Mucky Tundra
10 years ago

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Eddie Lacy's case for the NFL's offensive rookie of the year award keeps getting stronger.

And wouldn't it be fitting if he helped solidify it on Sunday against the Pittsburgh Steelers?

It was the Steelers who reportedly "would not touch" Lacy because of toe fusion surgery he had before his final year at Alabama. If Lacy needed any extra motivation, which he said he did not, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said this week that picking running back Le'Veon Bell in the second round ahead of Lacy was "an easy decision.

Rob Demovsky  wrote:

Zero2Cool
10 years ago
263 carries
1,112 yards
4.2 yards per carry
10 touchdowns
60 longest run

Seriously, how frickin awesome is this for a Packers running back?
UserPostedImage
sschind
10 years ago
I don't think the rankings have changed much with yesterdays performances. I still think Lacy has a slight lead over Allen and with his 2 TDs to Allen's 1 he may have widened it ever so slightly. He also put up more yards,

Stacy and Patterson had decent days as well but not enough to move them past either Allen or Lacy. Patterson still is not doing enough in the position for which he was drafted to be a serious contender in my book but look out, I do think this kid is going to be something special.

If Lacy plays next week I can't see him having a bad game against the Bears so I think he wins the award unless Allen puts up 200 and 2 or 3 TDs which I think is unlikely against KC. If Lacy doesn't play and Allen has a decent day 100+ yards and a TD or two I think he MAY be able to overtake him.

With relation to the stats you posted I never thought Lacy would have 10 TDs. Of course had Rodgers not gotten hurt maybe he wouldn't have 10 TDs. The point is he does have them and its a great feeling knowing that we have one of the top QBs in the league and now it looks like we might have a top RB as well.

If you take away the Bengals game in which he had only 1 carry he is averaging almost 85 yards a game. That translates to almost 1360 yards for the season. Add in his receiving contribution and he is averaging almost 4.6 yards per touch. I think we have a winner.
sschind
10 years ago
Final stats are in are in (they don't count playoffs do they) I'm only going to do stats for Lacy,Allen and Patterson as IMO they are the only ones deserving of serious consderation. Guys like Stacy, Bell, Ellington, Bernard, yeah they had decent years but how can you be ROY if you don't have stats better that someone else dirctly comparable (same position)

Lacy:

284 carries
1178 yards
4.1 avg
11 tds
35 receptions
257 yards

Allen
71 rec.
1046 yards
8 tds
15 PR
125 yds

Patterson
45 rec
469 yds
4 tds
12 carries
158 yds
3 tds
43 KR
1393 yds
2 td

If you go by pure numbers and put equal stock in special teams as you do offensive numbers then Patterson probably wins it hands down.

On the other hand it is the offensive rookie of the year not offensive/special teams rookie of the year. for that reason I think Patterson misses out.

I was hoping Lacy could put up at least a hundred yards against the Bears. If he had I think it would have cemented it for him. The TD helped and the fact that Allen didn't do anything special to help his cause any.

Some articles I've read say Lacy slipped a little toward the end but they forget that Allen hadn't topped 100 yards in his last 4 games. He did have 5 TDs in those 4 game but so did Lacy.

The biggest thing Allen has going for him is that you don't see numbers like his out of a rookie WR very often and that may be enough for him to win enough votes to take the award. The problem with that is as soon as you start comparing the numbers to past years it ceases to be a rookie of the YEAR award. When you do that it automatically gives WRs an advantage because they do not have as much to live up to. It's like saying even though a RB has performed statistically better than all other rookies THIS YEAR it is what happened in past years that really counts.

Another argument that I hear for Allen is that he was not supposed to be much of a factor for the Chargers this year but when the Chargers lost their #1 and #2 WRs early he (Allen) stepped up and became the go to guy. A few things about that. First, does it really work in his favor. If he is the guy wouldn't you expect him to have the numbers. Its not like Rivers sucks and if you take away his top two targets someone will still catch passes. Second his numbers are not that great for a #1 WR. Heck, Nelson had better numbers and he was without a decent QB for almost half his games plus he had better WRs to compete with. Third if he stepped up when the other Charger WRs went down what can you say about Lacy stepping up when Rodgers went down. You can argue that Starks could have done what Lacy did and you may be right but then you can argue that Eddie Royal could have done what Allen did. Allen may have stepped up but you could argue that he was the Chargers #1 WR by default. Eddie Lacy flat out won the #1 Packers RB spot with his performance. The point there is each player did what they did and without either of them their teams probably don't make the playoffs.

Obviously I am biased in this as I think we all are. I think Allen is very deserving of consideration for the award as is Patterson. I would think that it would be a close call. To me the award should go to the guy with the best offensive numbers. Obviously if the guy with fewer yards has more TDs you may need to start looking at some of the intangibles but when the intangibles are pretty much equal and one guy has a lead in all the stats I think it's clear. It's not and MVR (most valuable rookie) award. Its not a CTSP (compared to seasons past) award. It is the OFFENSIVE rookie of the YEAR award and IMO it should go to Eddie Lacy.
steveishere
10 years ago
I think Lacy should get it but I won't be too butthurt if Allen wins, it seems like it's pretty tough for a WR to put up the production he did as a rookie. Patterson didn't come anywhere near doing enough as a WR, ST is ST and shouldn't really count toward an OROY award. He was an exceptional KR but any average guy can get 20-24 yards a return. I hate when people count return yards as "all-purpose" and then compare it to other players' yards from scrimmage. I could see using ST contributions as sort of a tiebreaker if offensive production is close but that isn't really the case here.
DakotaT
10 years ago
One more things for Vikings fans to whine about when Lacey wins. I'm looking forward to the announcement.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
10 years ago

One more things for Vikings fans to whine about when Lacey wins. I'm looking forward to the announcement.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

Cordarelle is the real deal, but Lacy proved his case week in and week out. Hell, if he hadn't had a concussion due to that cheap shot by Brandon Merriweather, his stats would be even better.

Dude's a warrior, plain and simple.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Fan Shout
dfosterf (6h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (13h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (14h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (14h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (18h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (20h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (20h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (20h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (20h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (20h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (20h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (20h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (20h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (20h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (21h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (21h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (21h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (21h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.