Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline wpr  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 15, 2014 1:57:20 PM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 3,152
Applause Received: 1,522

Rob Demovsky wrote:
In last year's draft, there were two safeties off the board when it came time for the Green Bay Packers to pick at No. 26 in the first round.

So instead of taking Florida safety Matt Elam, who would end up going six picks later to the Baltimore Ravens, Packers general manager Ted Thompson opted for UCLA defensive end Datone Jones.

Thompson's decision not to address the safety position at all in the draft or free agency turned out to be a mistake that would end up costing the 2013 team.

While Kiper expects Alabama’s Ha Ha Clinton-Dix to be selected before the Packers pick, he has them taking Louisville safety Calvin Pryor.



Quote:
He has a reputation as a physical, hard-hitting safety – something the Packers have lacked in recent years.
love this.


Quote:
Pryor sat out one game last season because he was suspended for an unspecified violation of team rules.
oh oh. He's not Packer People.
UserPostedImage

"Will you follow me, one last time?" Thorin Oakenshield
Offline wpr  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 15, 2014 2:20:43 PM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 3,152
Applause Received: 1,522

Kiper may be on to something. Walters has Pryor listed at the 4th best Safety. A 2-3 round pick.
Cbs has him listed at #1 even in front of Clinton-Dix. A 1st or 2nd round pick.
SI has him going to GB in the first.

Which of course means Uncle Teddy will go another direction.
UserPostedImage

"Will you follow me, one last time?" Thorin Oakenshield
Offline Rockmolder  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 15, 2014 2:25:42 PM(UTC)
Rockmolder

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2010

Netherlands
Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 161
Applause Received: 263

Sounds quite early to draft Pryor to me, but if Kiper says so, I guess it will catch on with a lot of mock drafters soon enough, for no reason, really.

We'll see what he does at the combine. He has a real big chance to sneak into the 1st, but right now, the 21st pick seems like a bit of a reach.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Mucky Tundra on 1/15/2014(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 15, 2014 2:29:15 PM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 3,152
Applause Received: 1,522

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder Go to Quoted Post
Sounds quite early to draft Pryor to me, but if Kiper says so, I guess it will catch on with a lot of mock drafters soon enough, for no reason, really.

We'll see what he does at the combine. He has a real big chance to sneak into the 1st, but right now, the 21st pick seems like a bit of a reach.


Yeah I have a hard time accepting the fact that he will be the BPA. He may be the best S available but Ted almost never takes the player at a need position if someone considerably better is still on the board.
UserPostedImage

"Will you follow me, one last time?" Thorin Oakenshield
Offline steveishere  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 15, 2014 2:31:05 PM(UTC)
steveishere

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Joined: 7/28/2012(UTC)

Applause Given: 48
Applause Received: 981

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder Go to Quoted Post
Sounds quite early to draft Pryor to me, but if Kiper says so, I guess it will catch on with a lot of mock drafters soon enough, for no reason, really.

We'll see what he does at the combine. He has a real big chance to sneak into the 1st, but right now, the 21st pick seems like a bit of a reach.


A lot of the draft guys I follow on twitter seem to think he's 1st round quality and I've been seeing it before Kiper came out with his thing. There's really no reason at this point to think he's a reach in the first round. He's got the production and physical ability for it.
Offline nerdmann  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 15, 2014 2:32:48 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,714
Applause Received: 665

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
Kiper may be on to something. Walters has Pryor listed at the 4th best Safety. A 2-3 round pick.
Cbs has him listed at #1 even in front of Clinton-Dix. A 1st or 2nd round pick.
SI has him going to GB in the first.

Which of course means Uncle Teddy will go another direction.


Ted can be quite predictable at times. BJ Raji, AJ Hawk, Datone Jones, these guys were all projected to go to us even before the draft.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline wpr  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, January 15, 2014 3:04:29 PM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 3,152
Applause Received: 1,522

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Ted can be quite predictable at times. BJ Raji, AJ Hawk, Datone Jones, these guys were all projected to go to us even before the draft.


Hawk yes but that was a weak draft and there were not many choices for GB at #5. I saw as many for other players other than Raji. Jones no way. If you look at 100 predictions he was on less than half of them. Of course someone will get it right but he was not that predicable. Many said he was not a fit for GB 3-4.

Even if these 3 were all predicable. Out of 9 drafts guessing the first pick 3 times is not a shocker. Especially when you factor in the 1000 "experts" making their guesses.
UserPostedImage

"Will you follow me, one last time?" Thorin Oakenshield
Offline Bigbyfan  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, January 15, 2014 3:19:09 PM(UTC)
Bigbyfan

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 26
Applause Received: 81

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
Hawk yes but that was a weak draft and there were not many choices for GB at #5. I saw as many for other players other than Raji. Jones no way. If you look at 100 predictions he was on less than half of them. Of course someone will get it right but he was not that predicable. Many said he was not a fit for GB 3-4.

Even if these 3 were all predicable. Out of 9 drafts guessing the first pick 3 times is not a shocker. Especially when you factor in the 1000 "experts" making their guesses.


Not sure what draft sites you follow, but the majority I read had the Packers either taking Datone Jones or Lacy in the 1st round (Luckily we got both). There were some saying Elam/Cyprien however.

blank
Offline DoddPower  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, January 15, 2014 3:21:32 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States
Joined: 9/24/2007(UTC)
Location: Visalia, CA

Applause Given: 2,096
Applause Received: 530

I'm continually becoming more and more infatuated with Ra'shede Hageman. He's so big and has the long arms necessary to excel as a defensive end in a 3-4, or on the inside. I'm definitely going to be keeping my eye on him.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
wpr on 1/16/2014(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, January 15, 2014 4:13:46 PM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 3,152
Applause Received: 1,522

Originally Posted by: Bigbyfan Go to Quoted Post
Not sure what draft sites you follow, but the majority I read had the Packers either taking Datone Jones or Lacy in the 1st round (Luckily we got both). There were some saying Elam/Cyprien however.



fair question. Many of the links for last year are gone. I didn't say that I never saw anyone saying Jones would be with GB. Simply that there were a lot of other choices, including Lacy.

I did a quick google search. Went through 4 pages. I got 12 sites with 2013 mock drafts. Some of them had multiple people picking so I ended up with 22 first round selections for GB.

The picks were as follows:
Lacy 6 times.
Jones 3 times
TE- Eifert 3 times
FS Elam 2 times
1 time for the following:
OT- Watson; WR- Patterson, Hopkins, Woods; CB- Rhodes; DT- Williams; DE- Jordan and S- Vaccaro

You are correct when you add Lacy into the equation. But I am correct when I said Jones was not an overwhelming pick on his own.

The more common websites with a little credibility are:
Walter's- Jones
Draftek- Jones
Bleacher Report- Lacy (Ok some don't have that much credibility)
USA Today- Lacy
SI- Williams
Mayock- Lacy
TSN- Lacy
NY Daily News- Vaccaro

The other person to pick Jones was one of the 6 guys on NEPatriotsdraft.com.
FFToolbox.com had 6 picks also Lacy and Elam were tops.



UserPostedImage

"Will you follow me, one last time?" Thorin Oakenshield
thanks Post received 1 applause.
DoddPower on 1/16/2014(UTC)
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, January 15, 2014 4:29:54 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States
Joined: 3/4/2013(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 482
Applause Received: 292

At this early stage, it's mostly only relevant to consider positions. I'm glad to read they are saying Safety. I'm thankful it ain't TE. As for Pryor, my question is , can he cover? There's a reason the Packers tend to avoid hard hitting Safeties. A lot of them can't cover - a higher priority.

The elephant in the draft room, of course, is what if anything do we pick up in free agency. Byrd would be nice, especially since I suspect there won't be much in that category of the draft when our turn comes.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Online beast  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, January 15, 2014 5:23:24 PM(UTC)
beast

Rank: Pro Bowl

Joined: 10/5/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 262
Applause Received: 320

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
Yeah I have a hard time accepting the fact that he will be the BPA. He may be the best S available but Ted almost never takes the player at a need position if someone considerably better is still on the board.

Ted Thompson 2nd picks often seem like a position of need and/or position that has an important FA that year or the next year at the same position.
America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline cheeseheads123  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, January 15, 2014 7:37:20 PM(UTC)
cheeseheads123

Rank: 3rd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 9/28/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 72
Applause Received: 120

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
At this early stage, it's mostly only relevant to consider positions. I'm glad to read they are saying Safety. I'm thankful it ain't TE. As for Pryor, my question is , can he cover? There's a reason the Packers tend to avoid hard hitting Safeties. A lot of them can't cover - a higher priority.

The elephant in the draft room, of course, is what if anything do we pick up in free agency. Byrd would be nice, especially since I suspect there won't be much in that category of the draft when our turn comes.


The jury is still out on whether or not he can cover. That is why I view Pryor as someone to trade up for in the second as of now.
UserPostedImage
Offline play2win  
#14 Posted : Thursday, January 16, 2014 6:37:50 AM(UTC)
play2win

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 3/29/2012(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Originally Posted by: DoddPower Go to Quoted Post
I'm continually becoming more and more infatuated with Ra'shede Hageman. He's so big and has the long arms necessary to excel as a defensive end in a 3-4, or on the inside. I'm definitely going to be keeping my eye on him.


Wow, DoddPower! Thanks for the headsup. This player looks phenomenal. I would love for Ted to pop on Jairus Byrd in FA, then draft this kid. Those two players added to our D could be a huge improvement.

We need Safety help so badly, but pounding the trenches early in the draft with top talent always makes sense.
Offline cheeseheads123  
#15 Posted : Thursday, January 16, 2014 10:37:53 AM(UTC)
cheeseheads123

Rank: 3rd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 9/28/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 72
Applause Received: 120

At this time last year Kiper had the Packers taking Barrett Jones G/C Alabama
UserPostedImage
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#16 Posted : Thursday, January 16, 2014 11:25:14 AM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 9/26/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 13
Applause Received: 398

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
Yeah I have a hard time accepting the fact that he will be the BPA. He may be the best S available but Ted almost never takes the player at a need position if someone considerably better is still on the board.


I hate the BPA term. It is really BPAFP (Best player available for Packers). Need is always considered when ranking players. Players with more talent may be ranked lower than another if they play a position we don't need as bad. Ted's final board is a combination of so many factors.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#17 Posted : Thursday, January 16, 2014 11:43:46 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,968
Applause Received: 2,230

Packers should have selected Michael Crabtree and Vernon Davis. Stupid Ted Thompson. STUPID!! We all seen that Hawk would blow like Raji.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 2 applause.
buckeyepackfan on 1/16/2014(UTC), wpr on 1/16/2014(UTC)
Offline Rockmolder  
#18 Posted : Thursday, January 16, 2014 2:06:52 PM(UTC)
Rockmolder

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2010

Netherlands
Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 161
Applause Received: 263

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
A lot of the draft guys I follow on twitter seem to think he's 1st round quality and I've been seeing it before Kiper came out with his thing. There's really no reason at this point to think he's a reach in the first round. He's got the production and physical ability for it.


Do you have any sources for that?

Not that I don't trust you. Your posts are always insightful and I fully believe you, but I must've been looking at the wrong Mocks then and I always like to find some more draftnicks to follow.
UserPostedImage
Offline Rockmolder  
#19 Posted : Thursday, January 16, 2014 2:16:05 PM(UTC)
Rockmolder

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2010

Netherlands
Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 161
Applause Received: 263

Originally Posted by: DoddPower Go to Quoted Post
I'm continually becoming more and more infatuated with Ra'shede Hageman. He's so big and has the long arms necessary to excel as a defensive end in a 3-4, or on the inside. I'm definitely going to be keeping my eye on him.


If he falls to 21, there's no doubt in my mind we should take him... At this point. Maybe if he does horribly at the Combine that'll change. Can't imagine that happening, though.

Originally Posted by: cheeseheads123 Go to Quoted Post
At this time last year Kiper had the Packers taking Barrett Jones G/C Alabama


Ah, yeah, I remember that hype. Didn't he go in the 4th?

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins Go to Quoted Post
I hate the BPA term. It is really BPAFP (Best player available for Packers). Need is always considered when ranking players. Players with more talent may be ranked lower than another if they play a position we don't need as bad. Ted's final board is a combination of so many factors.


Maybe it is, but it shouldn't. I truly believe that, maybe except for STs and QB, you always go BPA, taking into consideration positional value.

That's how the Giants build that ridiculous DE nucleous, that's how the Lions built that D-line and that's how we build our WR to start with. Maybe it looks like overkill at some points, but I'd rather have 3 elite DEs that I can rotate, than 2 elite DEs and a good ILB.

But I agree with you, we draft BPAFP, as you coined it. That's how a guy like Cordarelle Patterson wasn't drafted last year. Or, at least, I think. I obviously can't look at the Packers bigboard.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
wpr on 1/16/2014(UTC)
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#20 Posted : Thursday, January 16, 2014 2:37:41 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 9/26/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 13
Applause Received: 398

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder Go to Quoted Post
That's how a guy like Cordarelle Patterson wasn't drafted last year. Or, at least, I think. I obviously can't look at the Packers bigboard.


Our defense would be just as bad, and I can only imagine what people would be saying had we drafted a WR in the first round last year.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
wpr on 1/16/2014(UTC)
Offline steveishere  
#21 Posted : Thursday, January 16, 2014 2:41:14 PM(UTC)
steveishere

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Joined: 7/28/2012(UTC)

Applause Given: 48
Applause Received: 981

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder Go to Quoted Post
Do you have any sources for that?

Not that I don't trust you. Your posts are always insightful and I fully believe you, but I must've been looking at the wrong Mocks then and I always like to find some more draftnicks to follow.


Not mocks just different draft bloggers I follow like Josh Norris, Dane Brugler, Matt Miller, Tony Pauline, Daniel Jeremiah. Pretty much everyone I've seen on my timeline loves Calvin Pryor as a prospect.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Rockmolder on 1/16/2014(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#22 Posted : Thursday, January 16, 2014 2:41:37 PM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 3,152
Applause Received: 1,522

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder Go to Quoted Post


Ah, yeah, I remember that hype. Didn't he go in the 4th?




He did. Barrett Jones to the Rams at 113 pick.
UserPostedImage

"Will you follow me, one last time?" Thorin Oakenshield
Offline steveishere  
#23 Posted : Thursday, January 16, 2014 2:59:42 PM(UTC)
steveishere

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Joined: 7/28/2012(UTC)

Applause Given: 48
Applause Received: 981

http://draftbreakdown.co...n-pryor-vs-rutgers-2013/

Here's some vid of pryor if anyone cares
Offline Yerko  
#24 Posted : Thursday, January 16, 2014 3:35:30 PM(UTC)
Yerko

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 10/15/2008(UTC)
Location: Chicago, IL

Applause Given: 160
Applause Received: 263

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
http://draftbreakdown.com/video/calvin-pryor-vs-rutgers-2013/

Here's some vid of pryor if anyone cares


Watching the video against Rutgers, his latest game...didn't seem very impressive. He filled some gaps on the running game but most of those tackles are shoelace tackles that won't work in the NFL. There were a few passing plays where it looked like he was the one who blew coverage as well. He can tackle the WRs but almost every tackle he made was with his head down which can either be penalized or lead to him getting injured frequently.

Maybe I'm wrong. I'm no Mel Kiper...but if I was given THAT game to watch and had to make a decision, I wouldn't put out a 1st round pick on him. I'd defer my 1st round pick, trade up in the 2nd and get him there.

Him vs Ha'Sean Clinton-Dix doesn't even seem like a question so I am assuming Kiper has someone taking him before the 21st pick.
UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#25 Posted : Thursday, January 16, 2014 3:39:49 PM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 3,152
Applause Received: 1,522

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder Go to Quoted Post
Do you have any sources for that?

Not that I don't trust you. Your posts are always insightful and I fully believe you, but I must've been looking at the wrong Mocks then and I always like to find some more draftnicks to follow.


I was wandering around the web looking at different mock drafts when I came to this site. They have links to over 100 other sites and their drafts.

I will make a couple of comments.

First I don't know how long the links will stay up. This host site is looking for payola to keep them on.

Second Rocky you may know more than some of these people who posts their picks.

Third This is at a Washington Redskins site so not all of the "drafts" complete the first round.

From what I have seen from these links which I only did about 20 of them and a few others before I found this place, TE Amaro is the first choice. LB Mosley is second. Defense is overwhelmingly the way people expect GB to go with 60% of the guesses going to a defensive player. LB 6 DL 6 DB 4
UserPostedImage

"Will you follow me, one last time?" Thorin Oakenshield
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Mucky Tundra on 1/16/2014(UTC)
Rss Feed 
Users browsing this topic
Guest
2 Pages12>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error

Tweeter

Recent Topics
12m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / texaspackerbacker

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Laser Gunns

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nyrpack

26-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

26-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

26-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / rabidgopher04

26-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

26-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann