pacmaniac
10 years ago
This will be Capers' 3rd try at shutting down Kapernick. First try he got destroyed by the run. Second try he got destroyed by the pass. If he fails this third time, that's strike three and he should be out, IMO.
blank
Zero2Cool
10 years ago

Hold the other team to less than 20 points a game consistently. That is what wins championships.

I said keep them under 20 points offensively and that they can give up 300 or 400 yards a game.

28 teams kept teams between 300 and 400 yards on average.

6 teams kept teams below 20 points against. (I don't know if that is what the defense gave up so it could be less/more)

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Packers gave up 23 points and 381 yards.

That being said, the opening three drives being three and outs and netting only 1 positive yard contributed more to the loss than the defense. Especially the Packers failure to score 7 when within 10 yards to go for TD.
UserPostedImage
lolleren
10 years ago
Give Wade Philips a call.

blank
play2win
10 years ago
I am no Capers fan, but I do agree our talent has slipped drastically. Any DC would struggle with the piss poor play and all the injuries this group has displayed.

Tramon, Shields, Daniels, Hyde. These four players are the exception. The rest could be cut tomorrow without much loss. What does that say?

Clay Matthews has to be on the field, as when healthy he makes a difference. I get the two broken thumbs, but hammy issues every year make him somewhat unreliable. Josh Boyd gets a mention as a player with some promise, as does Andy Mulumba.

So that's 4 key contributors + 3 positive mentions. Wow. That makes 4 positions on this D without a decent player. What does that say?
nerdmann
10 years ago

I am no Capers fan, but I do agree our talent has slipped drastically. Any DC would struggle with the piss poor play and all the injuries this group has displayed.

Tramon, Shields, Daniels, Hyde. These four players are the exception. The rest could be cut tomorrow without much loss. What does that say?

Clay Matthews has to be on the field, as when healthy he makes a difference. I get the two broken thumbs, but hammy issues every year make him somewhat unreliable. Josh Boyd gets a mention as a player with some promise, as does Andy Mulumba.

So that's 4 key contributors + 3 positive mentions. Wow. That makes 4 positions on this D without a decent player. What does that say?

Originally Posted by: play2win 

Burnett has done it in the past. Kind of feel like this staff is F'ing him up a bit.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
play2win
10 years ago

Burnett has done it in the past. Kind of feel like this staff is F'ing him up a bit.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

No doubt! Morgan Burnett has regressed in this D as has BJ Raji. Top talents should not be doing the exact opposite of improving. Sadly, we've seen a lot of that, and maybe that does point to the staff.

Personally, I see our failures on D both the result of poor leadership and good talents that left this team going un replaced.

It's Dom's unit. If he didn't have the right players, he should have made Ted aware, and Ted should have fixed that.

I question just how much better we would have been under another DC, because we lack blue chip talent across the board. I would consider Shields and Matthews blue chip, Hayward last year. Maybe Tramon. That's it.
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
10 years ago
I don't like calling for coaches to lose their job. I'm not sure why this is, as my default is to see coaches the way I see quarterbacks -- i.e., they're mostly assholes.

I think part of the reason, though, is that old cliche about how coaches don't lose games, players lose games. Coaches are like middle-management -- they're necessary, but you can have the greatest middle managers in the world, but if the people at the top suck, or if the people on the assembly line lack competence, it doesn't matter. Your company is going to be somewhere between bad and slightly above average.

So for me, the problem is either at the bottom or at the top, or both. And I have to say I'm looking at the top, particularly at the people in charge of identifying and acquiring talent.

I've said it for years (save for a brief hiatus in 2011 after the super bowl win). If Ted Thompson insists on the balance between draft and free agency/trading that he does, i.e., emphasis on the former and bargain negotiating for the latter, he has to be well above average every year in his drafting.

And I just don't think he has been. Oh, there are some positions he is really good at, most notably WR, and he's had some home runs elsewhere (Rodgers of course, Shields, Sitton, Matthews, Lacy). But with the exception of the Rodgers out-of-the-park grand slam, every GM has some home runs.

Thompson insists as part of his personnel approach on not overpaying in free agency. And not just avoiding overpayment, but avoiding it to the extent that your acquisitions (Woodson, Pickett) only come from waiting until late, getting a bargain price, or both.

Be clear: I am *not* saying said approach can't work. That's why I put a personal moratorium on criticizing Thompson for awhile after the Super Bowl win (other than my usual "OL OL OL!" chanting at draft time).

But to *sustain* the Thompson approach, you have to be significantly better than your peers on draft day. And I'm not sure he is.

Woodson and Pickett were absolutely critical in the Super Bowl year. But Woodson is gone and, unfortunately, my man Pickett looks to be sliding as well. And the two most significant free agent acquisitions since Woodson and Pickett are?

Maybe we'll see Ted Thompson getting lucky and picking up their equivalent late in free agency this year, maybe we won't. I'm not holding my breath, because I don't see Ted Thompson ready to make a basic change in his philosophy and the likelihood of getting the level of a Pickett or a Woodson, much less both, is pretty small.

And that means, drafting in the last third of the round, Ted Thompson has to consistently be middle third in his draft choices.

I remember growing up watching Dave Kingman playing for the Cubbies. He hit some monster home runs. And he struck out hundreds of times, ending up being, what, a 0.240 lifetime hitter? I also remember watching the person I consider the greatest hitter of my lifetime, Rod Carew. Hit just 92 homeruns, but was in 18 consecutive all-star games, batting .300 in 15 straight, and under .280 just once.

With his approach, Ted Thompson needs to be Rod Carew. But, IMO, he hasn't been.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
play2win
10 years ago

I don't like calling for coaches to lose their job. I'm not sure why this is, as my default is to see coaches the way I see quarterbacks -- i.e., they're mostly assholes.

I think part of the reason, though, is that old cliche about how coaches don't lose games, players lose games. Coaches are like middle-management -- they're necessary, but you can have the greatest middle managers in the world, but if the people at the top suck, or if the people on the assembly line lack competence, it doesn't matter. Your company is going to be somewhere between bad and slightly above average.

So for me, the problem is either at the bottom or at the top, or both. And I have to say I'm looking at the top, particularly at the people in charge of identifying and acquiring talent.

I've said it for years (save for a brief hiatus in 2011 after the super bowl win). If Ted Thompson insists on the balance between draft and free agency/trading that he does, i.e., emphasis on the former and bargain negotiating for the latter, he has to be well above average every year in his drafting.

And I just don't think he has been. Oh, there are some positions he is really good at, most notably WR, and he's had some home runs elsewhere (Rodgers of course, Shields, Sitton, Matthews, Lacy). But with the exception of the Rodgers out-of-the-park grand slam, every GM has some home runs.

Thompson insists as part of his personnel approach on not overpaying in free agency. And not just avoiding overpayment, but avoiding it to the extent that your acquisitions (Woodson, Pickett) only come from waiting until late, getting a bargain price, or both.

Be clear: I am *not* saying said approach can't work. That's why I put a personal moratorium on criticizing Thompson for awhile after the Super Bowl win (other than my usual "OL OL OL!" chanting at draft time).

But to *sustain* the Thompson approach, you have to be significantly better than your peers on draft day. And I'm not sure he is.

Woodson and Pickett were absolutely critical in the Super Bowl year. But Woodson is gone and, unfortunately, my man Pickett looks to be sliding as well. And the two most significant free agent acquisitions since Woodson and Pickett are?

Maybe we'll see Ted Thompson getting lucky and picking up their equivalent late in free agency this year, maybe we won't. I'm not holding my breath, because I don't see Ted Thompson ready to make a basic change in his philosophy and the likelihood of getting the level of a Pickett or a Woodson, much less both, is pretty small.

And that means, drafting in the last third of the round, Ted Thompson has to consistently be middle third in his draft choices.

I remember growing up watching Dave Kingman playing for the Cubbies. He hit some monster home runs. And he struck out hundreds of times, ending up being, what, a 0.240 lifetime hitter? I also remember watching the person I consider the greatest hitter of my lifetime, Rod Carew. Hit just 92 homeruns, but was in 18 consecutive all-star games, batting .300 in 15 straight, and under .280 just once.

With his approach, Ted Thompson needs to be Rod Carew. But, IMO, he hasn't been.

Originally Posted by: Wade 

I'll add the danger Ted falls into holding to his "re-sign your own players" mantra, as it can cloud your vision, as in the re-signing of Brad Jones last offseason. That was stupid money that he signed him for, and it did and will set us back. Jones had done not one damn thing to earn that contract. He just happened to be one of Ted's guys.

Thank God Raji didn't jump his offer to him… $8M per year...
gbguy20
10 years ago
Someone find the threads and comments on Brad Jones last season, and also find his new contract thread.
steveishere
10 years ago

I'll add the danger Ted falls into holding to his "re-sign your own players" mantra, as it can cloud your vision, as in the re-signing of Brad Jones last offseason. That was stupid money that he signed him for, and it did and will set us back. Jones had done not one damn thing to earn that contract. He just happened to be one of Ted's guys.

Thank God Raji didn't jump his offer to him… $8M per year...

Originally Posted by: play2win 

The ILB market last year was shit. Jones did as much to earn that contrac as any other FA ILB last year would have. The contract isn't that bad to "set us back" anyways.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (12h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (13h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
20m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.