Zero2Cool
10 years ago

Weren't the 49ers gifted 4 points too?

Originally Posted by: cheeseheads123 

Referee Bill Leavy once apologized for blowing several calls in Super Bowl XL that may have cost the Seahawks a chance to win a championship. On Sunday in San Francisco, Leavy and his crew bungled a call in the second quarter that gave the 49ers an extra down against the Packers. A play later, the 49ers scored a touchdown, and went on to win 34-28.

On Monday, the league downgraded Leavy, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter, who adds that "NFL officials are judged and graded every week, and are often downgraded for issues. In the end, egregious mistakes can draw fines or cost officials assignments in the playoffs or Super Bowl."

Leavy's mistake on Sunday? After flagging Packers linebacker Clay Matthews for a late hit on 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick, Leavy also penalized 49ers tackle Joe Staley for unsportsmanlike conduct. (The league ruled Monday that Staley shouldn't have been flagged.) The penalties offset, but because it was a dead-ball foul, the down should have counted. Which meant that it should have been 4th-and-2 from the Packers' 6-yard line. Instead, the 49ers replayed third down and Kaepernick promptly threw a touchdown pass to Anquan Boldin.

After the game, Leavy admitted he had messed up.

"On the play where the quarterback [QB Colin Kaepernick] went out of bounds and was hit late out of bounds, and then there was a subsequent hit by a San Francisco player. the down should have counted," he said. "The penalties were both dead ball, and they should have offset at the spot where the runner went out of bounds. And it would have been fourth down."

It's the second time in two years that the Packers have been on the wrong end of an official's gaffe. Silver lining: At least it wasn't the Super Bowl.

source  wrote:

Bill Leavy is also the official who botched the Chiefs Chargers FG which eliminated the Steelers from playoffs.
UserPostedImage
warhawk
10 years ago
We have the better QB. The D has to make sure Kapernick doesn't put up numbers that would make him as good as ARod on that day.

Arod is going to play his ass off and after almost two months off isn't going to want to go home now. If he had been around all year these two teams would have very similar records.

SF has a good D but they have also not played a lot of teams that can pass and run the ball as well as we do.

So I think both D's are going to be equally challenged. I think SF will have a hard time with Arod and our offense and their offense is inconsistent right along with our defense.

"The train is leaving the station."
steveishere
10 years ago
Biggest differences from week 1:
No Clay Matthews
No Jerron McMillian
No Finley (even though he cost us an INT week 1 and Quarless has stepped up)
More reliable KR/PR (Ross was responsible for at least 2 huge negative plays vs 49ers)
OL has been better than they were at beginning of season (specifically Bakhtiari)
DL has been worse than they were
49ers have Crabtree back
Game is in Lambeau this time
DarkaneRules
10 years ago
I will be interested to see how the 49ers handle the elements/weather going into the second half of the game.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
DoddPower
10 years ago

I will be interested to see how the 49ers handle the elements/weather going into the second half of the game.

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules 

I really don't think the cold weather will affect the 49'ers much at all. It's not like the Bay area is the Central Valley of CA or anything. It's not very warm there, either, even if it's no Green Bay. Moreover, the 49'ers are basically built to play well in the cold. They have a crushing rushing attack and an incredibly mobile QB, and they have a punishing defense. If any wind, rain, or snow affect the 49'ers passing game, it will likely affect the Packers passing game as well. I think the 49'ers offense would function better than the Packers offense if the weather significantly affects the passing game, just because they have a better offensive line and a more mobile QB; and most importantly, the Packers defense would be easier to move the ball against than the 49'ers.

I really don't see weather bringing any significant advantage to the Packers in this game. Perhaps if they were playing the Chargers or Saints, but not the 49'ers.
DarkaneRules
10 years ago
It's going to feel like the single digits at game time and continue to go down from there. I think it will have an effect in my opinion, but how much, not sure.
luigis
10 years ago
I will assume we beat the 9ers, otherwise there's no need for analysis.
I think NO-Phi will be a very very close game that will depend on the weather, on fair weather I see NO winning, on a foul day the Eagles would prevail.

If NO manages to win and goes to Seattle I think we have a lot of chances against Carolina.
If Phi wins I don't think we can defeat Seattle at home.

Luis
DoddPower
10 years ago

It's going to feel like the single digits at game time and continue to go down from there. I think it will have an effect in my opinion, but how much, not sure.

It will have some affect, but that will apply to both the Packers and the 49'ers, thereby effectively eliminating any impact the weather has, imo. It's not like the Packers are better equipped to handle the cold than the 49'ers. It could easily be argued that the 49'ers are better equipped to handle the cold due to reasons I mentioned earlier. As good as the Packers running game is, I think the Packers will need their passing game more than the 49'ers will, especially considering the differences in the defenses.
DarkaneRules
10 years ago
We changed our offense a lot this season to be ready for this time of year. I think we have evened that out. I suppose the biggest difference is that Gore is healthy and Lacy not so much and Kap is a lot more mobile. But to say that 49ers are all power and we are all finesse is simply not true. Not saying that is what you are implying but I think we made great strides this year in taking on a more power identity... at least through our running game.
DoddPower
10 years ago

We changed our offense a lot this season to be ready for this time of year. I think we have evened that out. I suppose the biggest difference is that Gore is healthy and Lacy not so much and Kap is a lot more mobile. But to say that 49ers are all power and we are all finesse is simply not true. Not saying that is what you are implying but I think we made great strides this year in taking on a more power identity... at least through our running game.

I certainly never said the Packers were "finesse." What I did say was that the 49'ers running game is every bit as good as the Packers, and probably better, their offensive line is likely better, and their defense is definitely better. Moreover, their QB is more mobile. Overall, I think they are better suited to survive bad weather games than the Packers, even if the Packers can handle them pretty well themselves.