Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
Automobile accident? Campus shooting? Son in Iraq or Afghanistan?

I'm intrigued by the call you received, but obviously you don't have to answer the question if you don't feel comfortable.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
15 years ago

Automobile accident? Campus shooting? Son in Iraq or Afghanistan?

I'm intrigued by the call you received, but obviously you don't have to answer the question if you don't feel comfortable.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

It was an incident with my son in Afghanistan. I guess we can call it an auto accident. We are only going to tell the family that he broke his finger on the car door.
I thank God for the technology they have built into the Hummers these days. Last week I didn't care if GM went bankrupt or not. Today I want them to be in existence for another 1000 years.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
Fuck up-armored HMMWV's -- at least the ones we had my two tours in Iraq. They terrified me. As far as I'm concerned, they're death traps. I much preferred cruising around in the plastic-doored (or doorless) Hummers than the up-armored ones. At least the unarmored Hummers could accelerate when we hit the pedal! Sure, they left us a little more vulnerable to direct small-arms fire, but at least we could get the hell out of there when we were fired on! The up-armored ones took forever to accelerate. Plus, more often than not the doors were impossible to open from the inside. I had constant visions that we'd hit a roadside bomb and I'd be trapped inside a burning Hummer, unable to get out. Indeed, I've known guys who still have nightmares of their buddies screaming for help, unable to escape those burning turtles.

Ugh, I hope your son has something better than that. God bless him and I hope he comes home safe.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
15 years ago

Fuck up-armored HMMWV's -- at least the ones we had my two tours in Iraq. They terrified me. As far as I'm concerned, they're death traps. I much preferred cruising around in the plastic-doored (or doorless) Hummers than the up-armored ones. At least the unarmored Hummers could accelerate when we hit the pedal! Sure, they left us a little more vulnerable to direct small-arms fire, but at least we could get the hell out of there when we were fired on! The up-armored ones took forever to accelerate. Plus, more often than not the doors were impossible to open from the inside. I had constant visions that we'd hit a roadside bomb and I'd be trapped inside a burning Hummer, unable to get out. Indeed, I've known guys who still have nightmares of their buddies screaming for help, unable to escape those burning turtles.

Ugh, I hope your son has something better than that. God bless him and I hope he comes home safe.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

I can't speak a lot about his Hummer and how easy it is to open the doors but the vehicle did save him from the explosion.
Thanks for you good wishes.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
Well, yeah, as long as nothing catches on fire, the armor is a blessing. And I'm thankful that your son made it out safe. I know it must be a huge burden on your mind to have a son so far away.

By the way, I thought I'd let you know that you come highly recommended from dfosterf.
UserPostedImage
TheEngineer
15 years ago
So, I've read that the HMMWVs are being replaced by those new APCs that are being researched. Any news on which one has been chosen?
blank
Cheesey
15 years ago

"wpr" wrote:

I can't speak a lot about his Hummer and how easy it is to open the doors but the vehicle did save him from the explosion.
Thanks for you good wishes.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Wow.....i'm sure glad your son is ok.
I have no clue what it would be like having a son over there.
My prayers go out to you, your family, and your son.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
15 years ago

So, I've read that the HMMWVs are being replaced by those new APCs that are being researched. Any news on which one has been chosen?

"TheEngineer" wrote:

In the short term, the replacement of choice is the MRAP, which is what I was hoping David would wind up riding in. The new vehicle that is going to replace the HMMWV is going to have removable armor "compartments" and enough horsepower to get out of it's own way when the armor is installed. (See nonstop's commentary) Unfortunately, David will probably not even get to ride in an MRAP or the HMMWV replacement.

I think WPR said David was working from out of Bagram, on the mentor misson for Afghan police. That is not only a tough job, it is, in my opinion the most important job in Afghanistan. Everyone I know over there thinks highly of the ANA, but the police have so many issues... corruption, tribal trouble, mixed loyalties, etc.

I can't speak for the Army, but ironically, the Marine Corps has been kicking and screaming in a foot-dragging mode over the MRAP. The Corps likes to remain as light as possible for rapid deployment purposes, and the MRAP is anything but light.

That had to have scared the crap out of you and your wife, Wayne... I am beyond relieved that David is OK.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
15 years ago
So many posts, so little time.

Well, yeah, as long as nothing catches on fire, the armor is a blessing. And I'm thankful that your son made it out safe. I know it must be a huge burden on your mind to have a son so far away.

By the way, I thought I'd let you know that you come highly recommended from dfosterf.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

David's rig did not catch fire or at least he did not mention it to me.
As most parents are, I am concerned for my son (and my daughter) but I learned years ago that there is very little I can do to insure their safety. (see NIU shooting. Both of my kids were on campus and very near the incident.) I had to turn it all over to the Lord. That is the only way I can have any peace.
I am quite enamored w/ dfosterf as well. Not everyone can go fishing and lose their pants in the process. That takes a talent that I can only dream of achieving one day.

"TheEngineer" wrote:

I do not know what kind of a vehicle he drives. I am certain it is not the soft top as they have a 50 cal mounted on top of his truck. For the most part I do not ask him a lot of questions. I let him tell me what he wants to relay. That way he does not feel like I am grilling him. A couple of years from now I will sit down and ask him about some of the details.

Cheesey- thank you. I appreciate it.

Dfosterf is correct. David is operating out of Bagram. The good thing is he gets to come back most evenings and gets a half way decent meal. Sleep in his own bed. Fire up his computer and ride the net for a while.

His mission is mentoring the Afghani police. He is now about 6 weeks into it. Before he began he was excited. He thought this was one of the few jobs that would help make a difference in their country. I wonder if he still feels that way or if he has gotten frustrated by the politics.

Ironically when I 1st spoke to my son, I was fine. When I told my wife about the phone call, I was ok. She called me at work a few hours later to tell me that the Army had called us to inform us what happened. They gave her a few more details. It wasn't until about 12 hours after I spoke to my son that I started to grasp how serious it could have been.

Like them or not, I sent a letter to GM CEO Rick Wagoner and thanked him. That truck saved him and his buddies from serious injuries.

By the way, I glad this thread was cut out of the draft thread. I was trying to not side track the other topic.
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
15 years ago
I wouldn't know how it feel to have even someone close to me there, but I wish you, and your son, all the best.

I loved his letters you put on the site. I hope he'll return safely.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (8h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (9h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

22h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.