Zero2Cool
10 years ago

Green Bay – Some sports psychologists will tell you a little bit of adversity is good. It can be a rallying cry. A focal point. It can develop coping skills.

But too much, and too much of it at once, can be too much to overcome.

Are the Packers facing that right now?

Consider what Matt Flynn was up against when he came in the third quarter at quarterback.

It wasn’t just that he is the fourth quarterback to play for the Packers since Aaron Rodgers got hurt, after Seneca Wallace and Scott Tolzien.

It was that he was totally new to the new Packers.

How many snaps did he get this week in practice?

“I think I got four snaps with the regular offense calling the plays,” said Flynn.

Now, left tackle David Bakhtiari – a rookie – dealt with this at Colorado.

“In college, I had like three quarterbacks in one game,” he said.

So he knew what he had to do as soon as Flynn was called in to action. And it wasn’t a question about a big touchdown throw to win the game.

“As soon as I heard he was going in, I said ‘hey, let me hear your cadence,’” said Bakhtiari. “’Because everyone talks differently. Let me just hear you talk.’ Because when I’m out there, away and even home, I pretty much hear the least. I mean, the wide receivers can’t hear anything. But as an offensive lineman, I can only pick up a few sounds. I had to make sure I knew we were on the same page.”

That’s why Flynn took some of the responsibility for the false start penalties on the offensive line at what seemed to be the worst possible time.

“My operation in the no huddle needs to get better,” said Flynn. “Its kind of tough on those offensive linemen, we’re in a two-minute mode, no huddle and they’re listening to me call the snap count. It’s something I’ve got to work on because I’m not going to sit here and say all those false starts are on them. It’s a tough situation when they’re hearing a completely new snap count.”

Flynn said he was still confident, and he felt the Packers were in him, too.

“I was fired up to go in, I was ready. I told Mike (McCarthy), ‘here’s the plays I’m comfortable with and let’s go at it,’” said Flynn. “I was proud of the guys for fighting. I don’t know how many we were down when I came in but the looks from people’s faces in the huddle, I don’t think there was any doubt that we would win.”

Added Clay Matthews when asked about the comeback led by Flynn: “I’m not going to call it hope, but there’s something to look forward to right there, that our offense can put points on the board.”

And A.J. Hawk: “People talk about it all the time – he’s a gamer. He knows how to win. I think of a guy like Eddie Lacy that comes from those huge college programs that know how to win, they’re good, smart football players. And there’s something to that.”

"We overcame adversity, we showed a lot of heart out there to come back, on offense and defense, to force overtime,” said Lacy.

JSOnline Blog  wrote:

UserPostedImage
play2win
10 years ago
It was a remarkable comeback yesterday by Flynn and the Packers. No question he was the spark. Smart of Bakhtiari to ask him his cadence. I just can't believe Flynn only got 4 snaps in practice. Wow. Makes me wonder if this coaching staff is going the extra mile to see that we win games. To better insure that we win… ???
dhazer
10 years ago
The Main thing being missed here is we didn't win the game, plain and simple we did not win so it was not a comeback. Why did Mike McCarthy let Tolzein pick his plays instead of run on 1st and 2nd downs and then run 5 yard routes when you need 10 yards. I still say we let Tolzein and Flynn finish out the season and play some of the other guys in contract years. If the season ended today we would have the 18th pick but if we lose another 2 games we would probably have a top 10 pick or even a top 6 pick. I say we play for next year because we don't stand any chance to make a run against the likes of the Panthers, 49ers, Seahawks or Saints ( hell their game against the Cowboys would be a close game compared to us)
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
play2win
10 years ago

The Main thing being missed here is we didn't win the game, plain and simple we did not win so it was not a comeback. Why did Mike McCarthy let Tolzein pick his plays instead of run on 1st and 2nd downs and then run 5 yard routes when you need 10 yards. I still say we let Tolzein and Flynn finish out the season and play some of the other guys in contract years. If the season ended today we would have the 18th pick but if we lose another 2 games we would probably have a top 10 pick or even a top 6 pick. I say we play for next year because we don't stand any chance to make a run against the likes of the Panthers, 49ers, Seahawks or Saints ( hell their game against the Cowboys would be a close game compared to us)

Originally Posted by: dhazer 

Well, being it was a tie, we did make a pretty remarkable comeback to avoid the loss. That is fact.

I hear you dhazer on what will become of our season should we even make the playoffs. However, I didn't think we stood a chance in 2010. Not at all. Beating PHI and ATL the way we did to advance. Those were remarkable wins, and Rodgers led the way. Should Rodgers return ready to go for DAL in 3 weeks, and we are able to stack a couple of wins v. DET and ATL, we may have a real shot at doing something good. If we do win out, that would mean we are playing some good football, and we would be one of the hottest teams going into the playoffs.

Can't just write that off. If we can get our D back on track like they were prior to Rodgers' injury, we could be OK.

Back on topic, it was pretty heads-up for the rookie, Bakhtiari, to ask Flynn for his cadence. It is a shame he didn't get more reps during the week leading up to the game for EDS and Lang to have a better handle on that. Might have helped us get the W. I blame that on McCarthy and the staff. Have ALL of your guys ready.

I'm not seeing the extra work by this staff, at all. Where is it? Where is the planning and preparation to give us the best chance to win?
nerdmann
10 years ago

Originally Posted by: dhazer 

Fuck that shit.

We're a half game back.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
sschind
10 years ago

It was a remarkable comeback yesterday by Flynn and the Packers. No question he was the spark. Smart of Bakhtiari to ask him his cadence. I just can't believe Flynn only got 4 snaps in practice. Wow. Makes me wonder if this coaching staff is going the extra mile to see that we win games. To better insure that we win… ???

Originally Posted by: play2win 

When you have a starter like Rodgers, Manning, Brees, Brady etc. the backups hardly get any reps. When you have a backup to a backup as your starter then his backup certainly isn't going to get any reps. Your starter needs the reps unless he is one of the established ones and even then they get most of them.

Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (9h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (9h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.