Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
Automobile accident? Campus shooting? Son in Iraq or Afghanistan?

I'm intrigued by the call you received, but obviously you don't have to answer the question if you don't feel comfortable.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
15 years ago

Automobile accident? Campus shooting? Son in Iraq or Afghanistan?

I'm intrigued by the call you received, but obviously you don't have to answer the question if you don't feel comfortable.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

It was an incident with my son in Afghanistan. I guess we can call it an auto accident. We are only going to tell the family that he broke his finger on the car door.
I thank God for the technology they have built into the Hummers these days. Last week I didn't care if GM went bankrupt or not. Today I want them to be in existence for another 1000 years.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
Fuck up-armored HMMWV's -- at least the ones we had my two tours in Iraq. They terrified me. As far as I'm concerned, they're death traps. I much preferred cruising around in the plastic-doored (or doorless) Hummers than the up-armored ones. At least the unarmored Hummers could accelerate when we hit the pedal! Sure, they left us a little more vulnerable to direct small-arms fire, but at least we could get the hell out of there when we were fired on! The up-armored ones took forever to accelerate. Plus, more often than not the doors were impossible to open from the inside. I had constant visions that we'd hit a roadside bomb and I'd be trapped inside a burning Hummer, unable to get out. Indeed, I've known guys who still have nightmares of their buddies screaming for help, unable to escape those burning turtles.

Ugh, I hope your son has something better than that. God bless him and I hope he comes home safe.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
15 years ago

Fuck up-armored HMMWV's -- at least the ones we had my two tours in Iraq. They terrified me. As far as I'm concerned, they're death traps. I much preferred cruising around in the plastic-doored (or doorless) Hummers than the up-armored ones. At least the unarmored Hummers could accelerate when we hit the pedal! Sure, they left us a little more vulnerable to direct small-arms fire, but at least we could get the hell out of there when we were fired on! The up-armored ones took forever to accelerate. Plus, more often than not the doors were impossible to open from the inside. I had constant visions that we'd hit a roadside bomb and I'd be trapped inside a burning Hummer, unable to get out. Indeed, I've known guys who still have nightmares of their buddies screaming for help, unable to escape those burning turtles.

Ugh, I hope your son has something better than that. God bless him and I hope he comes home safe.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

I can't speak a lot about his Hummer and how easy it is to open the doors but the vehicle did save him from the explosion.
Thanks for you good wishes.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
Well, yeah, as long as nothing catches on fire, the armor is a blessing. And I'm thankful that your son made it out safe. I know it must be a huge burden on your mind to have a son so far away.

By the way, I thought I'd let you know that you come highly recommended from dfosterf.
UserPostedImage
TheEngineer
15 years ago
So, I've read that the HMMWVs are being replaced by those new APCs that are being researched. Any news on which one has been chosen?
blank
Cheesey
15 years ago

"wpr" wrote:

I can't speak a lot about his Hummer and how easy it is to open the doors but the vehicle did save him from the explosion.
Thanks for you good wishes.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Wow.....i'm sure glad your son is ok.
I have no clue what it would be like having a son over there.
My prayers go out to you, your family, and your son.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
15 years ago

So, I've read that the HMMWVs are being replaced by those new APCs that are being researched. Any news on which one has been chosen?

"TheEngineer" wrote:

In the short term, the replacement of choice is the MRAP, which is what I was hoping David would wind up riding in. The new vehicle that is going to replace the HMMWV is going to have removable armor "compartments" and enough horsepower to get out of it's own way when the armor is installed. (See nonstop's commentary) Unfortunately, David will probably not even get to ride in an MRAP or the HMMWV replacement.

I think WPR said David was working from out of Bagram, on the mentor misson for Afghan police. That is not only a tough job, it is, in my opinion the most important job in Afghanistan. Everyone I know over there thinks highly of the ANA, but the police have so many issues... corruption, tribal trouble, mixed loyalties, etc.

I can't speak for the Army, but ironically, the Marine Corps has been kicking and screaming in a foot-dragging mode over the MRAP. The Corps likes to remain as light as possible for rapid deployment purposes, and the MRAP is anything but light.

That had to have scared the crap out of you and your wife, Wayne... I am beyond relieved that David is OK.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
15 years ago
So many posts, so little time.

Well, yeah, as long as nothing catches on fire, the armor is a blessing. And I'm thankful that your son made it out safe. I know it must be a huge burden on your mind to have a son so far away.

By the way, I thought I'd let you know that you come highly recommended from dfosterf.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

David's rig did not catch fire or at least he did not mention it to me.
As most parents are, I am concerned for my son (and my daughter) but I learned years ago that there is very little I can do to insure their safety. (see NIU shooting. Both of my kids were on campus and very near the incident.) I had to turn it all over to the Lord. That is the only way I can have any peace.
I am quite enamored w/ dfosterf as well. Not everyone can go fishing and lose their pants in the process. That takes a talent that I can only dream of achieving one day.

"TheEngineer" wrote:

I do not know what kind of a vehicle he drives. I am certain it is not the soft top as they have a 50 cal mounted on top of his truck. For the most part I do not ask him a lot of questions. I let him tell me what he wants to relay. That way he does not feel like I am grilling him. A couple of years from now I will sit down and ask him about some of the details.

Cheesey- thank you. I appreciate it.

Dfosterf is correct. David is operating out of Bagram. The good thing is he gets to come back most evenings and gets a half way decent meal. Sleep in his own bed. Fire up his computer and ride the net for a while.

His mission is mentoring the Afghani police. He is now about 6 weeks into it. Before he began he was excited. He thought this was one of the few jobs that would help make a difference in their country. I wonder if he still feels that way or if he has gotten frustrated by the politics.

Ironically when I 1st spoke to my son, I was fine. When I told my wife about the phone call, I was ok. She called me at work a few hours later to tell me that the Army had called us to inform us what happened. They gave her a few more details. It wasn't until about 12 hours after I spoke to my son that I started to grasp how serious it could have been.

Like them or not, I sent a letter to GM CEO Rick Wagoner and thanked him. That truck saved him and his buddies from serious injuries.

By the way, I glad this thread was cut out of the draft thread. I was trying to not side track the other topic.
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
15 years ago
I wouldn't know how it feel to have even someone close to me there, but I wish you, and your son, all the best.

I loved his letters you put on the site. I hope he'll return safely.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (15h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (15h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (16h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (18h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (19h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (22h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (23h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
13m / Around The NFL / Zero2Cool

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.