rabidgopher04
10 years ago

What hurts me...

Is that this most likely it. Aaron Rodgers is 30 and getting older. This is the down slope. We don't have a star QB forever. We were spoiled by Brett Favre and then Aaron Rodgers and the chance of getting a third star QB is so rare. We now have Eddie Lacy, we have some great WR, and so on. But what we don't have after years of football is a true stellar defense. We had a brink in 2010, but it died from there thanks to a few key players leaving. We need replacements.

Originally Posted by: The_Green_Ninja 

Dude, Peyton Manning just had the year of his career in his late 30s. Brady is still in good form. Drew Brees is still a badass at age 34. Rodgers is not on the downside. Truly great QBs can last for a while. We could have 4-9 good years left from Rodgers.

Amazing Bacon Delivery  Service! Never be without good bacon again.
nerdmann
10 years ago

Let's get realistic and concentrate on the fourth quarter. We have the ball 1st and goal on the 8 yard line and run some gimmick play with our slot receiver in the backfield - horribly telegraphed. 2nd and goal from the 10, we roll out Rodgers and only give 2 options to throw to - ball gets thrown away. 3rd and goal, Rodgers scrambles for 5 yards because nobody can get open. We had just run the ball down their throats the whole second half - who calls these shit plays in the red zone?

The last drive for the 49ers, they convert 2 3rd and 10's and two 3rd and shorts. Now the 3rd and shorts are acceptable but not the 3rd and 10's, ever. And we continue to allow these 3rd down conversions which is a major reason we are the 25th overall defense. Did they play hard today, sure, but a championship team does more than play hard. Our defense is far from championship caliber.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

The D got beat tonight, but they played with heart. They showed up ready to play, they just got out played.

I wish I could say as much about the offense.

Keep in mind, this D lost two starters on the first series. That is in addition to Clay, Hayward and others. I'll take the effort this D put into this game every time.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
porky88
10 years ago

Let's get realistic and concentrate on the fourth quarter. We have the ball 1st and goal on the 8 yard line and run some gimmick play with our slot receiver in the backfield - horribly telegraphed. 2nd and goal from the 10, we roll out Rodgers and only give 2 options to throw to - ball gets thrown away. 3rd and goal, Rodgers scrambles for 5 yards because nobody can get open. We had just run the ball down their throats the whole second half - who calls these shit plays in the red zone?

If I recall correctly, the Packers ran the same play in week one and Cobb nearly scored on it. You need to anticipate that a good coaching staff like San Francisco is going to prepare their players for it. They read that all the way. Furthermore, Lacy and Starks were both running the ball very well. It was an unnecessary call.

Gaycandybacon
10 years ago
I don't like hearing when people say that we're done. Never gonna win another one because of a bad few seasons in the playoffs.

What the Packers need to do is bring in some fresh new minds to coach this team and replace some players.

Our defense has not been good these past 3 years so I hope Ted wakes up and move on from Dom. Yes it could be on the players, blah blah blah. Not all Doms fault, blah blah blah. If somethings broke fix it. We need to see if something else works cause imo it can't get any worse than it is now. What's there to lose right?

play2win
10 years ago

The last drive for the 49ers, they convert 2 3rd and 10's and two 3rd and shorts. Now the 3rd and shorts are acceptable but not the 3rd and 10's, ever. And we continue to allow these 3rd down conversions which is a major reason we are the 25th overall defense. Did they play hard today, sure, but a championship team does more than play hard. Our defense is far from championship caliber.

Poor decisions from Mike McCarthy on our last drive. Failing to put up a TD was horrific, given we had an exceptional running game going very strong. The call for a Cobb run was about as foolish as can be. Proof that he still doesn't know how to call a good running attack. He had all he needed to score the TD.

Add to that, your most important point, we simply are not a championship calibre defense, along with so many key players injured, and there you have it. We do not have the horses to win the race. Until this defense gets about 4 blue chip players on it, and a DC who knows what to do with them, we will continue to fail.

Ted, Mike and Dom share the blame equally in our inability to compete.
Zero2Cool
10 years ago
Packers offense played a game they didn't deserve to win. The defense had troubles on 3rd down, but by no means is this solely on them. This loss is 80% on the inept offense.

If I recall correctly, the Packers ran the same play in week one and Cobb nearly scored on it. You need to anticipate that a good coaching staff like San Francisco is going to prepare their players for it. They read that all the way. Furthermore, Lacy and Starks were both running the ball very well. It was an unnecessary call.

Originally Posted by: porky88 

I was on the opposite 20 yard line, but when I seen 18 in the backfield in that situation, I was pissed. You absolutely MUST have Starks or Lacy in the backfield, or at least Kuhn and go 3 WR to stretch the safeties responsibilities. I saw one of the plays with only 3 DL I was thinking my gosh, run fades and QB can walk through the damn middle for TD. But noo... they have to freaking be cute with Cobb. Stupid concept when you're & and goal to go. You do not bring one of your weapons into the backfield (Cobb) and have another weapon (Lacy) on the bench. Make the damn defense account for multiple threats.

UserPostedImage
The_Green_Ninja
10 years ago

Dude, Peyton Manning just had the year of his career in his late 30s. Brady is still in good form. Drew Brees is still a badass at age 34. Rodgers is not on the downside. Truly great QBs can last for a while. We could have 4-9 good years left from Rodgers.

Originally Posted by: rabidgopher04 

Dude. Not that he will get worse, he will get better. But I'm talking our opportunities. We were climbing and developing Rodgers. Now we are at the stage where he will improve, but he will now leave sooner than later.
UserPostedImage
musccy
10 years ago

Originally Posted by: porky88 

Using this logic, the Packers shouldn't have even bothered playing offense yesterday. I'm willing to bet the 49ers had seen some of the other Packers plays to this point, including runs to Lacy and Starks.

Cobb has proven to be a dynamic shifty player who you want to get the ball to...people bitch about Mike's predictability, so he runs out of an empty backfield 5 wr set and still gets blasted This is ONE running play, on I believe 1st down, that STILL GAINED YARDS, yet people are acting like he steered the titanic into the iceburg.

dhpackr
10 years ago

The training staff needs to do that "balancing the muscles and joints" thing.

This D lost two starters on the first drive, including arguably the best player they had left on the field, in Sam Shields. But they man'd up all day.

I have no problem with the D's performance.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

I have a problem with how flat footed and utterly slow Morgan Burnett reacted to the TD to Vernon Davis...He flat missed that play and numerous other solo tackles on various RB's throughout the season....

IMO he is not a NFL Safety and needs to be replaced....

Watching Vernon Davis whip AJ hawk and Morgan Burnett, that really hurt me!

So if you meet me Have some courtesy, Have some sympathy, and some taste
Use all your well-learned politesse, Or I'll lay your soul to waste
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

Using this logic, the Packers shouldn't have even bothered playing offense yesterday. I'm willing to bet the 49ers had seen some of the other Packers plays to this point, including runs to Lacy and Starks.

Cobb has proven to be a dynamic shifty player who you want to get the ball to...people bitch about Mike's predictability, so he runs out of an empty backfield 5 wr set and still gets blasted This is ONE running play, on I believe 1st down, that STILL GAINED YARDS, yet people are acting like he steered the titanic into the iceburg.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

Put the Packers out at the 50 and Cobb in the backfield, split the receivers out wide and run them deep, GREAT! Spread the defense out and he will have a chance to makes some moves. Pack everyone into 8 yards area and he has no room. Poor call. Cobb is strong he he is not as strong as Lacy.

As far as him gaining yards 1 yard is nothing to celebrate. The point of the play is to score. They needed 9 yards not 1.

Getting back to the question of is GB a tough team or not. This play is indicative that they are not. A tough team hammers the ball up the middle for 4-5 yards. Then hammers it up the middle for another 4 yards. If they didn't score they hammer it in on 3rd down. This cutsie trick play shows that Mike didn't think his O line could impose their will on the defense when they had to.
UserPostedImage