Reignman
10 years ago
So what do the fans of our rival think of Ponder? I don't mean the usual rivalry rhetoric, I mean what do you really think of him as a starting QB in the NFL?

I think a lot of Viking fans had to be put on suicide watch today when they learned Ponder will again be starting, because according to Leslie "Milquetoast" Frazier, "he gives us the best chance to win". Which is what he's been saying since Ponder was named the starter vs the Packers at the dome a few weeks ago. As if the rest of us don't have eye sight.

A lot of fans seem to believe this is our way of tanking for the top draft pick. I guess that's the only thing that makes logical sense at this point. Surly they don't believe Ponder is still the answer ... or at least I hope not anyway. I would estimate 95% of our fan base has been fed up with this bust since week 3. The other 5% are required to wear padded helmets and belong in special ed with Ponder.

Everyone is baffled about the Freeman situation. All we get from our GM is that he can evaluate Freeman without seeing him play. Stop laughing, he really said that. But 6 weeks on the team and I guess he still doesn't know the offense, but nobody was fired for allowing him to start vs the Giants on national TV. And nobody knows why Cassel has suddenly become the invisible man. True none of our QB's strike fear into any defense, but to say Ponder gives us the best chance to win? Well that's just embarrassing on so many levels, and insulting to anyone with an IQ above 60.

So how big of a joke are we with Ponder at QB? Is it as bad as I think it is? Do you laugh as much as I cringe every time he drops back to attempt a pass?
DakotaT
10 years ago
Thanks for coming and asking us these questions, but we are a fan base that has been incredibly spoiled at the quarterback position so our opinions of your situation are really not very valuable.

I think Christian Ponder could have been drafted in the fourth round, so he is a complete waste of high draft pick. Minnesota has not put in place a good quarterback coach, well probably since forever. He has slightly better accuracy than T-jack, so that is a major problem.

He does benefit from having the best running back in the league, but because of poor play calling and his accuracy issues - he can't capitalize on this major advantage. I wouldn't give up on him yet, but it is imperative to get the guy better coaching. After all, from what I understand, he is intelligent.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
10 years ago
I think the joke was taking Christian Ponder with the 17th (??) overall pick. When you make that high of a pick, you have to give the player 2-3 seasons to validate your selection. Signing Josh Freeman for what he's getting to ride the bench, that's a joke in itself. Ideally, they'd draft a QB high this coming draft and let Matt Cassell hold the reigns until the new QB can be inserted at the right time.

Unfortunately, that time might be when Adrian Peterson is no longer as effective as he once was.
UserPostedImage
sschind
10 years ago

I think the joke was taking Christian Ponder with the 17th (??) overall pick. When you make that high of a pick, you have to give the player 2-3 seasons to validate your selection. Signing Josh Freeman for what he's getting to ride the bench, that's a joke in itself. Ideally, they'd draft a QB high this coming draft and let Matt Cassell hold the reigns until the new QB can be inserted at the right time.

Unfortunately, that time might be when Adrian Peterson is no longer as effective as he once was.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

We can only hope.

steveishere
10 years ago
I'm no Ponder fan but he's not really any worse than Cassell and Freeman. I have no idea why Minnesota decided to spend 3m on Freeman. I don't think it matters who they start they'll still have the same chance to win.
Cheesey
10 years ago
I like you Reignman. You seem to be a knowledgeable football fan, and don't come here to be a "troll". I respect you for that.
I don't think the Vikings are trying to tank on purpose. I think this is what it is: They want a last look at Ponder to see if he CAN lead the team, and if he does lousy, he will be sent packing at the end of this season.
I think Ponder needs some guidance. I don't think they are playing to his strong points. I don't even think they KNOW what his strong points are, because he's not been allowed to really show what he can or can't do. And Peterson's talent has been wasted, kind of like Barry Sanders was in Detroit. That can be attributed to poor coaching and draft picks.

I also think that the reasons i already stated are why Freeman has been sitting on the sidelines. The Vikings hope of going anywhere this year are over, so why throw the new guy out there, where he is sure to fail? Give Freeman the off season to learn the offense, and give him a chance to show his stuff when all teams are 0-0.

That's how I see it, at least.
UserPostedImage
sschind
10 years ago

I like you Reignman. You seem to be a knowledgeable football fan, and don't come here to be a "troll". I respect you for that.
I don't think the Vikings are trying to tank on purpose. I think this is what it is: They want a last look at Ponder to see if he CAN lead the team, and if he does lousy, he will be sent packing at the end of this season.
I think Ponder needs some guidance. I don't think they are playing to his strong points. I don't even think they KNOW what his strong points are, because he's not been allowed to really show what he can or can't do. And Peterson's talent has been wasted, kind of like Barry Sanders was in Detroit. That can be attributed to poor coaching and draft picks.

I also think that the reasons i already stated are why Freeman has been sitting on the sidelines. The Vikings hope of going anywhere this year are over, so why throw the new guy out there, where he is sure to fail? Give Freeman the off season to learn the offense, and give him a chance to show his stuff when all teams are 0-0.

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

That's probably the way it is. Ponder is young so they want to see if he shows any promise at all before they cut him lose. freeman probably won't be the QB of the Future but he may be good enough to at least start next season while the new rookie learns the ropes. They probably figure they know what they have in Freeman as far as upside goes but Ponder still has question marks. They could also be trying to showcase him a bit so they might be able to trade him for something. If he comes on a little bit they may not have to simply cut him lose.

hardrocker950
10 years ago

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

Pretty much my thoughts. They have guys that can make plays - if they can get them the ball. Rudolph has shown that he can do some damage, and us Packer fans know what Jennings is capable of. If Minnesota had a reliable and consistant QB - I have to think they would look like an entirely different team. I don't think I have to detail what a world of difference that scenario would mean having Peterson in the backfield.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (10m) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (10h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (17h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (18h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (18h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (22h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.