Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline nerdmann  
#26 Posted : Friday, November 1, 2013 12:12:31 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,715
Applause Received: 667

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla Go to Quoted Post
To me it comes down to whether you want to try and win your Superbowls by being consistenly a contending team in the playoffs, or do you risk it all by signing free agents and increasing your chance at the Superbowl, but then not consistently make it to the playoffs as you deal with the Cap problems that often come with going after the big available stars. I like our approach because having Rodgers to me means we have a legitimate shot at knocking out any team as he is to me the most talented player on the field every game. Is it frustrating not to get some of the FA guys? Yeah, but we got Lacy a hell of a lot cheaper than Jackson and we will have him hopefully for many years to come whereas Jackson may have been a short term plus but at a much higher price tag.

Once you get to the playoffs, anything can happen.

The more times you get there, the more likely you are to win it all. Ted has kept this team on the top of the heap for many years, and it looks like they're going to stay that way for the forseeable future, knock on wood.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Online wpr  
#27 Posted : Friday, November 1, 2013 12:16:37 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,152
Applause Received: 1,522

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Once you get to the playoffs, anything can happen.

The more times you get there, the more likely you are to win it all. Ted has kept this team on the top of the heap for many years, and it looks like they're going to stay that way for the forseeable future, knock on wood.

The vikies have disproved this theory. Bills not far behind.
UserPostedImage

"Will you follow me, one last time?" Thorin Oakenshield
Offline DoddPower  
#28 Posted : Friday, November 1, 2013 12:31:36 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 2,097
Applause Received: 530

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post

They didn't have Aaron Rodgers! heh heh. Plus, the Vikings just don't count, period, because well . . . they're the Vikings.
thanks Post received 2 applause.
wpr on 11/1/2013(UTC), Bigbyfan on 11/1/2013(UTC)
Offline DoddPower  
#29 Posted : Friday, November 1, 2013 12:33:12 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

United States

To me it comes down to whether you want to try and win your Superbowls by being consistenly a contending team in the playoffs, or do you risk it all by signing free agents and increasing your chance at the Superbowl, but then not consistently make it to the playoffs as you deal with the Cap problems that often come with going after the big available stars. I like our approach because having Rodgers to me means we have a legitimate shot at knocking out any team as he is to me the most talented player on the field every game. Is it frustrating not to get some of the FA guys? Yeah, but we got Lacy a hell of a lot cheaper than Jackson and we will have him hopefully for many years to come whereas Jackson may have been a short term plus but at a much higher price tag.

I wanted Steven Jackson, but he has basically been a complete bust so far in ATL. Eddie Lacy has been the MUCH better player. Jackson quickly got hurt, and has taken forever to heal. When he came back last week, he didn't look effective . . . at all. Yet another great move by Ted Thompson, even if Jackson comes on a little bit later in the season. I still can't imagine him being as good as Lacy, and certainly not better.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#30 Posted : Friday, November 1, 2013 12:36:39 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,969
Applause Received: 2,231

So you have a better chance of winning if you're not even in the dance? I think it's quite clear if you're there all the time it improves your chances. Bills were four times within 60 minutes of winning. Had they not made the playoffs, they don't get that close at all.

Mr. Obvious as spoken.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
DoddPower on 11/1/2013(UTC), TheKanataThrilla on 11/1/2013(UTC)
Offline DoddPower  
#31 Posted : Friday, November 1, 2013 12:40:02 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

United States

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
So you have a better chance of winning if you're not even in the dance? I think it's quite clear if you're there all the time it improves your chances. Bills were four times within 60 minutes of winning. Had they not made the playoffs, they don't get that close at all.

Mr. Obvious as spoken.

Exceptions also don't prove or dispute any "norms," either. One field goal could have made a huge difference for the Bills. Most teams would love to be able to say that.
Online wpr  
#32 Posted : Friday, November 1, 2013 12:42:01 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Mr. Obvious as spoken.

Rolling Eyes

I see you are no good with the high levels of math that are involved to solve this equation.

The quote was
Quote:
The more times you get there, the more likely you are to win it all.
4 times there with 4 failures is still zero. The same percent as if they had just stayed home. If you add all the other times the vickies were in the playoffs and failed it is still zero.
UserPostedImage

Online wpr  
#33 Posted : Friday, November 1, 2013 12:44:14 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Originally Posted by: DoddPower Go to Quoted Post
Exceptions also don't prove or dispute any "norms," either. One field goal could have made a huge difference for the Bills. Most teams would love to be able to say that.

SIGH. I am only picking on the vikings here. I am not saying Uncle Teddy is a failure or anything like that. Just smile and move along or simply say nothing at all.
UserPostedImage

Offline DoddPower  
#34 Posted : Friday, November 1, 2013 12:46:21 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

United States

Rolling Eyes

I see you are no good with the high levels of math that are involved to solve this equation.

The quote was 4 times there with 4 failures is still zero. The same percent as if they had just stayed home. If you add all the other times the vickies were in the playoffs and failed it is still zero.

To be fair, the quote said the more times a team gets there, the more LIKELY they are to win it. Doesn't mean they actually will, but the chances are greater than if they never made it there in the first place. All probability.
Offline sschind  
#35 Posted : Friday, November 1, 2013 12:47:30 PM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Applause Given: 123
Applause Received: 450

I have no problem with resigning current players. It is a good move on Ted's part to do so.

I think his point was that no one seems to want to count these guys as free agent signings when they are.

EDIT oops, disregard the post, I didn't see steveishere's reply in which he already pointed out his point. Cant delete posts I guess.
I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
Offline sschind  
#36 Posted : Friday, November 1, 2013 1:07:50 PM(UTC)
sschind

United States

I wanted Steven Jackson, but he has basically been a complete bust so far in ATL. Eddie Lacy has been the MUCH better player. Jackson quickly got hurt, and has taken forever to heal. When he came back last week, he didn't look effective . . . at all. Yet another great move by Ted Thompson, even if Jackson comes on a little bit later in the season. I still can't imagine him being as good as Lacy, and certainly not better.

But you can't automatically assume that had we signed SJ that he would have gotten hurt or been ineffective. Each team represents a different...Oh who am I kidding. If we would have landed Jackson he would have pulled a hammy just like everyone else.
I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
TheKanataThrilla on 11/1/2013(UTC), earthquake on 11/1/2013(UTC)
Offline sschind  
#37 Posted : Friday, November 1, 2013 1:14:36 PM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Mr. Obvious as spoken.

IMO the Bills do not even come close to the vikings in terms of SB suckage. The Bills were in the SB 4 years in a row. No team in football will ever do that again. No team in baseball will ever do that again. Basketball? Hockey? maybe but who the hell cares it's basketball and hockey.

The vikings had a chance and didn't get it done, then they couldn't get back for a while and when they finally did they STILL couldn't get it done.

Of course some people might think the Bills plight was worse but then again IMO no team will ever approach the vikings in terms of suckage so I may be a bit biased against them.

Offline TheKanataThrilla  
#38 Posted : Friday, November 1, 2013 4:36:20 PM(UTC)
TheKanataThrilla

Canada

Applause Given: 157
Applause Received: 120

I think all of us were disappointed we didn't get Jackson if I can recall the thread. I think this may have been a fortunate miss on our part, as I do believe we were in contention.
"Stumbling from one disaster to another" Lost Together (Blue Rodeo)
Offline nerdmann  
#39 Posted : Friday, November 1, 2013 5:38:36 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,715
Applause Received: 667

I think all of us were disappointed we didn't get Jackson if I can recall the thread. I think this may have been a fortunate miss on our part, as I do believe we were in contention.

I was more disappointed that we didn't get Lynch.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
thanks Post received 1 applause.
play2win on 11/2/2013(UTC)
Offline sschind  
#40 Posted : Friday, November 1, 2013 5:57:20 PM(UTC)
sschind

United States

It seems like a lot of reports were saying SJ was not seriously considering us but that he was just using us as a bargaining chip.

If we do land Jackson does that automatically mean that we pass on Lacy? If Ted Thompson truly had him as the best player on his list and if he did fall that far it is not totally inconceivable that he would have drafted Lacy anyway. Ted Thompson has been known to draft players that have fallen more than they probably should have even when the need for that position wasn't dire. At least one comes to mind and I think everyone is happy that he did.
Offline gbguy20  
#41 Posted : Friday, November 1, 2013 7:19:50 PM(UTC)
gbguy20

Applause Given: 208
Applause Received: 285

Rolling Eyes

The quote was 4 times there with 4 failures is still zero. The same percent as if they had just stayed home. If you add all the other times the vickies were in the playoffs and failed it is still zero.

ur logic sucks
call me Dan
Offline Zero2Cool  
#42 Posted : Friday, November 1, 2013 7:30:00 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,969
Applause Received: 2,231

Originally Posted by: sschind Go to Quoted Post
But you can't automatically assume that had we signed SJ that he would have gotten hurt or been ineffective.

Why not, because the Packers have been oh so injury free this season?
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
DoddPower on 11/2/2013(UTC)
Online wpr  
#43 Posted : Friday, November 1, 2013 8:57:14 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

To be fair, the quote said the more times a team gets there, the more LIKELY they are to win it. Doesn't mean they actually will, but the chances are greater than if they never made it there in the first place. All probability.

Yes. Thank you for pointing this out. Without your help I would have totally missed it.

Actually I know what the original post was all about. I was only trying to beat down on the vikings a little.

What I fail to understand is why no one seems to understand and continues to act like I can't grasp the concept although I have repeatedly acknowledged my comprehension of its meaning. But please someone explain it to my one more time just to be sure. Rolling Eyes
UserPostedImage

Online wpr  
#44 Posted : Friday, November 1, 2013 8:58:19 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

nope. I thought a trade for Jackson would be to expensive and his best days were behind him.
UserPostedImage

Offline TheKanataThrilla  
#45 Posted : Saturday, November 2, 2013 4:11:42 AM(UTC)
TheKanataThrilla

Canada

nope. I thought a trade for Jackson would be to expensive and his best days were behind him.

Jackson was a Free Agent.

Offline TheKanataThrilla  
#46 Posted : Saturday, November 2, 2013 4:15:04 AM(UTC)
TheKanataThrilla

Canada

Originally Posted by: sschind Go to Quoted Post
It seems like a lot of reports were saying SJ was not seriously considering us but that he was just using us as a bargaining chip.

If we do land Jackson does that automatically mean that we pass on Lacy? If Ted Thompson truly had him as the best player on his list and if he did fall that far it is not totally inconceivable that he would have drafted Lacy anyway. Ted Thompson has been known to draft players that have fallen more than they probably should have even when the need for that position wasn't dire. At least one comes to mind and I think everyone is happy that he did.

I agree we still may have went for Lacy, but we probably don't go for him and Franklin. Or maybe we just get Franklin. All that to say is I am very happy where we are at for the first time since the pro-bowl Ahman Green years in our running game.

Offline DakotaT  
#47 Posted : Saturday, November 2, 2013 4:54:41 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 670
Applause Received: 1,376

I agree we still may have went for Lacy, but we probably don't go for him and Franklin. Or maybe we just get Franklin. All that to say is I am very happy where we are at for the first time since the pro-bowl Ahman Green years in our running game.

We're not quite there yet, but it's a lot better.
UserPostedImage
Offline play2win  
#48 Posted : Saturday, November 2, 2013 5:26:54 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Lets take this a step further. Safety was as big a concern coming into this season as any other position on the team. Dashon Goldson was a Free Agent that I really, really wanted Ted to pursue. I thought it made perfect sense to bring a veteran S like him into the fold to play alongside Morgan Burnett, and that it would be well worth the price tag.

Enter, Chris Banjo.

Who? Just a remarkable find IMO by Ted Thompson. Banjo is one of those players in the secondary that plays much bigger than his size and stature. The guy has what look to be great football instincts, and he knows how to finish a play. McMillian has been a huge disappointment to me thus far. Great to see somebody jump in and perform at a high level at the position.

We also have a slim possibility that Sean Richardson gets his chance to show what he can do. I'm very hopeful for this player, as he was Hayward's teammate at Vanderbilt, and he has great size for the position. Figure too, that MD Jennings is looking to be playing a little bit better this year. I have a hard time saying that, but I do believe it is true. Player development.

The monies Ted may have had to spend on a player like Goldson would have made re-signing some of our other important players this next offseason impossible. Ted stuck to his guns, and found some Safety help in the UDFA bargain bin.

Another example is the addition of a veteran presence with proven skills to our DL. Johnny Jolly has far exceeded the expectations of many. It was a great risk to bring him back to this Packers team, but Ted has done such a great job of infusing quality people into his system, that this second chance for Jolly seems to carry a lesser risk. He is surrounded by supportive, positive reenforcement from a pretty damn good group of teammates. It is amazing what this player has done for our defense this season. Looking at it now, I'd much rather have Jolly on our team than Chris Canty… Jolly's presence has helped to transform our defense and the attitude they play with - that is perfectly clear. High risk. Great reward.

Letting Jennings and Woodson move on to other teams, along with maintaining his stoic, conservative approach to offseason FA, has given him a lot of cap room to work with, while retaining the services of some key, top of scale veteran players. I've marveled at Ozzie Newsome's winning ways in March… but my hat is off to our own GM, Ted Thompson.

We have not won anything yet, but I would venture to say this team is far and away better than those we put onto the field in 2011 and 2012. A lot of that has to do with Ted's philosophy of building from within, retaining his players that he invests heavily to scout and draft, and developing that talent. Its not "sexy," but the guy's got "sizzle!" He is getting results. The depth of talent on his team proves that, along with their winning ways.
Online wpr  
#49 Posted : Saturday, November 2, 2013 6:37:33 AM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Jackson was a Free Agent.

I am referring to when he was with the Rams and there was a rumor that they may trade him. That is when all the commotion began.

I was a little more interested when he was a FA but not much because by then the draft was near.
UserPostedImage

Offline TheKanataThrilla  
#50 Posted : Saturday, November 2, 2013 1:43:54 PM(UTC)
TheKanataThrilla

Canada

I am referring to when he was with the Rams and there was a rumor that they may trade him. That is when all the commotion began.

I was a little more interested when he was a FA but not much because by then the draft was near.

I remember more the Lynch trade buzz than Jackson.
Rss Feed