sschind
10 years ago
If a super bowl win is the only acceptable outcome for a successful season a lot of fans of a lot of teams are disappointed year after year.

I see the quote "failure is not an option" used to motivate all the time and you know what, that is pure BS. There is only one thing we can require from anyone including ourselves and that is to try our best. I know that sounds trite but the fact is no one can do better than their best. If you try your best and you fail there is nothing to be ashamed of.

Failure is an option...Quitting is not.
DoddPower
10 years ago

If a super bowl win is the only acceptable outcome for a successful season a lot of fans of a lot of teams are disappointed year after year.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

Well, yeah, I usually am disappointed every year the Packers don't win the Super Bowl. It's the point of playing the game. A season can still be considered a success if quantifiable growth was shown throughout the season, and the team is playing their best football late in the season and in the playoffs. In the Packers case recently, this has not been the case at all, and yes, that is very disappointing. Two years, and possibly three in a row.

I cherish the 2010 season for everything it is/was worth. But some things need to get fixed to get back to that point. The thing that makes it most frustrating is it's completely reasonable to do so. The Packers have some glaring needs, but they're reasonable and would not take much, imo. I see a team that isn't far from potentially winning another Super Bowl, but is failing to do so due to a few weak areas of the team. Do whatever it takes to address those, and open the window back up!

nerdmann
10 years ago

Well, yeah, I usually am disappointed every year the Packers don't win the Super Bowl. It's the point of playing the game. A season can still be considered a success if quantifiable growth was shown throughout the season, and the team is playing their best football late in the season and in the playoffs. In the Packers case recently, this has not been the case at all, and yes, that is very disappointing. Two years, and possibly three in a row.

I cherish the 2010 season for everything it is/was worth. But some things need to get fixed to get back to that point. The thing that makes it most frustrating is it's completely reasonable to do so. The Packers have some glaring needs, but they're reasonable and would not take much, imo. I see a team that isn't far from potentially winning another Super Bowl, but is failing to do so due to a few weak areas of the team. Do whatever it takes to address those, and open the window back up!

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

If we went into the play offs, PLAYED WELL, and got beat, it wouldn't be that bad.

Instead, we get humiliated. It's not the same.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
DoddPower
10 years ago

I appreciate division championships for one main reason. It gets you into the dance. So, yes, when I see a fan say a division championship means nothing, I feel they are spoiled because for me it comes off as if they feel the Packers have to be 10 - 2 on a roll with four games go to be in the playoffs and have a chance. If that's not happening, then just TANK it for a "higher draft pick". I say fuck that. Get the best QB in the game into the playoffs and lets see where the chips fall.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I certainly never said that a division championship means "nothing." Perhaps someone else did, I don't remember. I did say, however, that winning a division and getting completely embarrassed in the divisional round year after year doesn't make me feel very good about the season. The 15-1 season was fantastic. But the embarrassment at the end tainted it for me. Aaron Rodgers (and the wide receivers and Lacy) is/are good enough with a less-than-average team to get the Packers to the playoffs. But other aspects need to step up their game, especially the defense. At this point, I'm just not seeing enough solid play to do much of anything in the playoffs, which are a long shot to make in the first place. I realize I have high expectations, but that's what having the best player at the most important position in the game does to me. Aaron Rodgers certainly needs more help, though.

sschind
10 years ago

What I meant to say was that fans of every team except one is disappointed every year. Obviously not winning the SB is disappointing in that this is the goal of every team but not reaching an unrealistic goal is not always the end of the world. It seems that Super Bowl or 1-15 and the #1 draft pick are 1 & 2 as far as some fans are concerned because if you don't win the Super Bowl nothing else matters but getting the highest pick possible.

Zero2Cool
10 years ago

I certainly never said that a division championship means "nothing." Perhaps someone else did, I don't remember.

I did say, however, that winning a division and getting completely embarrassed in the divisional round year after year doesn't make me feel very good about the season. The 15-1 season was fantastic. But the embarrassment at the end tainted it for me. Aaron Rodgers (and the wide receivers and Lacy) is/are good enough with a less-than-average team to get the Packers to the playoffs. But other aspects need to step up their game, especially the defense. At this point, I'm just not seeing enough solid play to do much of anything in the playoffs, which are a long shot to make in the first place. I realize I have high expectations, but that's what having the best player at the most important position in the game does to me. Aaron Rodgers certainly needs more help, though.

And I certainly never said you did say division championships mean nothing. So ... ???

And no one said you should feel good about winning division championships AND losing in the divisional round. So ... ???

You don't have confidence in what you're seeing that the Packers can make a run in the playoffs. No issue with that, I get that.

I, however, would prefer them to be in the playoffs and play the games before I count them out. Any. Given. Sunday.

And winning the division championship gives them that opportunity while giving them a home playoff game. I hope for the best, expect the worst. Rather than believe the worst and hope for nothing.

What is so complicated about that point? I know I fail with my words at times, but holy crap am I doing THAT bad here???
UserPostedImage
DoddPower
10 years ago

And I certainly never said you did say division championships mean nothing. So ... ???

And no one said you should feel good about winning division championships AND losing in the divisional round. So ... ???

You don't have confidence in what you're seeing that the Packers can make a run in the playoffs. No issue with that, I get that.

I, however, would prefer them to be in the playoffs and play the games before I count them out. Any. Given. Sunday.

And winning the division championship gives them that opportunity while giving them a home playoff game. I hope for the best, expect the worst. Rather than believe the worst and hope for nothing.

What is so complicated about that point? I know I fail with my words at times, but holy crap am I doing THAT bad here???

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I was never arguing against winning the division, so I don't really have much of a response to this post.
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

I think you are missing the point. From my perspective, the Packers may not EVER have a QB as good as Aaron Rodgers again. Packer fans are truly lucky, and most of us realize that. There is no "spoiled fan" syndrome. It has everything to do with having the best player in the NFL, and as a result, the expectation of at LEAST going deep into the playoffs is very realistic. Winning the division is great, but doing so and then getting UTTERLY embarrassed in the playoffs is a complete other. If the Packers won the division and put up a good fight in the playoffs, and still lose, than that's not so hard to swallow. But getting embarrassed two years a row in the playoffs isn't a symbol of success, in my mind. Everything is relative. If the current Packers were the Jacksonville Jaguars, sure, that could be viewed as a success. The reality is, they are NOT, and the metrics of success are different for the teams. There's simply and absolutely NO reason this team should get embarrassed in the divisional round of the playoffs, yet that has happened twice in a row, and who knows when it will end. If a fan thinks that's unacceptable and you think that makes them a "spoiled fan who doesn't appreciate the accomplishment," so be it, but I think it's the exact opposite. I think many of the fans of that perspective realize what the Packers currently have in Aaron Rodgers and a few other core players, and want to take full advantage of that talent while it's available, because who knows when it will happen again (if ever). A culture of acceptance of mediocrity usually perpetuates mediocrity.

It has nothing to do with being "spoiled." It has everything to do with wanting to maximize a once in a generation player at the most important position in the game. The Packers can relish in the victory of divisions championships if and when they have an average or worse starting QB. So long as the Packers can field an average defense or better, and a good special teams unit, there's no reason they shouldn't be seriously competing for a Super Bowl every season. Maximize the team and player window while it's available, because who knows when it will come around again. For that not to be happening the past couple of seasons and instead, embarrassments in the playoffs, is incredibly disappointing because the championship window could be passing.

Yet hardly anybody wants to blame Ted Thompson for the mediocrity of the supporting cast. sheesh!

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
DakotaT
  • DakotaT
  • Select Member Topic Starter
10 years ago

Yet hardly anybody wants to blame Ted Thompson for the mediocrity of the supporting cast. sheesh!

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

Uncle Ted gets a wide wake around here, the cupboards were bare when he arrived thanks to Sherman.
UserPostedImage
DoddPower
10 years ago

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

I've seen lots of posters here place blame on Ted Thompson, especially for the offensive line, running back, and the pass rush. But in my opinion, injuries and coaching are more to blame. I see a lot of talent on this team, but I don't think the coaches are maximizing it, for whatever reason. Especially on defense. I could easily be wrong, but I think there are coaches out there that could have led a better defense over the past few years than Dom Capers has.