears were playing Jim Thorpe and one of the early teams he played for. George didn't think anyone was watching him so while still laying on the ground he began inch the ball forward a little. 2 or three inches is not going to get you a first down or a touchdown but it may help get the first down on the next play. Especially on the muddy fields they had back then.

Thorpe saw him moving the ball and he jumped on his back. He said something to the effect of "If you are going to cheat I am going to ride you like a horse." Halas said Jim could have really hurt him and it would have been legal. Stomp on his hands, knee him in the back, many other things. He learned his lesson and didn't do that anymore.

Players today constantly try and place the ball not a few inches but a yard or more further down field after they have been tackled. Not a single player can come over to them and jump on them little alone step on their hand or knee them in the back for doing so.

Taming the game down is not always a bad thing.
Offline wpr  
#17 Posted : Thursday, October 31, 2013 8:29:29 AM(UTC)

nyrpack said: Go to Quoted Post
not defending the guy, but it isnt exactly the easiest thing to hit a guy these days legally. im not saying headshots are legal but its dam hard to hit a guy at full speed and not make contact sometimes high, i think defensive guys have a very tough job when comes to legal vs illegal !!

You are correct. there have been a few Packer players along with others that have been fined for an inadvertent hit on the ball carrier. It is more than a little frustrating.
Offline mi_keys  
#18 Posted : Thursday, October 31, 2013 8:53:15 AM(UTC)

Applause Given: 299
Applause Received: 509
wpr said: Go to Quoted Post
You are correct. there have been a few Packer players along with others that have been fined for an inadvertent hit on the ball carrier. It is more than a little frustrating.

It's particularly frustrating when the examples of blatant and repeated intentional headhunting is punished only marginally more than the incidental.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
wpr on 10/31/2013(UTC)
User is suspended until 4/29/2043 11:56:55 PM(UTC) texaspackerbacker  
#19 Posted : Thursday, October 31, 2013 10:05:55 AM(UTC)

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2015

United States
Applause Given: 670
Applause Received: 489
My point in bringing up the olden days was that there was NOT a lot of serious injuries even then - probably less than today with all the protection crap and much better equipment. Yeah, players are bigger/stronger/faster now, but it still seems that all these stupid safety rules, etc. intruding into the game are NOT really making it any safer - if that is the goal, and I still say, it obviously is an acceptable risk considering the HUGE money even marginal players are paid. If it wasn't acceptable, they would quit.

As for some of the examples cited, obviously late hits should be penalized - that's like a soldier going into town after the battle is over and shooting people. During the play, on the other hand, almost anything goes - eye gouging was the reason for face masks. A lot of other stuff could/should be dealt with by teammates getting revenge (or preventative) as in my example of the Packers breaking Fred Williams hammer in the first Super Bowl. A lot of other "dirty play" is self correcting also in that the player doing it would be diverting himself from a more effective play - a sure textbook tackle - to try and hurt somebody - maybe missing and allowing a long gain.

The point is, all this stupid shit - or maybe I should say most of it - legislated in the name of safety is unnecessary, often counter-productive to its own goals, and generally bad for the game.
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#20 Posted : Thursday, October 31, 2013 10:27:52 AM(UTC)

Applause Given: 22
Applause Received: 839
It is illegal to lead with helmet, shoulder or forearm to the head and neck area of a defenseless player.

Which leaves the obvious solution.

Dropkick. Waterboy style.

Next time the WR come across the middle, line him up and wham, two feet to the face.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
mi_keys on 10/31/2013(UTC)
Rss Feed