nerdmann
10 years ago

I guess you didn't understand the article. Stating GB drafted 2 QB back in 2008 is the same as drafting 1 every year or nearly every year is the same. It isn't.
It wasn't so much that he cut it off to slant the story it was to illustrate he hasn't done anything recently.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

People bitch when Ted "only uses the draft."

Then he brings in some free agents, and they bitch that he "didn't draft anybody."

Bitch bitch bitch.

Fact is, the defense has quit on the team.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
10 years ago

- my comments are general comments and just piggy packing on your post Steve -

I do agree with the backup comment - but dont know whom is at fault - in previous posts it is suggested Mike McCarthy is more at fault preseason which IMO was a total flub-up.

preseason was just a bunch of dudes who wernt any good throwing the football around. I thought young might do a little better with time but then we hured some short dude 5'10 to play NFL QB with our pass first team.

bleh - it doesnt take a rocket scientist to realize that - that experiment wouldnt work -

so who knows maybe tolzien will turn into a decent QB someday - but we stuck him front and center and he threw 5 INTs ... he did. Flynn was the only guy I had any sort of confidence in but even this was minor because there was no time to practice.

If we are blaming the loss and the QB play on flynn alone - that is crazy. IMO flynn is at best a ok backup; but I havnt seen him play since he was last here; our Oline got decimated during that game; lacey had no game.

anyways ...

I do agree that our QB situation was one of the main reasons we lost - I was cringing all preseason when Mike McCarthy was 'trying to keep' harrel when he just sucked so bad and he did last year also. Reminded me of brohm - I mean whats the deal with I guess its Mike McCarthy and these lame QBs? ...

Originally Posted by: Dulak 

Yeah, Tolzien threw INTs. Without having taken any reps in practice, with Mike making him run/throw predictable 1 yard passes into a stacked 9-man box.

Oh yeah, and let's not forget the defense decided to concede victory.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
TheKanataThrilla
10 years ago

I guess you didn't understand the article. Stating GB drafted 2 QB back in 2008 is the same as drafting 1 every year or nearly every year is the same. It isn't.
It wasn't so much that he cut it off to slant the story it was to illustrate he hasn't done anything recently.

I did not say that drafting 2 QBs in 2008 was the same as drafting 1 every year. The fact is Ted had a guy he liked as a back-up 2008 a year he drafted 2 guys. The fact that the cut-off for the story is a year after he drafted 2 QBs to me suggests he is purposely ignoring it. Why not just say how many QBs he drafted in his whole tenure the same way he did with Wolf? I am not sure what we are trying to prove with drafting a QB every year anyway. We only won 1 SuperBowl with this approach.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

I did not say that drafting 2 QBs in 2008 was the same as drafting 1 every year. The fact is Ted had a guy he liked as a back-up 2008 a year he drafted 2 guys. The fact that the cut-off for the story is a year after he drafted 2 QBs to me suggests he is purposely ignoring it. Why not just say how many QBs he drafted in his whole tenure the same way he did with Wolf? I am not sure what we are trying to prove with drafting a QB every year anyway. We only won 1 SuperBowl with this approach.

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla 

I didn't write the story. I don't know what he slant is. Ted did begin his tenor by drafting qbs. 4 in the first 4 years. Then quit. Only 1 in the next 5 years. I think the author was pointing out that he changed his philosophy. He should have mentioned the earlier years but his focus was on the more recent drafts and how that was different than Wolf. I think he should also have said the rules in the NFL have changed as well. Then again I don't know how much space he is allowed for the story. He could have said a lot of other things but probably didn't have time or space to do so.

Someone may say that there was no need to draft a qb when Rodgers is the qb for the team. I think his comparison was to say Wolf had Favre and he still drafted 7 qb in 9 years. Until 1999 (Aaron Brooks R4) he never drafted anyone higher than the 5th round yet ended up with a few decent (serviceable) qbs in Detmer, Brunell and Hasselbeck.

Personally I liked Ted having the flexibility to draft other positions than qb but he still can't neglect the position indefinitely. I have talked about FAs. I prefer the qb to come from the draft. Pick up one qb and keep him on the PS for 2-3 years before he gets bumped up to #2. Then stick someone else on the PS to develop. Unless Aaron goes down in the first year of the growth process someone will be on the team to back him up that has a 3-4 years in the system before he moves on like Flynn did.
UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
10 years ago

I only agree with this to an extent. The front office sent the previous backups on their way, and brought new guys in with limited time to prepare and learn.

With that said, I don't think Tolzien and Flynn are as bad as many think. Their lack of success also falls on the offensive line. The defense has not done them many favors either. Aside from the turnovers in Detroit, they have been giving up too many plays.

Remember that football is a team sport. You cannot simply blame one individual for a loss.

Originally Posted by: hardrocker950 

WHAT????? Where did you ever get that idea from?

Obviously, you haven't been reading packershome GM geniuses posts for long!!!

Watch after EVERY loss or win for that matter, certain individuals will be pointed out and blamed for the loss, or blamed for the game being closer than it should have been, or get blamed for a game that happened 5 years ago, or get blamed for a future game, now, because our online geniuses CAN SEE INTO THE FUTURE!!!!!

Now Get With The Program!!!!!!!!

[grin1]
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

WHAT????? Where did you ever get that idea from?

Obviously, you haven't been reading packershome GM geniuses posts for long!!!

Watch after EVERY loss or win for that matter, certain individuals will be pointed out and blamed for the loss, or blamed for the game being closer than it should have been, or get blamed for a game that happened 5 years ago, or get blamed for a future game, now, because our online geniuses CAN SEE INTO THE FUTURE!!!!!

Now Get With The Program!!!!!!!!

[grin1]

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

I guess it is forbidden to express an opinion or to wish for the team to make any changes whatsoever without being criticized. I doubt any one on this site feels that they are able to become the GM of the Packers organization. Well except nermann.
Maaaaaaay as well beeeeee sheeeep and foooooollow bbbbblindly along with noooooo oooopiniooooon of ooooooour oooooown.
UserPostedImage
steveishere
10 years ago

I guess it is forbidden to express an opinion or to wish for the team to make any changes whatsoever without being criticized. I doubt any one on this site feels that they are able to become the GM of the Packers organization. Well except nermann.
Maaaaaaay as well beeeeee sheeeep and foooooollow bbbbblindly along with noooooo oooopiniooooon of ooooooour oooooown.

I read that in a ghost voice.
Cheesey
10 years ago
Where were all the "Teddy haters" when the
Packers won SB 45?
Why were there NOT dozens if articles on
how hard he worked in a day and age when
it's very difficult to win a championship?

Yet Aaron Rodgers going down with an injury, and MANY
other Packer players going down with injuries, and
we have all this desire to condemn Ted
and throw him under the bus. Or MM, or
you make the choice.
We have become so used to winning every
year that the first sign of a bad year, and we
have mass panic.
Most NFL fans WISH they had the last 20
plus years we have had.
Me, I remember the 1970's and 1980's which
we were over joyed at a regular season win.

When we got to the playoffs for the first time
in seemingly forever in the 1990's, us Packer
fans were thrilled!
We are spoiled with the success the Pack
has had.
That's my opinion at least.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

Where were all the "Teddy haters" when the
Packers won SB 45?
Why were there NOT dozens if articles on
how hard he worked in a day and age when
it's very difficult to win a championship?

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

Ted had FAs on that team didn't he?

Yet Aaron Rodgers going down with an injury, and MANY
other Packer players going down with injuries, and
we have all this desire to condemn Ted
and throw him under the bus. Or MM, or
you make the choice.

Not throwing under the bus. Holding them accountable for poor decisions. (Both have admitted to making mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes. We are simply talking about it.) We have the right to do so and to express our opinions on a public forum without be blasted as being disloyal.

We have become so used to winning every
year that the first sign of a bad year, and we
have mass panic.

no panic. discussion. "What can be/could have been done to have a better team"?

Most NFL fans WISH they had the last 20
plus years we have had.

they sure do. We are glad of what we have had and don't want to go back to the 70's.

Me, I remember the 1970's and 1980's which
we were over joyed at a regular season win.

me too. Don't want to go back. What needs to be done to avoid this season in the future. We have opinions as to what that is. Everyone of us.

When we got to the playoffs for the first time
in seemingly forever in the 1990's, us Packer
fans were thrilled!
We are spoiled with the success the Pack
has had.

maybe so. I don;t see any sort of feeling of entitlement here. Simply expressing an opinion as to what could have been done. What needs to be done in the future.

That's my opinion at least.

yep you do too.

UserPostedImage
Cheesey
10 years ago
I never said no one should give their
opinions. Everyone should be held accountable
in their jobs.
But look around the NFL. Are the Packers the only
team that has weaknesses?
No GM or coach is perfect. The Packers
have been better then most NFL teams in
the NFL for more then 20 years. We can count
the number of bad years on our fingers, and
have fingers left over.
Yet no team is perfect. No draft pick is a
sure thing. No one is right 100% of the time.

Ted and McCarthy have, all will make more
mistakes. I know they will try to correct them.

I bet that if Aaron Rodgers wouldn't have got hurt the Packers
would be in 1st place in the division and
all this hand wringing wouldn't be going
on right now.
If this is a one year glitch, then it's not a
deal breaker. If they stink next year then
it might be time to clean house.
If you disagree with me, you have every
right to. It's all just opinions.
I might be totally wrong.
I only base my opinions on what I think.
It would be a boring world if we all agreed all
the time!
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (16h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (16h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (17h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (19h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (20h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (23h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Around The NFL / Zero2Cool

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.