play2win
10 years ago
Who do YOU want Ted Thompson to sign to the Packers?

With around $26.5M in cap space to play with, I feel we MUST sign -at least one- sure, veteran defender to this team. Two would be better. For me, I'd love to see OLB Brian Orakpo (top 3-4 OLB talent who plays the left side) and FS Jairus Byrd both signed and in Packer uniforms for 2014. Both players are 27 years old and in the prime of their careers.

http://nfltraderumors.co/2014-nfl-free-agents-top-50-list/ 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1905926-2014-nfl-free-agents-best-playmakers-set-to-hit-the-market 

The one defender I feel we must re-sign is Sam Shields. He is playing at a top CB level, and has incredible knowledge in our system. Beyond that, I would welcome some new, veteran blood with some upside. We need that on this defense, on this Packers team. This should have been done last offseason, as well as the one before that! Now is the time. Enough with strict Draft & Develop philosophies. These last 3 seasons have proven that does not work.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/12613/jairus-byrd 

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/12439/brian-orakpo 
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago
It does no good to torment ourselves. Uncle Teddy won't sign the player needed off the FA list. The only guys on that list I want to sign are the 4 Packer players.
UserPostedImage
play2win
10 years ago

It does no good to torment ourselves. Uncle Teddy won't sign the player needed off the FA list. The only guys on that list I want to sign are the 4 Packer players.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

He MUST sign at least one good defender this year wpr. He must. If he doesn't, I don't see how we improve this defense.

Our D is overall WAY too young, and we are about to lose two veterans in Pickett and Raji, maybe 3 if he doesn't pop for Shields, which I cannot imagine happening. Ted owes it to this team to do all he can to make it better. He hasn't done that these past 3 years, and we've seen those results.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/13377/greg-hardy 
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

He MUST sign at least one good defender this year wpr. He must. If he doesn't, I don't see how we improve this defense.

Our D is overall WAY too young, and we are about to lose two veterans in Pickett and Raji, maybe 3 if he doesn't pop for Shields, which I cannot imagine happening. Ted owes it to this team to do all he can to make it better. He hasn't done that these past 3 years, and we've seen those results.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

I am on your side big guy. I still doesn't see him manning up and popping for a quality starting FA. He will wait and pick through the leftovers. Maybe the guy will work out like Pick and Woody and maybe he will be released before the season begins.
UserPostedImage
Laser Gunns
10 years ago
I'd shit bricks if we got anyone worth a damn.

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
play2win
10 years ago

I'd shit bricks if we got anyone worth a damn.

Originally Posted by: Laser Gunns 

Right?

When we signed Pickett, he led the NFL in tackles for DL. We need an impact signing on our defense. It is LOOOOOONG overdue.

The positions on D that we can count on are bold:

LDE (vacant: BJ Raji)
NT Josh Boyd (uproven)
RDE Mike Daniels (***proven)
LOLB (vacant: Mike Neal)
LILB (vacant: Hawk should be upgraded)
MLB (vacant: Brad Jones should be upgraded)
ROLB Clay Matthews (***proven)
LCB Tramon Williams (***proven)
RCB Sam Shields (***proven, must be re-signed)
SS Morgan Burnett (could be a vacant position with his poor play, but he has a chance to improve)
FS (vacant: MD Jennings needs to go, Sean Richardson unproven)

That leaves a LOT of questions at 8 positions out of 11 on our D. Ted should address at least one if not two of those in FA this offseason IMO.
porky88
10 years ago
For what it's worth, Bob McGinn thinks the Packers are going to be more active in free agency. He's the best Packers beat reporter, so I usually pay attention to what he has to say.

I would let Mike Neal walk if the Packers could sign Jason Worilds.
Dulak
10 years ago
I agree - lets get a Great LOLB and a decent safety and call it a day ...

Our corners arnt too bad ... as long as we get shields signed also ... Id trade for orakpo and a good safety and shields signed over pickett and raji - we'd just need to shore up the Dline with something decent
DakotaT
10 years ago
Doesn't Uncle Ted usually take a ten day vacation at the start of free agency? Yeah, any top free agent you guys can pull from deep within your rectums, will be long gone after the man with no tan gets back from chilling. It's like you are all at your first rodeo. Oyveyy!!!!!!
UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
10 years ago
I know there are some who are hoping Ted gets involved in FA early this year, if he does, just don't see OLB'r being the position he will address.

There are 5 OLBr's currently under contract, Mike Neal can play both DL and OLB, I see Ted trying to sign Neal before going after any UFA that come on the market, even if Neal leaves, I don't see OLB as a high priority.

There are 3 ILBr's under contract for 2014, with Francois(UFA) and Lattimore(RFA), I don't see Francois coming back, unless a team offers Lattimore a huge deal, I see Ted matching any offer and bringing him back.

Even if Lattimore is signed that still leaves an ILB position open(figure 5), so depending who's available, Ted could go after a FA ILBr or use a high pick in the draft.

2014 Cap Projections

PLAYER....POS....BASE SALARY.....SIGN.BONUS.OTHER BONUS.DEAD MONEY.CAP FIGURE

C.Matthews.OLB..1,000,000..........4,100,000........6,000,000....(16,400,000)..11,100,000
Nick Perry...OLB..1,071,750.............973,500............................(3,018,750)...2,045,250
N. Palmer....OLB....495,000...............24,724................................(74,172)......519,724
A.Mulumba..OLB....495,000.................1,666.................................(3,334).......496,666
V.Aiyewa.....OLB....495,000...........................................................................495,000

A.J. Hawk.....ILB...2,450,000..........1,600,000........1,050,000.....(3,200,000)....5,100,000
B.Jones........ILB...2,500,000..........1,000,000...........500,000.....(2,000,000)....4,000,000
S.Barrington.ILB......495,000...............12,250...............................(36,750).......507,250

UFA's 2014

DE /OLB Mike Neal
ILB Robert Francois

RFA 2014
ILB Jamari Lattimore

And here's a cap hit breakdown by player for 2014(Zero post from other thread)
http://www.spotrac.com/n...ay-packers/cap-hit/2014/ 

Would be great if every year Ted could just dump guys who we as fans deem replaceable, but the reality is with The Salary cap, GM's have to make decisions on which players to sign and stick with those decisions so the team doesn't end up in Cap Hell.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Fan Shout
dfosterf (6h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (13h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (14h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (14h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (17h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (20h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (20h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (20h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (20h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (20h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (20h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (20h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (20h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (20h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (20h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (21h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (21h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (21h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.