VinceLambeauStarr
10 years ago
Looking at the defensive personnel on the roster, combining them with our current scheme and analyzing the players we have -: My question to you fine folk is, how close do you think this unit to being one of the better defenses in the NFL. The type of defense that doesn't need to be the absolute best, but can be relied upon to get that vital stop, interception and have those games where they overwhelm a lackluster offense.

My overall conclusion is, that with the loss of two/three key contributors in the last few years (Woodson, Collins and Jenkins) the defense has lost some of their playmaking identity, and as such is sort of at a crossroads with who they are and what they aim to achieve.

I don’t think there needs to be wholesale changes, i.e. Kansas City’s recent restructure. I do think though, that across the board there needs to subtle changes, along with one seismic one.

First off, i'll get it out the way - I think Capers needs to go NOW. It would be a different story if all of the defensive unit were inept but that isn't the case. It just isn't working and having a random fantastic week followed by three mundane weeks just oozes complacency. Fresh impetus could fire this unit to play according to their ability.

Defensive Line - Probably the strongest unit of the whole defense. Versatile enough to adapt to another scheme and relatively young. I don't think major changes here would benefit anyone. Probably want a replacement for Pickett.

Linebackers - We need better depth both outside and inside.

Secondary - Desperately missing a star. Before his decline, Woodson was that guy. Before his injury, Collins was capable of sheer brilliance at times. Williams is declining by the game.

In closing, I am of the opinion that coaching changes, plus one true superstud would somewhat resolve the defense' struggles.

How about you all?

UserPostedImage 
Zero2Cool is my captain.
hardrocker950
10 years ago
I agree with this. Ever since Collins left - the secondary just hasn't been the same. Without Woodson, they have really slipped in coverage - if you can even call it "coverage." I really thought Tramon was going to be a big contributor, but as of late I don't see it. Some of the issues are the lack of talent at safety, but the schemes are just begging to be exploited. I rarely, actually never see them challenging receivers at the line - which would help slow down play development.

I think our DL and LBs are decent as far as our starters, and to a degree our backups. I believe a lot of the issues are the playcalling. I see little agression when they have 3rd and long - which is when the pressure needs to be strong. Rushing only 2-3 guys is not going to work when they are expecting a blitz - especially when it is always the same guys.

Capers being fired would not be a "knee jerk" move imo. The guy obviously is not willing to adjust the gameplan, nor is he going to change his playcalling to make up for the shortcomings in personnel. This is the definition of poor coaching and is unacceptable at the pro level. If I know better as a fan, then he HAS to know as a professional.
nerdmann
10 years ago

I agree with this. Ever since Collins left - the secondary just hasn't been the same. Without Woodson, they have really slipped in coverage - if you can even call it "coverage." I really thought Tramon was going to be a big contributor, but as of late I don't see it. Some of the issues are the lack of talent at safety, but the schemes are just begging to be exploited. I rarely, actually never see them challenging receivers at the line - which would help slow down play development.

I think our DL and LBs are decent as far as our starters, and to a degree our backups. I believe a lot of the issues are the playcalling. I see little agression when they have 3rd and long - which is when the pressure needs to be strong. Rushing only 2-3 guys is not going to work when they are expecting a blitz - especially when it is always the same guys.

Capers being fired would not be a "knee jerk" move imo. The guy obviously is not willing to adjust the gameplan, nor is he going to change his playcalling to make up for the shortcomings in personnel. This is the definition of poor coaching and is unacceptable at the pro level. If I know better as a fan, then he HAS to know as a professional.

Originally Posted by: hardrocker950 

They players are not in position. Plain and simple.

There are bad play calls on D too. But we can sit here and blame the players all we want. But who's teaching them? You never see Edgar Bennett's guys out of position. Why's that?
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago
You got it all wrong.

Capers' schemes and blitz packages are keeping the Packers from giving up even more on defense. The personnel - basically everybody other than Matthews is pretty mediocre. The weakness didn't seem so glaring with Rodgers enabling the Packers to outscore teams, but the D basically is what it is, and we have Ted Thompson to thank/blame for that.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Laser Gunns
10 years ago

You got it all wrong.

Capers' schemes and blitz packages are keeping the Packers from giving up even more on defense. The personnel - basically everybody other than Matthews is pretty mediocre. The weakness didn't seem so glaring with Rodgers enabling the Packers to outscore teams, but the D basically is what it is, and we have Ted Thompson to thank/blame for that.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

Can't believe it.. But I agree with TPB on something.

Our front 7 is making 1on1 blocking look the the great fucking wall. Nobody is winning those.

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
nerdmann
10 years ago

Can't believe it.. But I agree with TPB on something.

Our front 7 is making 1on1 blocking look the the great f*cking wall. Nobody is winning those.

Originally Posted by: RajiRoar 

Bullshit.

We were what, 3rd in the league in rushing D until two weeks ago? Ted is a genius the way he stocks this team. What other team could even have half these injures and still have any hope whatsoever?

It's just for whatever reason, guys in the back are out of position and the guys in the front aren't on the field.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
play2win
10 years ago
Do the Packers put a waiver claim in for Ed Reed? I don't see how that could hurt. Doubt highly we would get him, but I would love to see that happen.

Having a better presence at S opposite Burnett would help immensely. Clearing up the Hayward issue would help too. Get someone who has a healthy set of legs under him in there. Hyde and House looked to be coming along very well together in our secondary prior to Hayward's attempted comeback.

As for Capers, I think looking for a change in that guard midseason is wishful thinking, and I am with you on it. I think a change would shake up this defense, and make them more accountable. I just don't think McCarthy works that way.

They have to do something though, because the attrition through injury at LB has adversely affected our options running the 3-4. We have a boatload of healthy, able DL, ready to play. A scheme switch to a 4-3 might help the D overall. CJ Wilson, Josh Boyd and Jerel Worthy have yet to see the field of play. Why not give them a go? Those are the things I would like to see changed now to get our D playing better.

If we do implement a scheme change, Capers might be just the guy to make it successful, so, I would hesitate to run him out of town. I'm hot and cold on that. Dom Capers is a highly accomplished DC. He didn't have the tools he needed up front the past couple of years. Now, he has them, IMO, but the back end of our D is in some flux. We still need that major upgrade at S, two seasons after the loss of Collins. Maybe the help comes in the form of Sean Richardson. Maybe Ed Reed...
hardrocker950
10 years ago

Do the Packers put a waiver claim in for Ed Reed? I don't see how that could hurt. Doubt highly we would get him, but I would love to see that happen.

Having a better presence at S opposite Burnett would help immensely. Clearing up the Hayward issue would help too. Get someone who has a healthy set of legs under him in there. Hyde and House looked to be coming along very well together in our secondary prior to Hayward's attempted comeback.

As for Capers, I think looking for a change in that guard midseason is wishful thinking, and I am with you on it. I think a change would shake up this defense, and make them more accountable. I just don't think McCarthy works that way.

They have to do something though, because the attrition through injury at LB has adversely affected our options running the 3-4. We have a boatload of healthy, able DL, ready to play. A scheme switch to a 4-3 might help the D overall. CJ Wilson, Josh Boyd and Jerel Worthy have yet to see the field of play. Why not give them a go? Those are the things I would like to see changed now to get our D playing better.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

Ya, I saw that Houston let Reed go. I have to guess he has dropped off - I haven't really been following Houston, so I can only speculate. Although our safety personnel leaves a lot to be desired, I'm not sure he is what we need. Along with that, it would be shocking if Ted even considered a FA safety because...well - we are talking about TT. Ed is getting old in NFL years - so the only way I even see it as a possibility is a low end contract.
steveishere
10 years ago
I think it's highly questionable whether Ed Reed would be a "better" presence. It's not like Houston has some great prospects at that position that just bumped him off the roster. He got released because he's been bad.
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago
The good side of Ted Thompson is he doesn't grab a lot of has-beens. I don't think he goes after Reed, and I'm satisfied that way.

As for Capers schemes and the relative success against the run game early on, Capers ain't just about blitz packages; He is good at designing a D to stop whatever he sees as the primary threat. The problem is, without adequate personnel, that opens up something else.

What do you prefer, a bland D that doesn't stop much of anything - which basically is what we had before Capers? Or a chess game that may work out and shut down whatever the opponent does best or may flop and let lesser threats hit us hard? When we had Rodgers playing, this question wasn't all that critical - win 45-17 or win 45-31? Who cares, a win is a win. But without that high-powered O from Rodgers, it makes all the difference.

I'd still rather have what Capers gives us instead of what came before. And the WORST thing would be to fire him and keep the same D without his brains behind it.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (2h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (2h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (5h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (6h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (16h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (23h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.