Green Bay Packers Forum

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
4 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline wpr  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 15, 2014 1:57:20 PM(UTC)

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2014FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

Applause Given: 3,311
Applause Received: 1,606
Rob Demovsky said:
In last year's draft, there were two safeties off the board when it came time for the Green Bay Packers to pick at No. 26 in the first round.

So instead of taking Florida safety Matt Elam, who would end up going six picks later to the Baltimore Ravens, Packers general manager Ted Thompson opted for UCLA defensive end Datone Jones.

Thompson's decision not to address the safety position at all in the draft or free agency turned out to be a mistake that would end up costing the 2013 team.

While Kiper expects Alabama’s Ha Ha Clinton-Dix to be selected before the Packers pick, he has them taking Louisville safety Calvin Pryor.

Quote:
He has a reputation as a physical, hard-hitting safety – something the Packers have lacked in recent years.
love this.

Quote:
Pryor sat out one game last season because he was suspended for an unspecified violation of team rules.
oh oh. He's not Packer People.
Offline wpr  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 15, 2014 2:20:43 PM(UTC)

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2014FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

Kiper may be on to something. Walters has Pryor listed at the 4th best Safety. A 2-3 round pick.
Cbs has him listed at #1 even in front of Clinton-Dix. A 1st or 2nd round pick.
SI has him going to GB in the first.

Which of course means Uncle Teddy will go another direction.
Offline Rockmolder  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 15, 2014 2:25:42 PM(UTC)

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2010

Netherlands
Applause Given: 198
Applause Received: 323
Sounds quite early to draft Pryor to me, but if Kiper says so, I guess it will catch on with a lot of mock drafters soon enough, for no reason, really.

We'll see what he does at the combine. He has a real big chance to sneak into the 1st, but right now, the 21st pick seems like a bit of a reach.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Mucky Tundra on 1/15/2014(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 15, 2014 2:29:15 PM(UTC)

Rockmolder said: Go to Quoted Post
Sounds quite early to draft Pryor to me, but if Kiper says so, I guess it will catch on with a lot of mock drafters soon enough, for no reason, really.

We'll see what he does at the combine. He has a real big chance to sneak into the 1st, but right now, the 21st pick seems like a bit of a reach.

Yeah I have a hard time accepting the fact that he will be the BPA. He may be the best S available but Ted almost never takes the player at a need position if someone considerably better is still on the board.
Offline steveishere  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 15, 2014 2:31:05 PM(UTC)

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 56
Applause Received: 1,253
Rockmolder said: Go to Quoted Post

A lot of the draft guys I follow on twitter seem to think he's 1st round quality and I've been seeing it before Kiper came out with his thing. There's really no reason at this point to think he's a reach in the first round. He's got the production and physical ability for it.
Offline nerdmann  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 15, 2014 2:32:48 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 3,846
Applause Received: 910
wpr said: Go to Quoted Post
Kiper may be on to something. Walters has Pryor listed at the 4th best Safety. A 2-3 round pick.
Cbs has him listed at #1 even in front of Clinton-Dix. A 1st or 2nd round pick.
SI has him going to GB in the first.

Which of course means Uncle Teddy will go another direction.

Ted can be quite predictable at times. BJ Raji, AJ Hawk, Datone Jones, these guys were all projected to go to us even before the draft.
Offline wpr  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, January 15, 2014 3:04:29 PM(UTC)

nerdmann said: Go to Quoted Post
Ted can be quite predictable at times. BJ Raji, AJ Hawk, Datone Jones, these guys were all projected to go to us even before the draft.

Hawk yes but that was a weak draft and there were not many choices for GB at #5. I saw as many for other players other than Raji. Jones no way. If you look at 100 predictions he was on less than half of them. Of course someone will get it right but he was not that predicable. Many said he was not a fit for GB 3-4.

Even if these 3 were all predicable. Out of 9 drafts guessing the first pick 3 times is not a shocker. Especially when you factor in the 1000 "experts" making their guesses.
Offline Bigbyfan  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, January 15, 2014 3:19:09 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 57
Applause Received: 153
Hawk yes but that was a weak draft and there were not many choices for GB at #5. I saw as many for other players other than Raji. Jones no way. If you look at 100 predictions he was on less than half of them. Of course someone will get it right but he was not that predicable. Many said he was not a fit for GB 3-4.

Even if these 3 were all predicable. Out of 9 drafts guessing the first pick 3 times is not a shocker. Especially when you factor in the 1000 "experts" making their guesses.

Not sure what draft sites you follow, but the majority I read had the Packers either taking Datone Jones or Lacy in the 1st round (Luckily we got both). There were some saying Elam/Cyprien however.

Offline DoddPower  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, January 15, 2014 3:21:32 PM(UTC)

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States
Applause Given: 2,641
Applause Received: 685
I'm continually becoming more and more infatuated with Ra'shede Hageman. He's so big and has the long arms necessary to excel as a defensive end in a 3-4, or on the inside. I'm definitely going to be keeping my eye on him.
wpr on 1/16/2014(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, January 15, 2014 4:13:46 PM(UTC)

Bigbyfan said: Go to Quoted Post
Not sure what draft sites you follow, but the majority I read had the Packers either taking Datone Jones or Lacy in the 1st round (Luckily we got both). There were some saying Elam/Cyprien however.

fair question. Many of the links for last year are gone. I didn't say that I never saw anyone saying Jones would be with GB. Simply that there were a lot of other choices, including Lacy.

I did a quick google search. Went through 4 pages. I got 12 sites with 2013 mock drafts. Some of them had multiple people picking so I ended up with 22 first round selections for GB.

The picks were as follows:
Lacy 6 times.
Jones 3 times
TE- Eifert 3 times
FS Elam 2 times
1 time for the following:
OT- Watson; WR- Patterson, Hopkins, Woods; CB- Rhodes; DT- Williams; DE- Jordan and S- Vaccaro

You are correct when you add Lacy into the equation. But I am correct when I said Jones was not an overwhelming pick on his own.

The more common websites with a little credibility are:
Walter's- Jones
Draftek- Jones
Bleacher Report- Lacy (Ok some don't have that much credibility)
USA Today- Lacy
SI- Williams
Mayock- Lacy
TSN- Lacy
NY Daily News- Vaccaro

The other person to pick Jones was one of the 6 guys on NEPatriotsdraft.com.
FFToolbox.com had 6 picks also Lacy and Elam were tops.

DoddPower on 1/16/2014(UTC)
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, January 15, 2014 4:29:54 PM(UTC)

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2015

United States
Applause Given: 606
Applause Received: 416
At this early stage, it's mostly only relevant to consider positions. I'm glad to read they are saying Safety. I'm thankful it ain't TE. As for Pryor, my question is , can he cover? There's a reason the Packers tend to avoid hard hitting Safeties. A lot of them can't cover - a higher priority.

The elephant in the draft room, of course, is what if anything do we pick up in free agency. Byrd would be nice, especially since I suspect there won't be much in that category of the draft when our turn comes.
Offline beast  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, January 15, 2014 5:23:24 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 356
Applause Received: 410
Yeah I have a hard time accepting the fact that he will be the BPA. He may be the best S available but Ted almost never takes the player at a need position if someone considerably better is still on the board.

Ted Thompson 2nd picks often seem like a position of need and/or position that has an important FA that year or the next year at the same position.
Offline cheeseheads123  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, January 15, 2014 7:37:20 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 83
Applause Received: 164
texaspackerbacker said: Go to Quoted Post
At this early stage, it's mostly only relevant to consider positions. I'm glad to read they are saying Safety. I'm thankful it ain't TE. As for Pryor, my question is , can he cover? There's a reason the Packers tend to avoid hard hitting Safeties. A lot of them can't cover - a higher priority.

The elephant in the draft room, of course, is what if anything do we pick up in free agency. Byrd would be nice, especially since I suspect there won't be much in that category of the draft when our turn comes.

The jury is still out on whether or not he can cover. That is why I view Pryor as someone to trade up for in the second as of now.
Offline play2win  
#14 Posted : Thursday, January 16, 2014 6:37:50 AM(UTC)

United States
Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 724
DoddPower said: Go to Quoted Post
I'm continually becoming more and more infatuated with Ra'shede Hageman. He's so big and has the long arms necessary to excel as a defensive end in a 3-4, or on the inside. I'm definitely going to be keeping my eye on him.

Wow, DoddPower! Thanks for the headsup. This player looks phenomenal. I would love for Ted to pop on Jairus Byrd in FA, then draft this kid. Those two players added to our D could be a huge improvement.

We need Safety help so badly, but pounding the trenches early in the draft with top talent always makes sense.
Offline cheeseheads123  
#15 Posted : Thursday, January 16, 2014 10:37:53 AM(UTC)

Applause Given: 83
Applause Received: 164
At this time last year Kiper had the Packers taking Barrett Jones G/C Alabama
Rss Feed