MintBaconDrivel
10 years ago

However free agency shakes out, the Packers probably will be counting on the first-rounder Datone Jones and fifth-rounder Josh Boyd to take on larger roles. The two rookies trended in opposite directions this season.

JSOnline  wrote:

Mucky Tundra
10 years ago

Defensive coordinator Dom Capers said Boyd possesses the "size and strength" to play the run in the defense, an apparent point of concern with Jones and the shorter Worthy.

So why did they spend first and second round draft picks on them?
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
DarkaneRules
10 years ago
I believe in Jones, but was disappointed with his lack of production in certain games. Another year in the conditioning program and defensive scheme will serve him well. He has size comparable to one of my favorite ends in football Brett Keisel of the Steelers. I think he is worth moving around formations because I believe he has versatility.

I don't know what to make of Worthy. Fierce guy but where is the production? But I could say that about the DE position as a whole.

Boyd stood out to me when he was in. Made me forget about Raji. I hope he becomes the player the coaching staff believes he can be.

The real point of contention to me is pressure up the middle. Unless it is coming from Daniels, it doesn't seem to come from anyone else.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Rockmolder
10 years ago

So why did they spend first and second round draft picks on them?

Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra 

Because they displayed some good play against the run in college.

Jones played the run quite well in college. I've seen him being compared to Justin Smith on some sites last year, not so much in skill, but in play style and measurements.

Worthy was supposed to be an overall good player with some flashes of brilliance. I think they hoped that he could just be inserted into any situation and just do his job.
musccy
10 years ago

Because they displayed some good play against the run in college.

Jones played the run quite well in college. I've seen him being compared to Justin Smith on some sites last year, not so much in skill, but in play style and measurements.

Worthy was supposed to be an overall good player with some flashes of brilliance. I think they hoped that he could just be inserted into any situation and just do his job.

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder 

Worthy showed flashes last year, and I'm hoping his lack of production at the end of this season was primarily due to slowly coming back from his knee.

What concerns be about Jones is that Daniels, Boyd, and Worthy all seemed to be counted on more as their rookie seasons progressed...there were signs of improvement, and that pretty clearly was not the case with him. I'm glad he's saying all the right things right now, but I had high hopes for Manning and Des Bishop, and they turned out to be just talk before being let go.

DoddPower
10 years ago
I'd be fine if Jones and/or Worthy could just be good to very good pass rushers. Finding bigger bodies that are decent against the run like CJ Wilson, Boyd, etc. are easier to find than highly effective pass rushing big man. Especially with how often the Packers play sub-packages. Obviously it would be better if they could do both well, but if I had to choose, I'd pick pass rushing skills over run skills. Focus on rushing the passer and work on playing the run in time as they continue to gain strength and possibly bulk. The Packers defense is never going to be very good if they can't find a consistent pass rush. When Rodgers is healthy, the Packers defense is going to be playing the pass very often. Got to find a way to consistently pressure the QB.
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago
I was really happy when we drafted Datone Jones, and to a lesser extent, when we got Worthy. I saw them as upgrades in athleticism - something the Packers badly needed - from the big clods we have been playing in the D-Line. Boyd may be a big clod like Raji and Pickett, but he at least gets the job done a lot better on the field than those two fat pigs.

The Packers have plenty of D-Line quality in house without drafting a D-Lineman early. Datone, Worthy, Daniels best of all, Boyd, maybe Neal back to DE, maybe retaining Wilson, THAT is the nucleus of a good rotation. Anything more we can get from low rounders and UDFAs.

The biggest key, though, is GET RAJI AND PICKETT OUT OF TOWN!

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
beast
10 years ago

I'm nervous about the DL, because that can make or break a defense and they haven't been the best this year and could be losing some of their better guys.

As far as Jones, Boyd and Worthy go... I seem them as rookies until they have their first healthy full offseason which none of them have had yet (Worthy wasn't healthy this last off season).

I'd like to see some of the vets back. I'm hoping they can bring Pickett, Jolly and Wilson back for cheap... though I don't know what is up with Jolly's neck injury... as well as maybe get another very good DL guy in the draft.
UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
10 years ago
I think it is incorrect to say they trended in opposite directions. Datone actually came on later in the season after being slowed earlier with an injury. I would say both got stronger in the defense as the season wound down. They were just used different, Boyd because of his size was used more in run support and also go time in pass situations, where Datone was predominately a Dime Pass rusher.

I think Boyd is about at the right weight, where Datone needs to get to about 295/300 lbs to be at his best weight for the defense.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
DakotaT
10 years ago
Are we all pretty much in agreement that the Raj needs to hit free agency and not let the door hit him in the ass? I really don't want to see Pickett as a starter anymore, but if he accepted a rotational role on a veteran team friendly deal it would be OK.

Boyd and Jones have earned their spots on this team. I also hope Johnny Jolly is back because he plays with a lot of heart.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (18h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (18h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (19h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (21h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (22h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Around The NFL / Zero2Cool

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.