musccy
10 years ago

McCarthy has been relatively lucky in having a healthy QB and Receivers. This year is the first where he really had to face adversity on the offense. And I don't think he did a good job of changing the offense to match the skill of the players available. It took getting Flynn so he could again call plays about the same as he does for Rodgers for the offense to have any success.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

cheesehead already made one of my points for me about the health of the wrs, but add to that the issues at RB and OL and I wouldn't exactly say it has been easy for him.

Furthermore, very few starting QBs are hurt for prolonged periods of time, so M.M. isn't the only HC/OC who has been lucky to this point.
PackFanWithTwins
10 years ago

cheesehead already made one of my points for me about the health of the wrs, but add to that the issues at RB and OL and I wouldn't exactly say it has been easy for him.

Furthermore, very few starting QBs are hurt for prolonged periods of time, so M.M. isn't the only HC/OC who has been lucky to this point.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

I see most of our RB and OL issues mostly being caused by McCarthy and his refusal to shift blocking scheme (until this year). We were never able to block the outside zone very well and that is symptom of his not adjusting to what his players can do.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
musccy
10 years ago

I see most of our RB and OL issues mostly being caused by McCarthy and his refusal to shift blocking scheme (until this year). We were never able to block the outside zone very well and that is symptom of his not adjusting to what his players can do.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

I was referring to health more. The Packers have been cursed a bit at tackle.

10 years ago

Yeah, look what this offense did when its had its healthiest line. Won a super bowl in 2010 and set records in 2011.
UserPostedImage
blueleopard
10 years ago
McCarthy has definitely made some bonehead playcalls, but those are being put under a huge magnifying class because we're Packers fans and we're spoiled.

Our offensive is as good as it is because we have McCarthy. If we fired McCarthy, Rodgers has to go back to Step 1, and I'd rather not have that happen. These guys are joined at the hip. And if you noticed at the beginning of the season, they definitely had verbal disagreements--which is why Rodgers was more aggressive with the audibles at the line of scrimmage. Same went for Matt Flynn. If you ask me, Flynn listens more to Rodgers than he does McCarthy.

What I really don't like about McCarthy is the way he calls run plays when the pass is working. I don't know if anybody else noticed, but when Flynn ran the offense, it was mostly vanilla offense with vanilla running attempts. When Rodgers is in, he tends to hand the ball off from the shotgun. THAT's where things get predictable and stupid.

Yes, we don't dominate teams, but it's not because of the playcalling. Look back at Rodgers' 15-1 MVP season. There was no issue with the playcalling there.

Thompson just needs to give McCarthy and Rodgers a better offensive line to work with.

The Packers also lack the "step on their throats" mentality. I'm not saying run up the score, but the team needs a mean streak. Hell, yes, I want the team to run up the score.
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
PackFanWithTwins
10 years ago

Yes, but that hasn't really needed adjusting the play calling or game planning either. The only other time where the game planning and scheming needed to really be adjusted was in 2010 when Finley went down and even that year, it took a number of weeks before the team was itself again, and we only survived because of having Rodgers under Center and a deep WR group.

To me he just seems to be a "this is what we do doesn't matter who is playing or gets hurt" where I would like to see him quicker to be able to adjust. I think this is related to why he seems to only adjust at halftime rather than on the fly.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago
Actually, our Offense is as good as it is because we have Aaron Rodgers.

There is so much love for McCarthy simply because the Packers have been a winning team throughout his tenure. Why is that, given the mostly BAD defense, given the mostly BAD O-Line, given the bunch of injuries, given the lack of quality at RB until this season, etc.? Aaron Rodgers! Outscoring other teams, and generally doing so while escaping a pass rush made worse by poor O-Line blocking and lack of a credible run threat until this season. Arguably, McCarthy has lucked out to the max having Rodgers as his QB - and this year, when Rodgers was hurt, for the first time, people began to question/criticize the wisdom and quality of the head coach, in addition to everything else that was exposed by Rodgers' injury. Would we even have this thread otherwise?

My gripe about McCarthy is that he seemed to float in the wind regarding this shit people bring up about more run plays/time of possession/idiocy like that. Over the past few seasons, we had the BEST offense in the NFL. Then we lucked out again, and drafted possibly the best RB in the league. And what happened - even before and after the Rodgers injury? The offense got WORSE! Why? Because McCarthy GAVE IN to the idiocy promoted in this forum and a lot of other places that we should run first - basically throwing away early downs, putting more pressure on the passing game with 3rd and long so much, etc. McCarthy was a GREAT playcaller the past few seasons when he emphasized down field passing anytime. He would be a GREAT playcaller again if he would go back to that and use Lacy as an occasional runner instead of forcing the run game on early downs.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
beast
10 years ago

I feel like Mike McCarthy play calling gets into patterns... and when defenses start figuring out those patterns the offense gets into trouble.

Also I like an out of the box play once in a while, I'm not talking like RB pass or anything too fancy but having a change up to go along with your fast ball... though I did noticed he pull one against the 49ers (which I had been hoping to see for a while).

Basically load up on strong side make it seem like a sure run to the strong side then have it as a surprise go to the weak side. It's something the Lions have worked extremely well with their speed backs, and it's something I think Franklin or Cobb could do extremely well as you're basically trying to get upside the contain guy as well as trying to trick the contain guy to come chashing down to the inside.

Mike McCarthy did it with Starks against the 49ers, made it look like it was gonna go left, their contain guy bite slightly on the play but Starks had enough speed to get around him with that and I think he got a 1st down.

Franklin and Cobb with their speed might not even need them to bite for that to work, just a good to great block on the CB and/or S coming down to help out.
UserPostedImage
DarkaneRules
10 years ago
A lot of the comments I am seeing bring back the old argument of does the player make the coach or does the coach make the player. I will never ever be getting into this debate so carry on yall 😛
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
DoddPower
10 years ago

A lot of the comments I am seeing bring back the old argument of does the player make the coach or does the coach make the player. I will never ever be getting into this debate so carry on yall :p

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules 

As always, it's never that simple or black and white (well, almost never), just like life in general. Unfortunately, many try to act like it is, but I think most of us know better.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (3h) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
dfosterf (28-Mar) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : Yes
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : No.
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (28-Mar) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

10-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.