Green Bay Packers Forum

Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 11, 2013 10:26:41 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,990
Applause Received: 2,283

I changed the topic of this thread because it has not been confirmed and LombardiAve has removed the article.

The actual title they had was "Dom Capers out as Green Bay Packers defensive coordinator; Winston Moss in"

Quote below is the text of the article posted six minutes prior to this topic being created at PH.
LombardiAve wrote:

For the past 4.5 years, Dom Capers has been the Packers defensive mastermind — a position in which he excelled when he first came to Green Bay. However, his run in Green Bay came to an end today as the Packers fired the longtime NFL coach and replaced him as defensive coordinator with Winston Moss.

This is a separate article from the one posted last night saying Dom SHOULD be fired. This article stated he HAS been fired.

LombardiAve removed the article. Why?

Maybe they have inside info and weren't supposed to publish it until Packers make it public?
Maybe it's an attempt to get domain page hits?

I don't know, but it seems odd to say a man is fired, announce his replacement and then remove the article from the interweb.

How would you feel about Winston Moss taking over for Dom Capers?

Also, would that mean Kevin Greene takes over Inside Linebackers in addition to Outside Linebackers too?

Message modified by user Monday, November 11, 2013 2:24:28 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Offline IronMan  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 11, 2013 10:37:07 AM(UTC)
IronMan

ESPN NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2010

Applause Given: 95
Applause Received: 103

Yeah I'm not seeing it reported anywhere else. Would make for an interesting week though.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
DoddPower on 11/11/2013(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 11, 2013 10:38:30 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,236
Applause Received: 1,556

yeah I looked at the packers site along with ESPN and NFL. nada. We shall wait and see.
UserPostedImage
Offline IronMan  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 11, 2013 10:45:19 AM(UTC)
IronMan

ESPN NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2010

Applause Given: 95
Applause Received: 103

My biggest issue is with the scheme. Like you said earlier, and I agree..would like to see a more physical type of scheme. To hell with this lining up 10 yards from the line of scrimmage bullshit.

Get physical with the WR's on the line of scrimmage/disrupt their timing.

Would Moss have a different scheme? I have no idea.
thanks Post received 4 applause.
Zero2Cool on 11/11/2013(UTC), wpr on 11/11/2013(UTC), Mucky Tundra on 11/11/2013(UTC), hardrocker950 on 11/11/2013(UTC)
Offline Mucky Tundra  
#5 Posted : Monday, November 11, 2013 10:52:17 AM(UTC)
Mucky Tundra

United States

Applause Given: 392
Applause Received: 501

If they do make a switch I just want less of the 2 dlineman stuff. I can imagine there's a personnel problem in there but at this point what do you have to lose?
May not have the best looking number...but it's the sexiest! -David Bakhtiari
UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#6 Posted : Monday, November 11, 2013 10:59:14 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,236
Applause Received: 1,556

I would have no problem with Moss taking over for the rest of the season: The team needs a kick in the butt. This would be a start. He is familiar with the players and they with him. He would use some of the current scheme which the players know. He would add a few wrinkles of his won which the opposition would not be ready for. There is a big big book on Dom out there already.

Likewise I would like to see Greene step up and take over more responsibility. If they don't give it to him someone else will. I am a bit surprised he has not landed elsewhere after what he did in 2010.
UserPostedImage
Offline Mucky Tundra  
#7 Posted : Monday, November 11, 2013 11:05:52 AM(UTC)
Mucky Tundra

United States

Applause Given: 392
Applause Received: 501

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
Likewise I would like to see Greene step up and take over more responsibility. If they don't give it to him someone else will. I am a bit surprised he has not landed elsewhere after what he did in 2010.

Tbh I wouldn't be against Greene getting the DC job. What he would lack in schemes and play calling I think he would make up for in energy, the ability to connect with players and bring a environment of accountability. Like that missed tackle Brad Jones had on the screen pass on 3rd and 7 that broke GBs back. With Capers I get the feeling that Jones won't hear that much about it; if Greene were DC I feel that he would be up Jones ass all week.

May not have the best looking number...but it's the sexiest! -David Bakhtiari
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
play2win on 11/11/2013(UTC)
Offline luigis  
#8 Posted : Monday, November 11, 2013 11:08:48 AM(UTC)
luigis

Applause Given: 97
Applause Received: 98

This seems to be a false rumour. If Cpaers is fired I would like to see Greene as the DC, I don't think we can keep him as OLB coach much longer. He has really gotten the best from his players and he badly needs an upgrade.
Luis
Online Rockmolder  
#9 Posted : Monday, November 11, 2013 11:13:21 AM(UTC)
Rockmolder

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2010

Netherlands

Applause Given: 169
Applause Received: 272

Just like that? Mid-season? Because we got run on badly for two games in a row?

If we really had that big a problem with Capers' stinking it up, we would've fired him after the 2011 season. The only thing we're worse at now than then is in takeovers.

Next to that, when's the last time we just starting firing coaches mid-season? If we did that, Campen would be long gone by now.

I'm not saying anything about it being justified or not, but just that it's very, very unlikely.
UserPostedImage
Offline Yerko  
#10 Posted : Monday, November 11, 2013 11:37:00 AM(UTC)
Yerko

Applause Given: 164
Applause Received: 269

As much as Dom Capers scheme sucks and never changes, look at the players as well. There are far too many missed opportunities by these players to place all the blame on just Capers.

The two long passes that the Eagles scored on were downright embarrassing. DeSean Jackson walked in backwards from 5 yards and Cooper rolled into the endzone...I mean, seriously. C'mon.
UserPostedImage
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#11 Posted : Monday, November 11, 2013 11:38:59 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 495
Applause Received: 305

I noticed "LombardiAve" first stated Capers SHOULD be fired, then they stated this rumor - that he would be fired. I think the rumor is false and just an extension of the article advocating firing Capers.

If my memory is correct, Moss was on the staff before Capers came along. That, to me, says that he would go back to what we did before Capers. I can't see doing that. Greene, on the other hand, is Capers guy. So why fire the genius of the scheme and then keep the scheme?

I still say it's all about inadequate personnel - Ted Thompson's fault. None of this would have been that big a deal when we had Aaron Rodgers playing and masking the overall weakness of the team.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline luigis  
#12 Posted : Monday, November 11, 2013 11:43:51 AM(UTC)
luigis

Applause Given: 97
Applause Received: 98

Originally Posted by: Yerko Go to Quoted Post
As much as Dom Capers scheme sucks and never changes, look at the players as well. There are far too many missed opportunities by these players to place all the blame on just Capers.

The two long passes that the Eagles scored on were downright embarrassing. DeSean Jackson walked in backwards from 5 yards and Cooper rolled into the endzone...I mean, seriously. C'mon.

This is the great question to me.
Do we always use the same scheme because Capers stinks or because the players are dumb?

Luis
Offline Pack93z  
#13 Posted : Monday, November 11, 2013 11:49:40 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 403
Applause Received: 1,097

I get the sense of panic.. that the season may be slipping away.. but flipping out a DC mid-season probably isn't the correct answer.

The lull right now in the Packers season is more of an attrition issue than anything else. You cannot sustain the types of injuries that we have, play sloppy ball at times during games and expect to win.

The margin of potential victory for the Packers has decreased significantly with the injuries we have sustained.. you keep plugging in new personnel and expect the playbook to be expanded? It is a team game with a bunch of moving parts that need to work in concert.. it is becoming more and more difficult when the rotations consistently change.

I am not saying Capers is the answer.. but I can almost certainly say that in a tough spot like we are in, changing the DC out and expecting all the become righted is not just going to happen. If they were even considering it an option going into this season.. then Capers should have been walked in the offseason. Not midstream in the grind with the chips down on the table and us being extremely short stacked.

Personally, I am more disappointed in us being consistently decimated by injury with no logical reason year after year than "Bad Luck".

Everyone is speculating on two words from Mike McCarthy during an emotional presser... Lombardi Ave probably wrote the piece as a guess so they could post it ASAP if something like that happened. Inadvertently posted it.. and pulled it back.

It would be exposing Mike McCarthy tell's at this point to react in that nature.. we shall see.

Message modified by user Monday, November 11, 2013 12:15:47 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#14 Posted : Monday, November 11, 2013 11:52:44 AM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 14
Applause Received: 442

Any move like this would not be made until there was NO chance of making the playoffs. The move would be a sign of the team packing it in for the season. And we clearly are not to that point.

Now even if we assume that they would can Capers at this point, what makes anybody think that Moss would even be in the discussion as a replacement? Because he has the assistant HC title? He has been Lbers coach, and only lbers coach. Head coaches normally have experience with multiple positions if not all.

Winston IMO, is not assistance HC because of his ability to be a DC IMO. It is because of player relations reasons.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline play2win  
#15 Posted : Monday, November 11, 2013 12:23:29 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Hmmm. Like others here, I can't believe Mike McCarthy would fire Capers. Especially mid season. A fire does need to be lit under our D's asses though. No question.
Rss Feed