Porforis
10 years ago
How much of the offense's success in the past from a playcall perspective fell on Rodgers' ability to change the play on the fly?
play2win
10 years ago

How much of the offense's success in the past from a playcall perspective fell on Rodgers' ability to change the play on the fly?

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

I would say quite a lot. That is why I want Flynn in there instead of Tolzien. Simply for the fact that he's had multiple years in our system, vs. multiple weeks since Sept., and that he has seen the defensive adjustments on the other side and has made adjustments accordingly.

Do I like Scott Tolzien and his arm, his demeanor? Yeah, but it seems he is just too inexperienced in both our system and the pro game in general. He has some very positive attributes that I believe can be groomed with some time. But, he was on the PS just two weeks ago. The good has been really good, but the bad has also been really bad. Huge mistakes. Pick sixes are tough to overcome, for any team, and, 5 INTs through 2 games?

Flynn backed up Rodgers for years, and has shown the ability to manage the team properly, and to make the throws. Breaking all-time team records for passing in nothing to sneeze at. Flynn gives us a better shot at winning in my opinion.

I think the bigger question is, can Mike McCarthy get his team ready to win? On all levels? That, and can he game plan to make Flynn more of a game manager, rather than the second coming of Aaron Rodgers? Make it more of a realistic game for Flynn to play and realize success in?

Who knows? They'll probably stick with Tolzien.
buckeyepackfan
10 years ago

I would say quite a lot. That is why I want Flynn in there instead of Tolzien. Simply for the fact that he's had multiple years in our system, vs. multiple weeks since Sept., and that he has seen the defensive adjustments on the other side and has made adjustments accordingly.

Do I like Scott Tolzien and his arm, his demeanor? Yeah, but it seems he is just too inexperienced in both our system and the pro game in general. He has some very positive attributes that I believe can be groomed with some time. But, he was on the PS just two weeks ago. The good has been really good, but the bad has also been really bad. Huge mistakes. Pick sixes are tough to overcome, for any team, and, 5 INTs through 2 games?

Flynn backed up Rodgers for years, and has shown the ability to manage the team properly, and to make the throws. Breaking all-time team records for passing in nothing to sneeze at. Flynn gives us a better shot at winning in my opinion.

I think the bigger question is, can Mike McCarthy get his team ready to win? On all levels? That, and can he game plan to make Flynn more of a game manager, rather than the second coming of Aaron Rodgers? Make it more of a realistic game for Flynn to play and realize success in?

Who knows? They'll probably stick with Tolzien.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

I hi-lited a section of your quote, not only Tolzien, but how many other Packers should you give the same consideration to?

I am all for the draft and develop theory, but look at this year, Ted ended up with 11 drafted or undrafted rookies on the squad, and most have been thrust into major playing time due to injuries.

These rookies along with most of the 2nd year guys, are being forced to grow up fast, and are expected to perform like 4-5 year vets.

I really hope, that when next year comes around, that Ted doesn't see the need to turn 6 draft picks into 11 and we as fans will once more be talking about "all the great potential" these guys have, only to be real disappointed when they fail at times when forced into doing something they are not ready for.

Young teams are great to watch, but I think you will find, championship teams have a good number of veteran players who have learned how to grind thorugh a whole season.

That being said, I think Tolzien is going to get his 1st win as a starting NFL qb this Sunday.

Unless of course Zero is right and we have as Steven A calls him "that baaaaaaaaaaad man" back under center.

πŸ˜„ πŸ˜„ πŸ˜„
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Cheesey
10 years ago
With our lousy defense, it takes a Aaron
Rodgers to even have a chance to win.
If Rodgers can't play Sunday, I'd give Flynn
the start as he at least is expierienced.
But Mike McCarthy already said Tolzien gets the start.
UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
10 years ago
It is a lot easier to come in and play in replacement of Rodgers, when you are throwing to Jennings, Driver, Jones, Nelson, Finley. Than when you come in missing 2 of the top 5 receiving options and missing one or two starting Olineman.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
play2win
10 years ago

I hi-lited a section of your quote, not only Tolzien, but how many other Packers should you give the same consideration to?

I am all for the draft and develop theory, but look at this year, Ted ended up with 11 drafted or undrafted rookies on the squad, and most have been thrust into major playing time due to injuries.

These rookies along with most of the 2nd year guys, are being forced to grow up fast, and are expected to perform like 4-5 year vets.

I really hope, that when next year comes around, that Ted doesn't see the need to turn 6 draft picks into 11 and we as fans will once more be talking about "all the great potential" these guys have, only to be real disappointed when they fail at times when forced into doing something they are not ready for.

Young teams are great to watch, but I think you will find, championship teams have a good number of veteran players who have learned how to grind thorugh a whole season.

That being said, I think Tolzien is going to get his 1st win as a starting NFL qb this Sunday.

Unless of course Zero is right and we have as Steven A calls him "that baaaaaaaaaaad man" back under center.

πŸ˜„ πŸ˜„ πŸ˜„

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

Very different when talking about the most important position on the team. That's why I would chose Flynn. We have to win out. I'm looking ahead to DET. I would rather have Flynn get one win and some reps before heading into that Thanksgiving game. Again, 5 INTs in 2 games for Tolzien?

McCarthy feels differently, and I think that is the wrong call. I find myself trusting McCarthy less and less to make the best decisions.
dhazer
10 years ago
I am still confused on why so many say we should start Flynn, the guy couldn't even start in Buffalo when they lost their top 2 qbs. He couldn't start in Oakland or Seattle either. Hell if it is because he knows the system why not call old #4 he knows the system better than Flynn lol.

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be πŸ™‚ (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
10 years ago
Hazer...you ask why? Because we have seen what
Tolzien can do, and are not sure he
can win for us.
What have we to lose ?
UserPostedImage
play2win
10 years ago

Hazer...you ask why? Because we have seen what
Tolzien can do, and are not sure he
can win for us.
What have we to lose ?

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

You're right Cheesey. 5 INTs in 2 games. Those were big. If we could take 3 of those back, maybe we are 7-3 right now, instead of 5-5.

I'm not saying Flynn is good, healthy, able to make all the throws. Just that he knows the system far better than Tolzien, and has guided this Packers team to a win before. We essentially have to win out to make the playoffs. Sustaining another loss due to freakish INTs is not going to do it. We need a QB who can play a very careful game back there, with all of the chips on the line. Flynn has won a National Championship, and backed up a Super Bowl winner. I simply trust Flynn to get the job done at this point more than I do Tolzien.

I do believe both Flynn and Tolzien can win against MIN on Sunday. However, the following week v. DET might be another thing altogether. Given that, I would rather have Flynn have this MIN game to get into some kind of groove to better prepare for that Thanksgiving Day game in DET. Again, we have to win out.

This staff clearly likes Tolzien for this week better. Maybe the kid can do it. I have my doubts though after the way all of our plays were telegraphed to the NYG defense prior to the snap. They knew exactly what we were going to do. How far was Tolzien able to work in the progressions? What kind of adjustments was he able to make at the line of scrimmage? The kid has been on just the Practice Squad since Sept 2nd. Signed to the roster Nov. 6th. That was TWO WEEKS AGO! That is not a lot of time to know the system. Flynn has been an integral part of the Packers system for 4 solid years, 2008-20012, in the QB meeting room, competing for roster spots, backing up Rodgers, etc. To me, it seems like a no-brainer.
gbguy20
10 years ago
When you hit the 3 to enter this thread it brings u to the homepage.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (6h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (13h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (14h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (15h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? πŸ₯Ί I think that means you missed more than half of them 😒
dfosterf (18h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (20h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (20h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (20h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (20h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (20h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (20h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (20h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (20h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (20h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead πŸ€ͺ
Zero2Cool (21h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (21h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (21h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (21h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright Β© 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.comβ„’. All Rights Reserved.