play2win
10 years ago
Who do YOU want Ted Thompson to sign to the Packers?

With around $26.5M in cap space to play with, I feel we MUST sign -at least one- sure, veteran defender to this team. Two would be better. For me, I'd love to see OLB Brian Orakpo (top 3-4 OLB talent who plays the left side) and FS Jairus Byrd both signed and in Packer uniforms for 2014. Both players are 27 years old and in the prime of their careers.

http://nfltraderumors.co/2014-nfl-free-agents-top-50-list/ 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1905926-2014-nfl-free-agents-best-playmakers-set-to-hit-the-market 

The one defender I feel we must re-sign is Sam Shields. He is playing at a top CB level, and has incredible knowledge in our system. Beyond that, I would welcome some new, veteran blood with some upside. We need that on this defense, on this Packers team. This should have been done last offseason, as well as the one before that! Now is the time. Enough with strict Draft & Develop philosophies. These last 3 seasons have proven that does not work.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/12613/jairus-byrd 

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/12439/brian-orakpo 
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago
It does no good to torment ourselves. Uncle Teddy won't sign the player needed off the FA list. The only guys on that list I want to sign are the 4 Packer players.
UserPostedImage
play2win
10 years ago

It does no good to torment ourselves. Uncle Teddy won't sign the player needed off the FA list. The only guys on that list I want to sign are the 4 Packer players.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

He MUST sign at least one good defender this year wpr. He must. If he doesn't, I don't see how we improve this defense.

Our D is overall WAY too young, and we are about to lose two veterans in Pickett and Raji, maybe 3 if he doesn't pop for Shields, which I cannot imagine happening. Ted owes it to this team to do all he can to make it better. He hasn't done that these past 3 years, and we've seen those results.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/13377/greg-hardy 
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

He MUST sign at least one good defender this year wpr. He must. If he doesn't, I don't see how we improve this defense.

Our D is overall WAY too young, and we are about to lose two veterans in Pickett and Raji, maybe 3 if he doesn't pop for Shields, which I cannot imagine happening. Ted owes it to this team to do all he can to make it better. He hasn't done that these past 3 years, and we've seen those results.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

I am on your side big guy. I still doesn't see him manning up and popping for a quality starting FA. He will wait and pick through the leftovers. Maybe the guy will work out like Pick and Woody and maybe he will be released before the season begins.
UserPostedImage
Laser Gunns
10 years ago
I'd shit bricks if we got anyone worth a damn.

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
play2win
10 years ago

I'd shit bricks if we got anyone worth a damn.

Originally Posted by: Laser Gunns 

Right?

When we signed Pickett, he led the NFL in tackles for DL. We need an impact signing on our defense. It is LOOOOOONG overdue.

The positions on D that we can count on are bold:

LDE (vacant: BJ Raji)
NT Josh Boyd (uproven)
RDE Mike Daniels (***proven)
LOLB (vacant: Mike Neal)
LILB (vacant: Hawk should be upgraded)
MLB (vacant: Brad Jones should be upgraded)
ROLB Clay Matthews (***proven)
LCB Tramon Williams (***proven)
RCB Sam Shields (***proven, must be re-signed)
SS Morgan Burnett (could be a vacant position with his poor play, but he has a chance to improve)
FS (vacant: MD Jennings needs to go, Sean Richardson unproven)

That leaves a LOT of questions at 8 positions out of 11 on our D. Ted should address at least one if not two of those in FA this offseason IMO.
porky88
10 years ago
For what it's worth, Bob McGinn thinks the Packers are going to be more active in free agency. He's the best Packers beat reporter, so I usually pay attention to what he has to say.

I would let Mike Neal walk if the Packers could sign Jason Worilds.
Dulak
10 years ago
I agree - lets get a Great LOLB and a decent safety and call it a day ...

Our corners arnt too bad ... as long as we get shields signed also ... Id trade for orakpo and a good safety and shields signed over pickett and raji - we'd just need to shore up the Dline with something decent
DakotaT
10 years ago
Doesn't Uncle Ted usually take a ten day vacation at the start of free agency? Yeah, any top free agent you guys can pull from deep within your rectums, will be long gone after the man with no tan gets back from chilling. It's like you are all at your first rodeo. Oyveyy!!!!!!
UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
10 years ago
I know there are some who are hoping Ted gets involved in FA early this year, if he does, just don't see OLB'r being the position he will address.

There are 5 OLBr's currently under contract, Mike Neal can play both DL and OLB, I see Ted trying to sign Neal before going after any UFA that come on the market, even if Neal leaves, I don't see OLB as a high priority.

There are 3 ILBr's under contract for 2014, with Francois(UFA) and Lattimore(RFA), I don't see Francois coming back, unless a team offers Lattimore a huge deal, I see Ted matching any offer and bringing him back.

Even if Lattimore is signed that still leaves an ILB position open(figure 5), so depending who's available, Ted could go after a FA ILBr or use a high pick in the draft.

2014 Cap Projections

PLAYER....POS....BASE SALARY.....SIGN.BONUS.OTHER BONUS.DEAD MONEY.CAP FIGURE

C.Matthews.OLB..1,000,000..........4,100,000........6,000,000....(16,400,000)..11,100,000
Nick Perry...OLB..1,071,750.............973,500............................(3,018,750)...2,045,250
N. Palmer....OLB....495,000...............24,724................................(74,172)......519,724
A.Mulumba..OLB....495,000.................1,666.................................(3,334).......496,666
V.Aiyewa.....OLB....495,000...........................................................................495,000

A.J. Hawk.....ILB...2,450,000..........1,600,000........1,050,000.....(3,200,000)....5,100,000
B.Jones........ILB...2,500,000..........1,000,000...........500,000.....(2,000,000)....4,000,000
S.Barrington.ILB......495,000...............12,250...............................(36,750).......507,250

UFA's 2014

DE /OLB Mike Neal
ILB Robert Francois

RFA 2014
ILB Jamari Lattimore

And here's a cap hit breakdown by player for 2014(Zero post from other thread)
http://www.spotrac.com/n...ay-packers/cap-hit/2014/ 

Would be great if every year Ted could just dump guys who we as fans deem replaceable, but the reality is with The Salary cap, GM's have to make decisions on which players to sign and stick with those decisions so the team doesn't end up in Cap Hell.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (1h) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (8h) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
dfosterf (28-Mar) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : Yes
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : No.
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (28-Mar) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

10-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.