MintBaconDrivel
10 years ago

GREEN BAY — If you're among the villagers in cyberspace who are at the gates of Lambeau Field with virtual torches and pitchforks, calling for the head of Green Bay Packers defensive coordinator Dom Capers, coach Mike McCarthy didn't give you much hope Monday that you'll get your way and Capers or the defensive staff will be dismissed.

After watching his defense give up 447 yards to the Minnesota Vikings, including a season-high 232 rushing yards, McCarthy was asked if the Packers' defensive issues were scheme-related or the result of poor execution.

McCarthy's answer made it clear that he believed his players needed to do their jobs better. While some may argue that McCarthy wasn't about to throw Capers or any of the defensive coaches under the bus, he easily could have framed his answer in a way that would have shown that he feels the staff is as culpable or more culpable for the problems — due to scheme or calls — than the players. But McCarthy did nothing of the sort.

The run defense has been the team's biggest problem of late, as Green Bay has given up a whopping 514 yards rushing over the past three games. Those struggles have dropped them from ranking third against the run earlier this year to 19th (115.5 yards per game) now.

"I watched (the film) this morning with the defensive staff. We went through every call," McCarthy said. "It's a very talented, organized defensive staff. I really like the teaching ability, the demand and their personality.

"That's what we're talking about, preparation and execution. We need to play better. When you're an eight-man front football, you need to stop (the run). They had over 200 yards. We had a chance to address all of that, go through hat this morning, go over it with the team at the team meeting. We're really about the Lions right now.

"I'm very comfortable in our coaching staff. I think it's definitely one of the strengths of our program."

Entering Monday night's action, the Packers defense had plummeted to No. 20 in yards allowed per game (359.6) and tied for No. 18 in points allowed per game (24.1). They are tied for the NFL lead in sacks with 37.

"That's why they're season stats," McCarthy said. "We're in a valley right now; we need to get out of it in some aspects of our team. Going through the grades, going through every call, every assignment, it really comes down to leverage, fits and tackling and tenacity of the finish of the play was a little up and down.

"Time and time again, we had excellent leverage but then we don't complete the play. They had two excellent runners (in Adrian Peterson and Toby Gerhart) that extended runs. That's the part you've got to win. When you create leverage and fit in run defense, that's where the play starts, that's not where it ends. We just didn't do a very good job finishing once the leverage and the fit (were) established. You can go all the way through it, double teams and this and that, but it really came down to execution."

Jason Wilde  wrote:

Dulak
10 years ago
2 things ...

1. One of the reason why our defense has a lot of numbers to them - points and yards - is because they are on the field too much and our offense is not.

2. Kevin Greene - he is the best LB coach a team could ever want. He has more fire then all our LBers combined (including CM3). That guy really tries to fire up the LB core and I wonder if its starting to sink into hawk this year because Ive never seen him play this well.

hope we never give up greene
hardrocker950
10 years ago

2 things ...

1. One of the reason why our defense has a lot of numbers to them - points and yards - is because they are on the field too much and our offense is not.

2. Kevin Greene - he is the best LB coach a team could ever want. He has more fire then all our LBers combined (including CM3). That guy really tries to fire up the LB core and I wonder if its starting to sink into hawk this year because Ive never seen him play this well.

Originally Posted by: Dulak 

Agree with both points. Kevin Greene is awesome, decent productivity with a revolving group of guys. If Capers doesn't return next season, I would hope he gets consideration for DC.

Most problems have been in coverage, but there have been issues up front stopping the run lately. These issues don't help going into a game against Detroit. Johnson is very hard to cover, and Bush is a very gifted back. If they play very physical on D - they have a much better chance at a win. I hope to see them challenging receivers off the snap to keep Johnson from streaking down the field wide open.

Remember guys - the season is on the line!
steveishere
10 years ago

2 things ...

Our offense this year is 2nd in yards/drive, 6th in points/drive, 13th in turnovers/drive, 5th in plays/drive, and 5th in TOP/drive

Our defense is 24th in yards/drive, 26th in points/drive, 27th in turnovers/drive, 26th in plays/drive, and 23rd in TOP/ drive. They've only been on the field for 106 total drives which is less than all but 3 other teams.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestatsdef2013 

The defense is bad because they simply don't stop people. If the offense has had any effect on that it's minimal at best. Tired of hearing that as an excuse. These last few games with our back up QBs haven't been good as far as capitalizing on scoring opportunities but we've still been able to move the football and get first downs/yards.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

2 things ...

sorry this is not correct. The offense is out there 31:17 per game and the defense 30:05. (Overtime makes it more than 60 min.) The defense rotates players on the line, the linebackers and the secondary all the time. Nearly every play. The offense not so much. Backs and a few of the receivers rotate.

The defense has to makes tops and get off the field more often than what they do.

UserPostedImage
mi_keys
10 years ago

sorry this is not correct. The offense is out there 31:17 per game and the defense 30:05. (Overtime makes it more than 60 min.) The defense rotates players on the line, the linebackers and the secondary all the time. Nearly every play. The offense not so much. Backs and a few of the receivers rotate.

The defense has to makes tops and get off the field more often than what they do.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

This. I'm tired of this excuse. Not just for the Packers but in general (though it has been particularly awful amongst certain Packer fans the last few years). If you want a break, stop the other team on third down. Otherwise, shut the fuck up.
Born and bred a cheesehead
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

This. I'm tired of this excuse. Not just for the Packers but in general (though it has been particularly awful amongst certain Packer fans the last few years). If you want a break, stop the other team on third down. Otherwise, shut the f*ck up.

Originally Posted by: mi_keys 

I failed to mention that the GB defense is 54 for 150 on 3rd down. That is 36%. It is a little above average. But then on 4th down they fail. They gave up 8 1st downs in 14 tries for a 57%. Only Minny, Dallas and Washington have given up more first downs on 4th down. GB's average for 3rd and 4th down combined is an unacceptable 41.3%. You can't win games by letting the other team extend drives and consistently move down the field.

Add to all of this that GB defense is called for penalties more than the average. And the penalties are not simply off sides or other 5 yard penalties. They are 10th in total yards on penalties allowed.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
10 years ago
Packers are tied for first in Sacks with 37.
UserPostedImage
play2win
10 years ago

Packers are tied for first in Sacks with 37.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

That is a clear indicator that the rest of the defensive backfield is in disarray, when you take into consideration how poorly we perform overall. Especially when you see we are at the bottom of the NFL in forcing TOs. We are getting to the QB, but it doesn't seem to matter when we get gashed by the run, and our secondary gives up the huge plays. House dropped two sure INTs last Sunday. MD Jennings can't seem to make a play on the ball. Meanwhile, Burnett is regressing having to compensate for the poor play around him, and, maybe he is just slipping in terms of effectiveness.

Maybe Richardson provides us with some relief back there… that is my hope. That, and some better play from all of our LBs. Time to crank up a pick fest here, or we are done.

McCarthy talks about execution… and I'm transported back to the 1970s...
"Coach, what do you think of your team's execution today?" "I'm all for it!" - John McKay
GermanGilbert
10 years ago

Originally Posted by: wpr 

But that's also just half of the story. If you consider only the 4 games since Aaron went down the Offense was on the field 30:07 while the Defense was on the field 33:38. I still think that this change in TOP had an influence on the let down on Defense since #12 broke his collarbone. They played pretty OK before and now they look ugly as hell.
blank
Fan Shout
dfosterf (7h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (7h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (9h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (11h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (11h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (14h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (15h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Around The NFL / beast

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.