texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

Some injuries can be played with, some cannot. A collarbone is one that cannot be, not today, not 20 years ago. It only takes 7 lbs of pressure to break a completely healthy collarbone. If the bone is not completely healed, it only takes a fraction of that to re-break it. Any fall on that shoulder would be likely to re-break it, and have the break be even more severe.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

Then I guess he better not fall on that shoulder.

If it's 90% healed, then it takes 6.3 pounds of pressure, right? It took him how many years as a starter and how many hits for one of them to be 7 pounds, causing the break? I believe this is his 5th season as a starter. Lets say he takes about 4 hits a game - maybe 300 in his career - is that a fair assumption? So if the collarbone is 90% healed, then it can be assumed it would take around 4 years and 270 or so hits before it gets rebroke. Even the Packer O-Line that Ted Thompson has given us isn't that bad.

Isn't math fun? You can support so many ideas with it.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
PackFanWithTwins
10 years ago

Then I guess he better not fall on that shoulder.

If it's 90% healed, then it takes 6.3 pounds of pressure, right? It took him how many years as a starter and how many hits for one of them to be 7 pounds, causing the break? I believe this is his 5th season as a starter. Lets say he takes about 4 hits a game - maybe 300 in his career - is that a fair assumption? So if the collarbone is 90% healed, then it can be assumed it would take around 4 years and 270 or so hits before it gets rebroke. Even the Packer O-Line that Ted Thompson has given us isn't that bad.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

Would be nice if it worked that way, but unfortunately it doesn't. 90% healed does not mean it has 90% of the previous strength. For him to break the bone, he had to land right. While it is healing and not yet 100%, the impact it would take to re-break is greatly reduced. Any landing on that shoulder would likely re-brake it. And being a QB, he has conditioned himself to land on his non throwing shoulder to protect his throwing arm.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
DakotaT
10 years ago

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

Kind of like saying you're a Christian and a Conservative, so you believe you have this moral high ground and say any off the wall bigoted shit you can dream up, and think you can get away with it.

Back on Topic - rub some dirt on the fuckr Rodgers and get your ass in there. We're all spoiled ass Packers and you owe us. [grin1]
UserPostedImage
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

Kind of like saying you're a Christian and a Conservative, so you believe you have this moral high ground and say any off the wall bigoted shit you can dream up, and think you can get away with it.

Back on Topic - rub some dirt on the fuckr Rodgers and get your ass in there. We're all spoiled ass Packers and you owe us. [grin1]

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

It's downright ironic sometimes how much truth there is in sarcasm.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
10 years ago
I think I'm probably alone on this. But I wish the Packers would have IRed Rodgers a few weeks ago and been done with it. As it is, the pressure to bring Rodgers back gets bigger every week, and that means the pressure to "bring him back even if he's not ready" gets even bigger.

When a normal person breaks a bone, does the doctor even suggest checking every week to "see if its healed"? No, the doctor has you come in every few weeks to "see how well it is healing." The difference in verb tense is important here.

Those with more medical knowledge can speak to this, but it seems to me that if the bone breaks again before it has completely healed, not only can the second bone break be worse than the first, but the ancillary damage (to muscles, nerves, blood vessels in the area) could probably be worse, too.

If the Packers miss out on Super Bowl this year because they don't have Rodgers at the helm, that's sad in the short run. But the reaiity is that for too big of a chunk of this year they haven't played at the level of a team that deserves to be competing for a championship. Right now, or at least when the current break heals, Rodgers has the ability and physical tools to lead this team in competition for multiple Super Bowls yet. It makes little sense to me to endanger that future on behalf of a team that has shown itself capable of multiple games of mediocrity.

I'm old enough to remember that the injuries that made Starr hang up the cleats were shoulder injuries. I'm old enough to remember that the injuries that ended Don Majkowski's career were shoulder injuries. And while I realize that those were throwing shoulder injuries not a collarbone injury, the fact of the matter is that throwing a ball as effectively as a healthy Rodgers does is a function of an amazing collaboration between dozens of bones, muscles, nerves, etc., many of which are potentially affected by a bad collarbone injury.

Don't endanger the long-term potential of the franchise just to give a bigger shot to a too-often-mediocre team. IMO.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
nerdmann
10 years ago

I think I'm probably alone on this. But I wish the Packers would have IRed Rodgers a few weeks ago and been done with it. As it is, the pressure to bring Rodgers back gets bigger every week, and that means the pressure to "bring him back even if he's not ready" gets even bigger.

Originally Posted by: Wade 

Imo, the reason this pressure is mounting like that, is because we were initially led to believe this was a minor fracture, and he would be back in 4-6 weeks, possibly 3 weeks.

If they would have been honest and forthright about the injury from the beginning, none of this would be a problem.

However I also do not believe the QB position is what is costing this team. It's the run D.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
sschind
10 years ago

IMO.

Originally Posted by: Wade 

If they KNEW he wasn't going to be ready then yeah, I would agree with you. However, I have seen nothing that would indicate they didn't think he would be able to return

I guess that is why Terry Boers and Dan Bernstein were so up in arms after the last Derrick Rose press conference where he said he might be able to be back for the playoffs when the team had already said he was out for the year. They knoew the media circus that would follow with the constant "is he ready yet" questions the media would be pounding him and the team with. Except that in this case no one, at least no one who mattered, had said Rodgers would be out for the year.

I just read Jason Wilde's article on ESPNWISCONSIN.com

http://www.espnwisconsin.com/common/page.php?feed=2&id=12231&is_corp=1 

It full of some of the most between the line and speculative reporting I have ever read. I usually like Wilde's articles but this one just spoke so much of conspiracy theory to me.

Its a fan driven and media driven fiasco as it is 99% of the time.

TPB has said several times that it wasn't like this in the olden days (which he would know more than any one) I know he was referring to players being tough and teams not being as cautious and he is right about that but it goes even further than that. In the olden days people respected privacy. They didn't demand to know the minutest parts of everyone else's lives. They didn't feel that they were entitled to be privy to everything. I realize that athletes are in the public eye and as such a little more transparency should be expected but not like this. No one takes anyone at their word anymore.

I guess that is partly because history has shown that not everyone is up front about everything and so they feel it is their duty to ferret out the truth. Like they are doing everyone a favor by fueling the fire. Then, if they are proven to b right what happens? Nothing. Some people get to sit back with a smug smile on their face and say "I told you so" with a feeling of superiority because hey were "right" and then everyone forgets about it and they move on and nothing was really accomplished because next week or next month or next year we will go through it all again. For nothing.

Coaches nowadays have it so much harder than in the past. That is not to say we should feel sorry for them. There are many vocations that have it harder today than in the past. Its just that the old "its my way or the highway" attitude is challenged by so many people these days. I know it sounds sacrilegious to say but as tough as Vince was I wonder if he could make it as a successful coach toady.

He will play or he won't. Until they say he will I'm figuring he won't. It does me no good to wonder "he said this but the way he said it might mean he meant that" I sleep well at night either way.

Sorry TPB I couldn't resist the age shot, no offense intended, it was a little joke.
Zero2Cool
10 years ago
Players weren't million dollar investments in the "olden days".
Players weren't worried about endorsement deals in the "olden days."
Players weren't SUING the NFL in the "olden days."

We live in the now, not the "olden days", get with it.
UserPostedImage
olds70supreme
10 years ago
Why all the wailing an gnashing of teeth? As far as I can tell nobody ever declared a timeline for his return. Where is this "led to believe" stuff coming from? As soon as the injury happened, every sports writer and forum member in the world started speculating how bad it was, how long he would be out, etc... If you read into any of that you deserve the disappointment you are experiencing, and by the way I have a bridge I'd like to sell you. The Packers didn't say how long he would be out for at least two reasons: 1. They themselves likely didn't know (how could you, collarbone healing predictions are a shot in the dark), and 2. They don't have to. Why would they, they have not reason or motivation to spill the beans?

In any profession there is a right way and a wrong way to do things. It is easy to preach this when times are good, but get into a pinch and all of a sudden that is all out the window. Everybody is panicking and trying to cut corners for short term gain. The end result is usually that more problems are created than solved. From what I can tell the Packers are doing this the right way. They have designated a medical expert to declare Rodgers medically fit, and they are sticking to it (as they should). It's laughable to think that McKenzie will feel the need to bow to the "pressure" of the situation and clear Rodgers prematurely. I'm guessing McKenzie sleeps just fine at night, and that the wild imaginations of rabid fans don't really affect him professionally.

blank
buckeyepackfan
10 years ago
No one here has hit on the #1 reason for all the speculation.

I am betting that if it were up to EVERY NFL team, they would prefer not to release an injury report to the public.

Since it is required by The NFL, every team does it, some try to release shady reports, but usually get a call from the Comish and end up getting fined.

Others do just the opposite, they will list every hangnail a player has just to piss off the league.

I remember the one year Brady was on the injury list every week(shoulder), he was listed as probable, but since he had absorbed a hit on his shoulder and missed a couple of series, Bellicheck threw a fit and decided to list him every week.

One would think the injury report is for the fans and the opposing teams, so everyone knows who is and who isn't healthy.

All you have to do is follow the money, to figure out the real reason teams are required to submit an injury list every week.

Like it or not. That injury list is mostly for The Boys in Vegas.

Few players will swing a game more than a point one way or the other.

Just happens The Packers have one of the guys who can swing a point spread by 5 or 6.

Someone said it best earlier, not a whole lot we as fans can do except wait until later today for the answer, but that answer will come....YOU CAN BET ON IT!!!!
😆
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Fan Shout
dfosterf (11h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (12h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (13h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (15h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (16h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (18h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (19h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7h / Around The NFL / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.