play2win
10 years ago

"Woodson was also in the prime of his career with all kinds of room to grow. We reaped incredible benefits from both signings. Both Saturday and Benson were has-beens, both at the end of their careers, and we saw what that kind of bargain hunting did for us" \

Whether or not you used the word "obvious" is irrelevant, you implied that Woodson, Saturday, and Benson were all clear moves even without the aid of hindsight.

How did Cullen Jenkins, Justin Babin, and Greg Jennings work out for their respective teams? Yes Avril and Bennett worked, but you can paint any picture you want if you cherry pick the success stories and disregard the ones that didn't work.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

Don't even talk to me about Cullen Jenkins!!! 😆 Really, that always was a sore spot with me. If Ted ever needed to re-sign one of his own guys, it was him. If we had his numbers from his first two seasons in PHI, we might have gone onto win back to back SBs… That was a gaping hole on our DL that we have yet to fill to this day.

I never implied such a thing musccy, as you stated here. Simply, that the Pickett and Woodson signings really helped our team to be as successful as it had been, and we won a SB as a result.
musccy
10 years ago

Don't even talk to me about Cullen Jenkins!!! 😆 Really, that always was a sore spot with me. If Ted ever needed to re-sign one of his own guys, it was him. If we had his numbers from his first two seasons in PHI, we might have gone onto win back to back SBs… That was a gaping hole on our DL that we have yet to fill to this day.

I never implied such a thing musccy, as you stated here. Simply, that the Pickett and Woodson signings really helped our team to be as successful as it had been, and we won a SB as a result.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

No doubt the team missed Cullen after he left, but he has quickly declined also. We could have used him that first year, so he may not be the best example, but my basic point(s) are what Zero said.

FAs are a two way street, not a draft pick. Just because they didn't sign with GB doesn't mean there was no attempt made, and furthermore, for every Cliff Avril and Ryan Pickett, there's an Albert Haynesworth and Joe Johnson. It's easy to look back and see how those moves worked out, but Pickett and Woodson very easily could have tanked as well. The team was fortunate that they both blossomed here in GB.

Zero2Cool
10 years ago
Steven Jackson wanted to go to one and only place, Atlanta. Packers had no chance. I think it's important people understand that fact before blasting the Packers.
UserPostedImage
steveishere
10 years ago

So, a "Franchise Player" is not an elite player? 4-Time pro Bowler? He fought through 3 injury plagued seasons at the end of his tenure in OAK, while helping them reach the SB, and they still franchised him…

I don't think it is unreasonable to expect that a player "might" realize career highs after you sign him, like we saw with Woodson, like SEA is seeing with Chris Clemons… our team won't know though if we don't even make the attempt. We'll just continue to be one of the youngest teams in the NFL, and hope that maybe, maybe we catch lightning in a bottle, I'm not going to say "again," but without FA signings like Pickett and Woodson.

No he wasn't considered an elite player in his FA year. If he was more than 2 teams would have been interested in him at that price tag GB got him for. It's unreasonable to expect to get a FA that will become a hall of famer. I've no problem with people wanting FAs just with people using Woodson as an example of what you can expect in FA.
play2win
10 years ago

No doubt the team missed Cullen after he left, but he has quickly declined also. We could have used him that first year, so he may not be the best example, but my basic point(s) are what Zero said.

FAs are a two way street, not a draft pick. Just because they didn't sign with GB doesn't mean there was no attempt made, and furthermore, for every Cliff Avril and Ryan Pickett, there's an Albert Haynesworth and Joe Johnson. It's easy to look back and see how those moves worked out, but Pickett and Woodson very easily could have tanked as well. The team was fortunate that they both blossomed here in GB.

Yeah, thanks musccy and QCHuskerFan… I agree with both of you on these points. There are no guarantees, and the signings and trades are difficult to vet and close. Those processes (finding the player, finding the trading partner, adjusting money under the cap, closing the deals, etc.) are tough to pull off, for any GM. Especially, to do so successfully. That is why there are so few trades made, but trades are made.

I just wish we could pull off a couple of good ones, trades or signings that would help improve one or two positions on our team. It would mean all the difference, having a super solid Safety group, or a set of stud ILBs, bookend OTs that are pretty much shut down players to protect Rodgers, etc.

I believe Ted drafts pretty well, and if he applied the same passion for searching out key veteran FAs or trades, and massaged his cap accordingly, maybe we might get another SB win or two while Aaron is still our QB. I question whether that can really happen by drafting alone. That's pretty much it in a nutshell. For me, as a fan, I would prefer he took a few more risks and had a more balanced approach to talent acquisition.
play2win
10 years ago

No he wasn't considered an elite player in his FA year. If he was more than 2 teams would have been interested in him at that price tag GB got him for. It's unreasonable to expect to get a FA that will become a hall of famer. I've no problem with people wanting FAs just with people using Woodson as an example of what you can expect in FA.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

steve, for God's sakes, no one is saying "we have to sign only prospective HOF Free Agents." Why NOT use Woodson as an example of what a FA can do for your team? IT HAPPENED!!! He was a player brought in as a FA that really worked out well for us, and so was Pickett. What? We can't point to those examples in a discussion? They were too good?
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

"Woodson was also in the prime of his career with all kinds of room to grow. We reaped incredible benefits from both signings. Both Saturday and Benson were has-beens, both at the end of their careers, and we saw what that kind of bargain hunting did for us" \

Whether or not you used the word "obvious" is irrelevant, you implied that Woodson, Saturday, and Benson were all clear moves even without the aid of hindsight.

How did Cullen Jenkins, Justin Babin, and Greg Jennings work out for their respective teams? Yes Avril and Bennett worked, but you can paint any picture you want if you cherry pick the success stories and disregard the ones that didn't work.

and no one is cherry picking the failed FA signings to make their point?
After seeing the same players named time and time again p2w is simply giving you names of FA success stories. I believe it was Zero, among others, who yesterday was asking who the successful FAs were.
UserPostedImage
steveishere
10 years ago

steve, for God's sakes, no one is saying "we have to sign only prospective HOF Free Agents." Why NOT use Woodson as an example of what a FA can do for your team? IT HAPPENED!!! He was a player brought in as a FA that really worked out well for us, and so was Pickett. What? We can't point to those examples in a discussion? They were too good?

I never suggested that people were saying "we have to sign only prospective HOF Free Agents." In fact I specifically said I have no problem with people wanting to sign regular FAs (you ignored that I guess because you were too busy wanting to put words in my mouth as usual). A player with Woodsons quality and price tag is a once in a lifetime deal. You have a problem with people using players like Albert Haynesworth as the anti-FA argument because that doesn't always happen right? Well that is way more common of an occurance than getting a player like Woodson.

Now go off on some rant about how I said something crazy that I didn't actually say like you always do.
play2win
10 years ago

I never suggested that people were saying "we have to sign only prospective HOF Free Agents." In fact I specifically said I have no problem with people wanting to sign regular FAs (you ignored that I guess because you were too busy wanting to put words in my mouth as usual). A player with Woodsons quality and price tag is a once in a lifetime deal. You have a problem with people using players like Albert Haynesworth as the anti-FA argument because that doesn't always happen right? Well that is way more common of an occurance than getting a player like Woodson.

Now go off on some rant about how I said something crazy that I didn't actually say like you always do.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

Dude, give it a rest.

"It's unreasonable to expect to get a FA that will become a hall of famer." Who said that? You did. No one said they were expecting that. So, get off it.
steveishere
10 years ago

Dude, give it a rest.

Well don't respond to me if you cannot simply reply to something I actually said or aren't going to add anything useful. If you have to use extreme exaggeration or hyperbole to try and make a point don't bother.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (1h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (2h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (12h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (19h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (20h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (20h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.