PackFanWithTwins
10 years ago

As much as I've grown to like Boykin, the Packers made the right decision putting Jones on the field. Not only is he the starter, you want to have your leaders, your seasoned players in there.

Originally Posted by: blueleopard 

Jones must have been keeping the injury to himself. The way the Packers handle injuries I can't see them not having him listed if they knew. And the league frowns on not listing injured players.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
beast
10 years ago

Eh, the Buck always stop with the Boss. If Capers thinks his subordinates are making the wrong decision, he has to over-rule them. That's his job. He's the guy that knows more about his scheme as a whole. Even if his position coaches were making the mistakes, than Capers is still to blame for not correcting them. If I was making mistakes at my job and my boss didn't correct them, I would still get in trouble, but so would my boss because he's ultimately responsible for everything we produce. Ultimately, it would end up in lost contracts and some of us without jobs.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

Well if we're going to give the boss all the blame then why isn't he also getting all the credit for the good things?

What I see is people blaming one scape goat and saying everything else is alright when that's clearly bull...

All i hear is it's Capers fault over and over...

Capers get blamed for the horrible Safety play, I still haven't heard people question the Safetey coach and maybe weather he's at fault at all for not being able to coach guys up better.

Capers get blamed for the OLB not being better yet people are hoping Coach Greene become the next defensive coordinator, when Greene has basically said he loves Dom system and it sounds like it's what he would want to run as well... and Greene has only had one above average player (Matthews) and has failed to coach up other draft pick to where they're decent players... yet Capers gets all the blame.

And if the Boss gets all the blame then it should be MM, because he's the boss... and he's the one that forced Capers to switch schemes, to a more traditional 3-4 scheme.

Heck Mike McCarthy unit played worse than Capers units in the playoffs and Mike McCarthy hired Capers... that should be enough to get Mike McCarthy fired based on some of the logic that been going around. Yet it all goes onto Capers... just like it has all gone on Hawk, Bush and Crosby other years, when time has proven it wasn't their fault. Fans need a scape goat... doesn't mean that scape goat is always truely as fault.
UserPostedImage
beast
10 years ago

Jones must have been keeping the injury to himself. The way the Packers handle injuries I can't see them not having him listed if they knew. And the league frowns on not listing injured players.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

Yeah I was thinking the Packers could be seeing a fine for not listing this on the injury report (at least if the NFL can prove they knew about it).
UserPostedImage
steveishere
10 years ago

Well if we're going to give the boss all the blame then why isn't he also getting all the credit for the good things?

What I see is people blaming one scape goat and saying everything else is alright when that's clearly bull...

Capers get blamed for the horrible Safety play, I still haven't heard people question the Safetey coach and maybe weather he's at fault at all for not being able to coach guys up better.

Capers get blamed for the OLB not being better yet people are hoping Coach Greene become the next defensive coordinator, when Greene has basically said he loves Dom system and it sounds like it's what he would want to run as well... and Greene has only had one above average player (Matthews) and has failed to coach up other draft pick to where they're decent players... yet Capers gets all the blame.

And if the Boss gets all the blame then it should be MM, because he's the boss... and he's the one that forced Capers to switch schemes, to a more traditional 3-4 scheme.

Heck Mike McCarthy unit played worse than Capers units in the playoffs and Mike McCarthy hired Capers... that should be enough to get Mike McCarthy fired based on some of the logic that been going around. Yet it all goes onto Capers... just like it has all gone on Hawk, Bush and Crosby other years, when time has proven it wasn't their fault. Fans need a scape goat... doesn't mean that scape goat is always truely as fault.

Originally Posted by: beast 

Right then, Capers has absolutely NO responsibility and his defense has been marvelous for the last 3 years (and if it hasn't been well that was obviously someone elses fault)
beast
10 years ago

Right then, Capers has absolutely NO responsibility and his defense has been marvelous for the last 3 years (and if it hasn't been well that was obviously someone elses fault)

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

Exactly!!! Finally someone with some common sense up in here....

[sarcasm]

On a more serious note... Capers deserves some blame... but not all the blame like he has been getting... I think it should be fire the whole defense staff ... not fire Capers and promote Kevin Greene (who would probably do the same things) ...

That or fire all the coaches and get some better coaches up in here... it's not like Mike McCarthy has done a great coach with those first couple drives against the 49ers that were 3 and outs... take the ball out of the hands of your best play maker 4 plays to start a game? What was Mike McCarthy thinking?

Or why not Ted Thompson as well? It's not like this roster has been overly good... I think somebody here has posted that the OTs have been bottom of the NFL this year.... and have you seen the lack of Safety play? And last helpful 1st round pick this season was from 2009...

But if we fire Capers all these other problems will somehow magically fit themselves...
UserPostedImage
DoddPower
10 years ago

Originally Posted by: beast 

As I said, the buck stops with him. He gets credit for the good, and the bad. I've already credited him with a decent job this year in the playoffs. However, imo, there has been more good than bad. It's not based off one game either. McCarthy's unit consistently performs better than the Packers defense. I'm not sure why some struggle to understand the bigger picture, and that a few games here and there do not and should not sway ones perspective of a coach or a player one way or the other. It's a cumulative evaluation over the long term.

But your right, McCarthy should get more blame for keeping around under performing players or coaches. I'm totally OK with that. I think sometimes Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy are far too loyal . . . to a fault. I think there should be more accountability for the Packers failures the past few years.
beast
10 years ago

However, imo, there has been more good than bad.

Can I quote you on that? [grin1]

But your right, McCarthy should get more blame for keeping around under performing players or coaches.

That's all I'm asking... just want people to stop blaming one person... it's not one person. It's not one fix... othrs should be getting some blame as well, not just one person.

I'm fine with the idea of firing the whole defeive staff (if there is a better group of coaches) but I don't think it's one guy... and I don't think it's just the coaches either. Players have their own share of blame as well...

I'm not sure why some struggle to understand the bigger picture, and that a few games here and there do not and should not sway ones perspective of a coach or a player one way or the other. It's a cumulative evaluation over the long term.

I agree... and I also don't know why the people, media or NFL use yardage to rank teams... points are what matter. Looking over the Packers years since the 1990s only two defensive coordinator have gotten the team into top 10 more than one year... Dom Capers and Fritz Shurmur

Packers points allowed

2013: 24th
2013 (with Rodgers): 15th
2013 (without Rodgers): 32nd

2012: 9th*
( * = if they called the fail mary play correctly )

Bold and Red = Top 10 in least amount of points given up that season

Capers
2013: 24th (15th when Rodgers played)
2012: 9th*
2011: 19th
2010: 2nd
2009: 7th

Bob Sanders
2008: 22nd
2007: 6th
2006: 25th

Jim Bates
2005: 19th

Bob Slowik
2004: 23rd

Ed Donatell
2003: 11th
2002: 12th
2001: 5th
2000: 14th

Emmitt Thomas
1999: 20th

Fritz Shurmur
1998: 11th
1997: 5th
1996: 1st
1995: 4th
1994: 5th

Ray Rhodes
1993: 9th
1992: 15th

Hank Bullough
1991: 18th
1990: 18th
1989: 18th
1988: 11th
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (59m) : No.
Mucky Tundra (3h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (3h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (6h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (7h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (17h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.