Discussion Board
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
2013-10-29T03:32:41Z

The term "shutdown corner" is sometimes thrown around too often, and perhaps should only be applied to those who truly put big fat goose eggs in the receivers' stat lines.

But that title is one Green Bay Packers Tramon Williams may be deserving for his performance in the last three of four consecutive victories.

"As a matter of fact, I didn't give up any (catches) the last three games," said Williams with pride on "Packers Live," which airs on TODAY'S TMJ4 and NBC26.

Laser Gunns
2013-10-29T04:57:21Z
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
2013-10-29T11:46:26Z
Originally Posted by: RajiRoar 

for realz?

its on the internet it must be real.
steveishere
2013-10-29T16:10:54Z
I think shutdown corner more refers to guys who can shut down good players. Tramon has been much better this year than the past 2 but he's also had a significant amount of his old responsibilities taken away from him. I've been way more impressed with Shields/House this year than Tramon but it has been nice that he's playing better this year.
DarkaneRules
2013-10-29T16:20:52Z
Prefer Shields in the slot against the burners, but on the edge Tramon has rounded back into form. He is a great corner.
texaspackerbacker
2013-10-29T17:36:27Z
Tramon has been worthy of the title "shutdown corner" for a long time. This year, Shields pretty much qualifies also. I don't think Shields should cover the slot receiver, though. Speed is more of a requirement on the outside. Hayward, if healthy, should cover the slot.
TheKanataThrilla
2013-10-29T17:57:36Z
We managed no pics against noodle arm so no shutdown corner title for you!!!
Rockmolder
2013-10-29T17:58:44Z
I like how he came in as an UDFA, gets into a role as second CB with a lot of freedom to jump passes and roam a bit, then has a bit of a down year when Woodson degresses and leaves and now comes back and shuts down legitimate nr. 1 guys.

It's selfless in a way that this kind of play is a whole lot less interesting for your stat sheet.
dhazer
2013-10-29T20:53:59Z
Originally Posted by: Rockmolder 

I like how he came in as an UDFA, gets into a role as second CB with a lot of freedom to jump passes and roam a bit, then has a bit of a down year when Woodson degresses and leaves and now comes back and shuts down legitimate nr. 1 guys.

It's selfless in a way that this kind of play is a whole lot less interesting for your stat sheet.

What number 1 ghys are you referring to? Shields shutdown AJ Green . And last week he whiffed on 2 easy tackles. So I ask again who did he shutdown?

Rockmolder
2013-10-29T21:15:25Z
Originally Posted by: dhazer 

What number 1 ghys are you referring to? Shields shutdown AJ Green . And last week he whiffed on 2 easy tackles. So I ask again who did he shutdown?

Same old Dhazer, I see. Love your hostility. 😆

I have to be completely honest, I haven't seen every game, so I thought he was on Torrey Smith and Josh Gordon, as well, but going back and rewatchting a couple of plays in those games... It's all Shields. He's the real unsung hero here. At least, from what I could see from just a couple of plays and my less-than-stellar memory.

If anything, Williams is playing Woodson's old role, playing in the slot, blitzing, playing robber. I way way off on that one.
dhazer
2013-10-29T22:06:55Z
Where have you been we missed you

texaspackerbacker
2013-10-30T01:43:55Z
Shields may very well have passed up Tramon, but it ain't because Tramon got worse. It's because Shields got better. Add Hayward to that, and House and Hyde too ........ as they say, you can never have too many good corners.
nerdmann
2013-10-30T03:42:10Z
Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

Shields may very well have passed up Tramon, but it ain't because Tramon got worse. It's because Shields got better. Add Hayward to that, and House and Hyde too ........ as they say, you can never have too many good corners.

Tramon had that nasty nerve damage in his arm during his peak physical years.

He's coming back from that now, but he's also older.
Mucky Tundra
2013-11-01T01:08:32Z
Tramon Williams 2013 Penalties 

Didn't know he had that many penalties so far this season. Even if one or two have been bogus, a player that has a reputation of penalties doesn't help in crunch time with shaky refs.
DakotaT
2013-11-01T01:14:06Z
How in the hell are we going to keep these 5 corners signed? And when does Jarrett Bush quit occupying a roster spot? Buckeye doesn't get to answer.
Mucky Tundra
2013-11-01T01:19:26Z
Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

How in the hell are we going to keep these 5 corners signed?

UserPostedImage
We don't!

Next May
With the 32nd pick in the 4th round of the 2014 draft, the Green Bay Packers select...
dhazer
2013-11-01T15:45:18Z

How in the hell are we going to keep these 5 corners signed? And when does Jarrett Bush quit occupying a roster spot? Buckeye doesn't get to answer.

We say good bye to Williams, I don't think he is worth the 9.5 million he would get paid next year.

steveishere
2013-11-01T15:59:31Z

Keep in mind that Jarrett Bush occupying a roster spot is keeping Davon House on the field on defense. House got pulled from the 2nd half of a game because he was getting gassed by being the ST Gunner.
Tezzy
2013-11-01T16:14:41Z
A non-statsheet stat that I think says a lot about how shutdown a corner is, has to do with how many snaps of coverage per reception given up. According to PFF, here are the top five in that category.

Verner - 21.1
Revis - 18.8
Talib - 17.7
Tramon - 17.1
Marcus Cooper - 16.9

Now when Tramon does give up a reception, it does not look pretty in terms of YAC compared to those other four. But there is a reason the five of them have been each targeted 33 or less times. Shutdown.... Corner.
dhazer
2013-11-01T17:15:15Z
Originally Posted by: Tezzy 

A non-statsheet stat that I think says a lot about how shutdown a corner is, has to do with how many snaps of coverage per reception given up. According to PFF, here are the top five in that category.

Verner - 21.1
Revis - 18.8
Talib - 17.7
Tramon - 17.1
Marcus Cooper - 16.9

Now when Tramon does give up a reception, it does not look pretty in terms of YAC compared to those other four. But there is a reason the five of them have been each targeted 33 or less times. Shutdown.... Corner.

The only flaw in that how many of these guys play against the #1 wr on the other team. Tramon gets the #2 or #3 wr
nerdmann
2013-11-01T19:10:37Z
Originally Posted by: dhazer 

The only flaw in that how many of these guys play against the #1 wr on the other team. Tramon gets the #2 or #3 wr

He has for the past couple weeks. lol