Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#26 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2013 9:03:16 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 482
Applause Received: 293

Originally Posted by: cheeseheads123 Go to Quoted Post
These are the kind of threads you will enjoy looking back at next off season after the Packers win 9 in a row

I wholeheartedly believe that is possible, but to a great extent, it illustrates my point. The ONLY way that is gonna happen is if we get Aaron Rodgers back pretty damn quick.

These four games - 3 losses and a tie, which all coulda/shoulda/woulda been wins if Aaron Rodgers was playing, shows what life would be like for the Packers if we didn't have Rodgers.

You can point to Matthews, Nelson, Cobb, and some low rounders or UDFAs and say Thompson is a "great talent evaluator", but I say if that was true, we never would have had somebody like Raji - when there are Donterio Poes out there. Look how quick the Bears rebuilt a bad O-Line; Look at even the lame-assed Vikings - Gerhart came in and did better than Peterson, why? because they had an O-Line that could block. All this talk about if we just had a decent bookend for Matthews or a playmaker in the middle or quality replacements for Woodson and Collins, well yeah, hell yeah, and why don't we have those things? TED THOMPSON!

Yeah, we certainly could win out all the way to and through the Super Bowl - with Aaron Rodgers masking the weakness on defense, running for his life with the O-Line weakness, etc. My point is simply, it could be a helluva lot better if we had better quality all around, and I blame Ted Thompson for the fact that we don't.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline QCHuskerFan  
#27 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2013 11:18:49 AM(UTC)
QCHuskerFan

Applause Given: 96
Applause Received: 161

It is most certainly TT's fault that we didn't have P Manning backing up ARod. And JJ Watt backing up Jolly. Clearly Ted Thompson should have signed Calvin Johnson to back up Cobb. WTH was he thinking?

I have 4 vehicles. All of them are more than 2 years old. Why? Obviously I wish I had all new vehicles. But the reality I am faced with is I can't afford 4 shiny, new vehicles (Especially with 2 teenagers driving.)
Ted Thompson is faced with the same reality. Is anyone stupid enough to think he doesn't wish he had a depth chart with proven starters going 3 deep? That he doesn't see holes in our roster?

He could have signed a free agent S last year. There was a good leader available. Think Houston or Jets are happy with free agent Ed Reed? Think MN is excited about the value Jennings brought? 10M signing bonus for 2 TD's? What about the Browns and Paul Kruger? 2.5 sacks for $6M signing bonus!

There is a common misconception that great players are out there in Free Agency. It's just not true. There is very little affordable talent in the open market. For every Charles Woodson, there is 100 castoffs that someone will overpay for.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
play2win on 11/25/2013(UTC)
Offline DarkaneRules  
#28 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2013 11:29:00 AM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Applause Given: 211
Applause Received: 358

Great post! The cap makes every GM's job that much harder. Free agency is a big risk. One team I think plays that generally well is the Patriots. Aqib Talib was a great pick up for them when their defense needed experience back there.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Offline nerdmann  
#29 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2013 11:39:43 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,715
Applause Received: 666

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
I wholeheartedly believe that is possible, but to a great extent, it illustrates my point. The ONLY way that is gonna happen is if we get Aaron Rodgers back pretty damn quick.

These four games - 3 losses and a tie, which all coulda/shoulda/woulda been wins if Aaron Rodgers was playing, shows what life would be like for the Packers if we didn't have Rodgers.

You can point to Matthews, Nelson, Cobb, and some low rounders or UDFAs and say Thompson is a "great talent evaluator", but I say if that was true, we never would have had somebody like Raji - when there are Donterio Poes out there. Look how quick the Bears rebuilt a bad O-Line; Look at even the lame-assed Vikings - Gerhart came in and did better than Peterson, why? because they had an O-Line that could block. All this talk about if we just had a decent bookend for Matthews or a playmaker in the middle or quality replacements for Woodson and Collins, well yeah, hell yeah, and why don't we have those things? TED THOMPSON!

Yeah, we certainly could win out all the way to and through the Super Bowl - with Aaron Rodgers masking the weakness on defense, running for his life with the O-Line weakness, etc. My point is simply, it could be a helluva lot better if we had better quality all around, and I blame Ted Thompson for the fact that we don't.

Our Oline is pretty good too. How many yards did Lacy get yesterday? And we're on our 5th string T on the right side. lol.

THANK YOU TED.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline dan.prouty  
#30 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2013 12:18:51 PM(UTC)
dan.prouty

Applause Received: 1

Originally Posted by: Gaycandybacon Go to Quoted Post

Get rid of Hawk and Tramon.

Agreed, Hawk has helped his reputation by having one or two really good games, but he has been sorry for a couple of years no. Even Aaron Nagler said he wanted to see the players have heart and determination. It is sad when I am excited to see Bush in the game because of this reason.
Offline cheeseheads123  
#31 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2013 3:13:36 PM(UTC)
cheeseheads123

Applause Given: 72
Applause Received: 120

The Saints went from one of the worst defenses in the league last year to a top 5-10 defense this year. Saints fans strongly felt that it was because of the lack of talent and I am pretty sure they only brought in a few new faces this season. However, they did change defensive coordinators. What I am getting at is that I am still not ready to declare that our defensive problems are because of the lack of talent.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann on 11/25/2013(UTC)
Offline DarkaneRules  
#32 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2013 3:28:33 PM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Applause Given: 211
Applause Received: 358

They were also mired in bounty-gate. But I see where your head is at. Do people believe Dom's coaching is outdated, that he has lost his ability the players to play to their ability or what? Or do we just crave change now when times look bleak? I wish I knew. The players sound like they are holding themselves accountable though and that to me is the sign of good coaching.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#33 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2013 3:52:04 PM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

United States

Applause Given: 145
Applause Received: 178

Originally Posted by: dhazer Go to Quoted Post
Don't give me well they are injured excuse because he has a tendency to draft players with injury history. Do I say replace him? No not at this time because I can't think of who we could get to replace him.

Does he really? Was there really any really big injury history with any of the players we've drafted? Or did they just start getting injured when they got to the NFL?

I don't recall anything other than this year with Lacy.
Offline steveishere  
#34 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2013 3:59:07 PM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 48
Applause Received: 981

This is just my opinion but I feel like our players on offense are playing up to their talent level for the most part. I don't think that's the case for a majority of the defensive players. That's why I lean toward coaching being a problem. They'll have some stretches in games on D where they completely dominate the other team and then all of a sudden they fall apart and start getting thrashed for a huge stretch of the game. I realize the other team gets paid too but I've rarely walked away from watching a game thinking our defense out coached the other teams offense. Mostly when we have a good defensive game it felt more like surviving than dominating.
Offline Yerko  
#35 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2013 4:00:13 PM(UTC)
Yerko

Applause Given: 160
Applause Received: 264

Damn you to hell Ted Thompson for not having the ability to efficiently fill in the voids at 16 different positions due to injuries.

You are awful.
UserPostedImage
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#36 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2013 4:00:51 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 355
Applause Received: 458

Does he really? Was there really any really big injury history with any of the players we've drafted? Or did they just start getting injured when they got to the NFL?

The only other players I can remember were James Starks(6th rnd pick), who has worked out pretty well and Justin Harrell(1st rnd pick), who as we all know didn't get on the field very much.

I'll call it a "wash"

Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’. "Stats are for Losers"
Offline warhawk  
#37 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2013 4:01:08 PM(UTC)
warhawk

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 227

All this for a team that has won more games than probably 98% of the other NFL teams over the last five years?

Pretty short memories, eh?

I don't buy the "just Arod" theory going around either. Would either Tolzein or Flynn not benefit from having Cobb and Finley out there to throw to? Call me nuts but I think those two benefit MORE if these guys could play because Rodgers is just that good. He makes average players look good.

These other guys NEED that talent around them. We don't have the guys on the field that puts this offense in the top two or three in the entire league. Now we don't have the guys on the field to help a Flynn or whoever pull out wins. That includes Barclay.

Put it this way. This week we were without the services of Rodgers, Finley, Cobb, Barclay, Perry, Shields, Jolly and Hayward. Throw Bulaga in there for good measure and I would say that's the start of a pretty damn good football team don't ya think?

So they replace these guys with others that have greater weakness' (that's why they don't start, right?) and the coaches have to try and figure out how to least expose the weak areas of these players game and still be able to create a functional game plan.

But we sit here and kick TT's butt, McCarthy, the Assistant coaches, the scheme, and, the players still left standing.

You know what? I like this team. I like the players. I like the coaches. Give them a couple of DB's that don't need seeing eye dogs and they are as good as anybody. Too bad half of 'em are sitting over there with beanies or hoodies watching.

"The train is leaving the station."
thanks Post received 3 applause.
buckeyepackfan on 11/25/2013(UTC), Yerko on 11/25/2013(UTC), Gaycandybacon on 11/25/2013(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#38 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2013 4:41:08 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Ted gambled on Harrell with a high pick.

He does NOT routinely draft players with a long injury history.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline nerdmann  
#39 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2013 4:43:22 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: warhawk Go to Quoted Post
All this for a team that has won more games than probably 98% of the other NFL teams over the last five years?

Pretty short memories, eh?

I don't buy the "just Arod" theory going around either. Would either Tolzein or Flynn not benefit from having Cobb and Finley out there to throw to? Call me nuts but I think those two benefit MORE if these guys could play because Rodgers is just that good. He makes average players look good.

These other guys NEED that talent around them. We don't have the guys on the field that puts this offense in the top two or three in the entire league. Now we don't have the guys on the field to help a Flynn or whoever pull out wins. That includes Barclay.

Put it this way. This week we were without the services of Rodgers, Finley, Cobb, Barclay, Perry, Shields, Jolly and Hayward. Throw Bulaga in there for good measure and I would say that's the start of a pretty damn good football team don't ya think?

So they replace these guys with others that have greater weakness' (that's why they don't start, right?) and the coaches have to try and figure out how to least expose the weak areas of these players game and still be able to create a functional game plan.

But we sit here and kick TT's butt, McCarthy, the Assistant coaches, the scheme, and, the players still left standing.

You know what? I like this team. I like the players. I like the coaches. Give them a couple of DB's that don't need seeing eye dogs and they are as good as anybody. Too bad half of 'em are sitting over there with beanies or hoodies watching.

It's not just having lost Aaron.

It's Mike's "low percentage philosophy." If Aaron is in there, defenses are gonna swing extra defenders deep. So what does he do? Attacks the deep zones.

With Tolzien in there, Ds stacked 8-9 in the box. So what does Mike do? Pounds Lacy into the pile and makes repatedly predictable 1-3 yard passes. Then we're all shocked when it fails and blame it on injuries. lol
Offline dhazer  
#40 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2013 4:49:05 PM(UTC)
dhazer

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2013Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2009PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2013

Applause Given: 49
Applause Received: 203

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
Replacing him would be foolish. He's a great talent evaluator. He just needs to pull a couple more triggers. Make a trade or two. Sign a good FA talent. Shore up some holes, quickly.

A closer look at his draft picks and UDFA signings shows quite a bit of talent that other teams would be envious of. The impact of Lacy, Bakhtiari, Hyde, Banjo from this year alone is pretty remarkable. Franklin still has time to make an impact, as does Tretter should he be cleared to play. Last year's Hayward pick was huge for us, and Perry, Worthy and Daniels look like they may pay big dividends. Cobb and House from 2011 were both good picks, Cobb a far better one.

Lots of whiffs in there too though… some proving left to do these next bunch of weeks. Maybe Sherrod comes in and does well.

Maybe we should be looking more at what our staff is doing with these players.

The part where you say he is a great talent evaluator is proven how? Because some of the guys are starting for us, doesn't exactly mean they would start on other teams. And as many draft picks he has every year is like me saying ok I have 17 shells in my gun and I should be able to hit you with one or 2 lol. Does that make me a marksman?

I just don't see all this talent everyone is claiming we have.

UserPostedImage

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be :)
texaspackerbacker on 11/25/2013(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#41 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2013 6:01:38 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

The part where you say he is a great talent evaluator is proven how? Because some of the guys are starting for us, doesn't exactly mean they would start on other teams. And as many draft picks he has every year is like me saying ok I have 17 shells in my gun and I should be able to hit you with one or 2 lol. Does that make me a marksman?

How many other teams would even be in the conversation after having lost 10+ starters? How good is the #5 tackle on most teams?

How good is the #4 QB on most teams?

Sure it'd be nice if our defenders knew who to cover on game day and stayed in their gaps, but that's a different subject.
Offline steveishere  
#42 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2013 6:27:10 PM(UTC)
steveishere

Ok well if hes not a very good talent evaluator that means theres a good number who are better so give us say 10 who are better.
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#43 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2013 6:31:09 PM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

United States

All I ask of Ted next year is to take a damn chance on a pretty good free agent. I know it's a broken record here, but it's time we do it for once.

Just try it for once. Hell if we aren't winning up to the standards, would it even hurt? Is it a money thing?

My argument on the matter is you can still have a good draft plus add key free agents.

Look at how much better the Bears got by adding Peppers, Marshall, those offensive lineman they picked up this year. It works.

Imagine our team with some of these key additions, it could put us over the top.. Even doing it next year we could be Super Bowl contenders

It's all fine and dandy that we've been great at drafting players for years. But it's catching up to us.

Is this the problem why we aren't winning? No. It just wouldn't hurt to try something new.
#44 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2013 6:43:24 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

United States

Things are tough all over. This has been an uncommonly bad year for injuries for a lot of teams.

It seems that not very many are coming around to an anti-TT point of view. That is especially ironic since several of the biggest complainers about our personnel during gametime chat are still defending him.

Does anybody seriously think we would not have won these four games with Aaron Rodgers at QB? I would contend, however, that our O-Line has been underperforming all along, our D has been sub-standard for several years - masked by outscoring teams, our RBs were awful until this season, etc.

It seems like Ted Thompson has failed miserably on first round picks. Say what you want about bad luck on injuries - which is true, but the "good luck" of having Aaron Rodgers fall that far more than makes up for the bad luck.

I don't let McCarthy off the hook either. His reputation, like TT's is completely tied to having Rodgers. and arguably he has not maximized that benefit. I wouldn't excuse Campen either, although I don't think any badness attributed to him makes much difference - it's about personnel. I would, however excuse Capers. His job/his strong point is compensation - finessing opponents with tricks because the personnel he has to work with is sub-standard. Some of you short-memory guys don't remember what was his name? Robert Sanders? and the D Coordinator who came before him - both as plain vanilla as you can get. If we did that now - no blitzing/no tricks/no outguessing - we would probably give up about 60 points a game.

If getting back Aaron Rodgers and going back to outscoring teams while our QB is perpetually running for his life due to poor line blocking, etc. is good enough, the let Ted Thompson just keep on keeping on. That probably is what will happen. I'm just saying we COULD BE a lot better than that if Ted Thompson had done his job better/built a better supporting cast.
Offline cheeseheads123  
#45 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2013 6:45:24 PM(UTC)
cheeseheads123

Applause Given: 72
Applause Received: 120

All I ask of Ted next year is to take a damn chance on a pretty good free agent. I know it's a broken record here, but it's time we do it for once.

Just try it for once. Hell if we aren't winning up to the standards, would it even hurt? Is it a money thing?

My argument on the matter is you can still have a good draft plus add key free agents.

Look at how much better the Bears got by adding Peppers, Marshall, those offensive lineman they picked up this year. It works.

Imagine our team with some of these key additions, it could put us over the top.. Even doing it next year we could be Super Bowl contenders

It's all fine and dandy that we've been great at drafting players for years. But it's catching up to us.

Is this the problem why we aren't winning? No. It just wouldn't hurt to try something new.

If the Packers keep Capers around next year i think Jarius Bryd would do wonders for the Packers
UserPostedImage
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#46 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2013 6:49:24 PM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

United States

Originally Posted by: cheeseheads123 Go to Quoted Post
If the Packers keep Capers around next year i think Jarius Bryd would do wonders for the Packers

I think we should move on from Capers. His defenses are so inconsistent. We just need a fresh mind, new players, on the defense. It's for the best. Capers just lost his edge...
play2win on 11/26/2013(UTC)
Offline steveishere  
#47 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2013 6:56:19 PM(UTC)
steveishere

Stop saying that drafting rodgers was just luck. Its not like he was considered some all time great prospect. Not to mention we already had a hall of fame qb and in his first draft instead of improving the team around him he gets his replacement. That move took some major stones that most 1st year gms probably wouldnt have had the courage to do. He took a LOT of shit for it too from what I remember. That was far from luck.
thanks Post received 4 applause.
nerdmann on 11/25/2013(UTC), Mucky Tundra on 11/25/2013(UTC), mi_keys on 11/26/2013(UTC), DoddPower on 11/26/2013(UTC)
#48 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2013 7:57:16 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

United States

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
Stop saying that drafting rodgers was just luck. Its not like he was considered some all time great prospect. Not to mention we already had a hall of fame qb and in his first draft instead of improving the team around him he gets his replacement. That move took some major stones that most 1st year gms probably wouldnt have had the courage to do. He took a LOT of sh!t for it too from what I remember. That was far from luck.

If you remember, he was 50/50 to be the top pick in the draft according to all the so-called experts. The LUCK was NOT in drafting him - I give Ted Thompson credit for that. The LUCK was in having the opportunity to draft him.

Offline play2win  
#49 Posted : Tuesday, November 26, 2013 8:09:25 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Your point is well taken dhazer. I did mention there were a lot of whiffs, and that it was dependent on a good number of players I listed turning the corner with what is left in the remainder of this season. If Sherrod doesn't contribute, if Perry stays on the sidelines, if Worthy doesn't make an impact, if Richardson does nothing special, if Cobb doesn't make it back, if Datone doesn't contribute, Palmer, Boyd, Tretter, McMillian, House, Neal, Burnett, Quarless, Newhouse, Starks… That's 4 years worth of picks and UDFA signings, and there is still opportunity for all of those players to either make something happen or tank.

Go deeper, the previous 4 years, and we've got Raji, Matthews, Lang, Brad Jones, Jordy Nelson, Sitton, Flynn, James Jones, Mason Crosby, Hawk, and Jolly. And then, the first year at the helm as GM of the Packers, we have Rodgers.

I think the jury is still out. Lots of proving to take place one way or another to realize whether Ted is really good, or nothing particularly special. Are we a good team or are we not? It is kind of hard to say right now. The real proving is about to take place to determine that.

We will see. Look at the team's draft success Rounds 1-3 over the past 3 years, and look who leads the way:
http://www.bloggingthebo...ss-in-first-three-rounds

Green Bay is ranked 3rd from last. Yet, how many teams in the Top 15 have won Super Bowls? ZERO! Teams in the bottom 15 have won the last 8 Super Bowls in a row.

Looking at the last 5 years, overall draft success brings us more to middle of the road, according to this FWIW:
http://bleacherreport.co...ir-draft-success/page/15

Bigger point in this is that "team building" is not necessarily all about players drafted, and their physical prominence or prowess. There are character issues, coaching philosophies and personalities that require a collective focus to win, from top to bottom in the organization. I would say this is a really good group of players, with pretty damn good character, making them a stronger team, maybe better than their raw talents. We will see how strong, and if they can get the job of "winning" done. Every GM has plenty of whiffs in the draft. That goes with the territory. Just because Ted usually winds up with a higher number of picks doesn't mean he is a complete shotgun selector. He has done his share of trades up to land the players he likes with the extra picks, enough to dispel that monicker. He does have a very hard draft and develop philosophy. Not much we as fans can do about that.

Right now, they don't look like a very good team overall. There is still time for them to turn that around. Players and coaches, led by Ted Thompson. BTW, if you hit with the one shell out of many, and get the job done, you've still gotten the job done. These are the days that build character. We'll see if it works or not.
Offline play2win  
#50 Posted : Tuesday, November 26, 2013 8:17:06 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

I think we should move on from Capers. His defenses are so inconsistent. We just need a fresh mind, new players, on the defense. It's for the best. Capers just lost his edge...

I'm thinking this is posing more of a problem for our team than we might be thinking. Granted, he has been trying the two previous seasons to do things without the right players, as the draft and develop process can prove to be a slow one. We have yet to replace Collins, Jenkins and Woodson, all three dynamic play makers on D.

I'll add player availability has been horrific. Strength and Conditioning has been as much of a problem for this team as has been Capers and what looks to be his lost edge.
Rss Feed