play2win
10 years ago

A week ago everyone on this forum was ecstatic that we beat the Bears, won the NFCN and just slipped into the play-offs.

One monday later and everyone is let down by the SF loss.

Of course you always play hard, play to win and all of that, but in hindsight, on the long run... I'm not really sure who won out in week 17.

Again, you always play hard, you can't predict what happens in the play-offs and you don't throw games, but we did give up 7 picks to one of our biggest rivals.

The difference between the 14th and the 21st pick is drafting a guy like Kouandjio, Nix or Hage or not getting any of those guys and falling into a part of the draft where there's no d-lineman worthy of a pick and a lot of OTs you have to take a gamble on like Sherrod or guys with lower ceilings like Bulaga.

What's the point of my story? Nothing big, really. Just that the Bears, in hindsight, won in week 17.

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder 

Thought about this a lot today. Went to lunch with a good friend and avid Bears fan. He asked where we were picking, and I had no idea. Somehow, I knew he knew the answer before he even asked me.

I'll take the real win. We will draft better again, and we will win, again. And, I'm a huge draft nut. Gimme the win and the bragging rights, especially with McClellan taking out Rodgers, and Rodgers coming back to clean the Bears clocks! Perfect!
play2win
10 years ago

I can understand your thinking... Losing in week 17 gives the Packers a better opportunity to pick the player highest on their draft board.

However.. There is as Pack93Z states the economic impact.. Great point.

Add to that..... Playoff week and atmosphere experience. For all of the kids this week the playoff atmosphere and experience they received is a big plus in 2014. If that experience helps them calm down, and focus better next year at the dance, it more than makes up for the drop on Draft Day.

Originally Posted by: RaiderPride 

Another great point. That experience is precious.
Laser Gunns
10 years ago
The day I concede the division title to a rival, for draft position of all things, feel free to kill me.

I'd rather watch us get spanked in the playoffs every year than to give up in the hopes a draft pick saves us.

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
nerdmann
10 years ago
For the record, I was pretty disgusted with the self-shitting in the Bears game, even though we won.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
DoddPower
10 years ago
I've stated before that winning the division only to get embarrassed in the first round or two of the playoffs wouldn't make me feel any better than not winning the division, really. However, the Packers didn't get embarrassed in the playoffs. They got beat. They were beaten by a better team that is more talented, healthier, more physical, and better coached, but they could have won the game if they made just a few more plays. It's obviously not ideal, and the Packers have some serious concerns to address to become a true contender again, but they put up a decent fight. That's all average-to-good teams can really hope for against the top teams in the league. Until the Packers at least seriously address a couple of their major weaknesses, I just don't see them as being anything more than good. Fortunately, things could turn around pretty quickly, or they could remain about the same. It all depends on how the off season plays out, in addition to player health during the season.
nerdmann
10 years ago

I've stated before that winning the division only to get embarrassed in the first round or two of the playoffs wouldn't make me feel any better than not winning the division, really. However, the Packers didn't get embarrassed in the playoffs. They got beat. They were beaten by a better team that is more talented, healthier, more physical, and better coached, but they could have won the game if they made just a few more plays. It's obviously not ideal, and the Packers have some serious concerns to address to become a true contender again, but they put up a decent fight. That's all average-to-good teams can really hope for against the top teams in the league. Until the Packers at least seriously address a couple of their major weaknesses, I just don't see them as being anything more than good. Fortunately, things could turn around pretty quickly, or they could remain about the same. It all depends on how the off season plays out, in addition to player health during the season.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

Healthier.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
play2win
10 years ago

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

Yep. Ted and Mike have a hell of a lot to address. Regardless, that win over CHI was magical, and it along with the near win v. SF instills confidence moving forward.

For instance, I bet Hyde doesn't drop that pick next year.
DakotaT
10 years ago
I thought along the lines of getting the higher pick, hell, I brought it up. What sense did it make to limp into the playoffs with a quarterback not fully healed? But when the game began against the Bears, I was rooting for the Packers like I always do. Not quite sure why one Packer fan thinks he's more of a fan than another cause he doesn't entertain thoughts of what would be better in the long run?

I was pleasantly surprised with how we fought the 9ers yesterday. We were like a one legged in an ass kicking contest, and almost pulled it out. We know our team has heart, except for the Thanksgiving debacle - so now it is just a matter of making proper adjustments to the lineup.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

I thought along the lines of getting the higher pick, hell, I brought it up. What sense did it make to limp into the playoffs with a quarterback not fully healed? But when the game began against the Bears, I was rooting for the Packers like I always do. Not quite sure why one Packer fan thinks he's more of a fan than another cause he doesn't entertain thoughts of what would be better in the long run?

I was pleasantly surprised with how we fought the 9ers yesterday. We were like a one legged in an ass kicking contest, and almost pulled it out. We know our team has heart, except for the Thanksgiving debacle - so now it is just a matter of making proper adjustments to the lineup.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

If you every say anything "against" the Packers you are evil. 🙄
UserPostedImage
sschind
10 years ago
The Packers won, plain and simple. If you are the type of loser who feels losing to get a better draft pick is a better way to go then fine, I'm not going to say anything more. I'm just going to go on record as saying I am much happier that the Packers won in week 17, won the NFCN division, had a playoff game and will pick #21 as opposed to losing in week 17, finishing second in the NFCN and picking #14.

But that's just me.

By the way, usually I read all the responses to a thread before I post just to make sure I am not repeating what has already been said but asshat threads like this just get to me somehow so I I just hit the quote button and replied. Now I will go back and read the responses to the OP and hope that there are a few fans out there who still appreciate the season the Packers had.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (5h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (5h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (5h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (5h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (6h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (21h) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (21h) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (21h) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

19h / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.