MintBaconDrivel
10 years ago

GREEN BAY — DuJuan Harris is hoping to be part of the 1-2 running back punch with Eddie Lacy next year that the two were supposed to be this year.

Harris entered training camp as the Green Bay Packers starting running back, coach Mike McCarthy had insisted, but a right knee injury that had sidelined him all offseason recurred in his preseason debut, landing him on injured reserve.

Harris said at midseason that there was fluid on the knee and irritation of the patellar tendon but no structural damage found when he underwent surgery in August, which is a good sign for a full return to action when the offseason program and organized team activities kick off in spring.

"If they would've needed me last night, I'd have switched jerseys with somebody if I needed to," Harris said as the Packers players cleared out their lockers Monday, one day after their season-ending 23-20 NFC Wild Card Playoff loss to the San Francisco 49ers at Lambeau Field.

"I can run. I can outrun a lot of the guys in this league right now. my test is going to be getting it at top speed and then stopping all of a sudden. Once I get that down, I know [the] things I can do."

While Lacy rushed for a Packers rookie record 1,178 yards and 11 touchdowns in essentially 14 games — he added 21 carries for 81 yards in Sunday's loss to the 49ers — No. 2 running back James Starks, who carried 89 times for 493 yards (5.5-yard average) and three touchdowns, is an unrestricted free agent and rookie fourth-round pick Johnathan Franklin suffered a season-ending neck injury after contributing little (19 carries, 107 yards) in his first season.

The door would certainly be open for Harris, who was the Packers' lone productive running back in 2012, to have a role. After his promotion to the 53-man roster from the practice squad, Harris carried 34 times for 157 yards and two touchdowns in the regular season, then added 28 carries for 100 yards and two more TDs in the playoffs. He also caught two passes for 17 yards in the regular season and seven passes for 64 yards in the playoffs.

"It's going to be interesting for people to tune into it," Harris said of 2014. "Hopefully Starks comes back, hopefully I come back. None of us knows what's going to go on this offseason. There could be some surprises. Every year there's some surprises. We've just got to bust our butts. Hopefully everyone's healthy and we're a force to be reckoned with."

Jason Wilde  wrote:

blueleopard
10 years ago
Starks was simply fantastic this year, but if he gets too expensive, I wouldn't mind going into next season with Lacy, Harris, and Franklin in the backfield.
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
sschind
10 years ago
If Starks leaves Harris will get his chance. We all know Lacy isn't going anywhere and I doubt Franklin is either so that leaves Harris and Starks. Will the Packers keep 4 RBs next year? Who knows. If they go into next season with Lacy, Starks, Franklin and Harris I'll be more than fine with it. If they decide to go with Lacy, Harris, and Franklin that would be OK as well.

I know players don't always say the right things and I'm sure lots of times they don't mean what they say but you gotta at least give Harris credit for saying "Hopefully Starks is back" Its is Starks is his biggest threat to making the team.
DakotaT
10 years ago
Packers won't be able to afford Starks, and Harris makes him expendable. I think our bases are covered. Besides, having 4 capable running backs is an unnecessary luxury when obvious glaring holes exist elsewhere on the roster.
UserPostedImage
sschind
10 years ago

Packers won't be able to afford Starks, and Harris makes him expendable. I think our bases are covered. Besides, having 4 capable running backs is an unnecessary luxury when obvious glaring holes exist elsewhere on the roster.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

You are probably right about affording Starks and its a luxury for sure but I wouldn't say unnecessary. Having 3 capable backups is ALWAYS a good thing if it doesn't hamper your salary cap.
DoddPower
10 years ago

You are probably right about affording Starks and its a luxury for sure but I wouldn't say unnecessary. Having 3 capable backups is ALWAYS a good thing if it doesn't hamper your salary cap.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

That's the problem though. It very likely WILL impact the salary cap. I think the Packers need two dependable borderline #1 running backs given Lacy's physical running style. I would love to see Starks back, but I think Harris and Franklin could get it done. Starks will likely be too expensive, although I'm sure the Packers could afford to keep him if they really wanted to. It may be a wise decision. I really doubt Starks will be incredibly expensive, but who knows. Given how cheap Harris and Franklin probably are, it's not a bad idea. But still, keeping four RBs and a FB is a little excessive on a team with many needs.

rabidgopher04
10 years ago
DuJuan Harris? Oh yeah. I forgot about that guy.
Amazing Bacon Delivery  Service! Never be without good bacon again.
beast
10 years ago

I want another physical RB behind Lacy, in case something happens to Lacy.

Yes they got Harris and Franklin but both of them were on the IR and can you trust and count on them that they won't again?

but some interesting names out there if Packers are willing to grab anyone in FA (I doubt it at RB).

Toby Gerhart, Vikings ~ Packers fans really say he's poor and only a back-up but he's flashed some really good games and has been behind AP so could he be a very good back-up or even a starter on another team? I think it's possible. Also his brother is a Center on the Packers practice squad.

Rashad Jennings, Raiders~ i got a feeling the Raiders are going to try to resign him. Jennings is a guy I've like since he was in the draft and I wanted the Packers to draft him. Got drafted to the Jags and didn't really get to show anything with Maurice Jones-Drew there. Went to the Raiders flashed some potential.

Maurice Jones-Drew, Jags ~ He'll only be 29... of course 29 is old for a RB, and he'll probably be looking for big money and want to be starter.

Darren McFadden, Raiders ~ Very talented but very injury prone... might do him some good being a back-up though, if no one throws big money his way who knows...

Though i see resigning Starks as more likely or grabbing someone in the draft.
UserPostedImage
steveishere
10 years ago
Rashad Jennings I think is a really good back but I think the Raiders are going to re sign him to be their starter. I wanted us to draft Gerhart and I like him but I think someone will over pay him. Pass on McFadden. Out of all those I'd rather keep Starks but I won't be surprised if he gets a good offer from someone. I think Harris and Franklin have shown enough ability that they'd be adequate back ups. We don't need to over pay for a RB behind Lacy, I don't see it as a big enough priority. I think we just keep the guys we've got.
luigis
10 years ago
Lacy, Harris and Starks will be a very good group of RBs.

I don't see Jonathan Franklin making the roster next year regardless of what happens with Starks and Harris.

Luis
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (6h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (6h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.