wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
10 years ago

Whether it was actually the chicken or the egg that came first is the question that has perplexed the greatest scholars — including us who follow the Green Bay Packers. All kidding aside, and now that the Packers' season is finished,  I am perplexed with a very similar question regarding the defense. Is the

LombardiAve  wrote:

UserPostedImage
DakotaT
10 years ago
We've been over this enough haven't we? 1st mistake was going into the season without addressing the safety position, 2nd mistake was relying on Pickett and Raji to anchor down the d-line, third problem was something you can't prepare for - Matthews injury and other guys' injuries, and in my opinion the fourth mistake is never making any coaching changes. These guys for some reason have job security under TT/MM. Can anyone make a case for Trgvac (sp) still having a job after the epic failure that is BJ Raji? I mean we are talking about a physical freak of nature that was allowed to become a walking pile of shit as a football player. That is unacceptable in my opinion. Should Perry, our safety coach still have a job? Yeah, losing Collins really hurt, but he's paid to bring along whatever talent we have, and I'm sorry but Morgan Burnett regressed this season and M.D. Jennings shouldn't even be wearing a professional football jersey.

We have a lot of problems on our defense, and they were exposed pretty badly this season. But the silver lining is that we seem to have found a power running game - which will become our 12th man on defense in the future.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
10 years ago
Ted Thompson. He failed to sign big name free agents that would solidify depth on defense. No more excuses.
UserPostedImage
RaiderPride
10 years ago
Right where the buck stops... That is where the blame lays.

I love Ted.

But the fact is he is responsible for it all.
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
coltonja
10 years ago
I definitely agree with you guys in saying the blame has to begin and end with Thompson. Although Dom's scheme is not the greatest in the league and may falter even with better talent, the fact of the matter is we don't stack up with the likes of the '9ers or Seahawks.

Our mlb's are not playmakers, both safety positions did not produce(as we have discussed a lot here) and we had absolutely nothing most of the season with olb's. Some of that was due to injury, sure. But the depth of talent we have is incredibly lacking. I love our CB's, even though I felt they had a down year. We need some attitude and dudes that will lay the wood- I'm so desperate I will even take a dirty defense- somebody just hit someone!
UserPostedImage
Thanks to pack93z for the sig!!!
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

We've been over this enough haven't we? 1st mistake was going into the season without addressing the safety position, 2nd mistake was relying on Pickett and Raji to anchor down the d-line, third problem was something you can't prepare for - Matthews injury and other guys' injuries, and in my opinion the fourth mistake is never making any coaching changes. These guys for some reason have job security under TT/MM. Can anyone make a case for Trgvac (sp) still having a job after the epic failure that is BJ Raji? I mean we are talking about a physical freak of nature that was allowed to become a walking pile of shit as a football player. That is unacceptable in my opinion. Should Perry, our safety coach still have a job? Yeah, losing Collins really hurt, but he's paid to bring along whatever talent we have, and I'm sorry but Morgan Burnett regressed this season and M.D. Jennings shouldn't even be wearing a professional football jersey.

We have a lot of problems on our defense, and they were exposed pretty badly this season. But the silver lining is that we seem to have found a power running game - which will become our 10th man on defense in the future.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

Good Analysis. When you stick to football, you actually have a lick of sense.

The article was pretty fair and balanced, but it left out the factor of position coaches, as well as the non-injured players who failed so miserably. Of course, Thompson deserves a lot of blame. However, going all in on big name free agents isn't the complete answer either. Drafting better is as much or more needed. As for Capers, most of his critics have it all wrong. It'[s NOT his schemes and strategies. They kept us close in difficult circumstances. The share of blame Capers gets is personnel - sticking with Raji and Pickett as starters at the top of the list. Also sitting Lattimore in favor of Jones, and whatever might have been done at Safety - Hyde there or whatever.

10th man on Defense? You mean we have only been playing with nine hahahaha? That might explain things.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
nerdmann
10 years ago

I definitely agree with you guys in saying the blame has to begin and end with Thompson. Although Dom's scheme is not the greatest in the league and may falter even with better talent, the fact of the matter is we don't stack up with the likes of the '9ers or Seahawks.

Our mlb's are not playmakers, both safety positions did not produce(as we have discussed a lot here) and we had absolutely nothing most of the season with olb's. Some of that was due to injury, sure. But the depth of talent we have is incredibly lacking. I love our CB's, even though I felt they had a down year. We need some attitude and dudes that will lay the wood- I'm so desperate I will even take a dirty defense- somebody just hit someone!

Originally Posted by: coltonja 

Talent wise, we match up with any team in the league in all three phases.

PROBLEM: We can't keep them on the field. That last playoff game came down to THE LAST SECOND. Anyone doubt we win that game if we don't lose Shields AND Neal on the FIRST DRIVE? Now how about if you add Clay to the Mix.

Let's say we never lost Aaron, and we went 12-4. We're not even PLAYING that week. We're resting. How about Jermicheal Finley? Might have helped us out a bit, no?

And talk all you want about "not replacing Nick Collins." But the fact is, Ted GOT us Nick Collins. Once in a generation talent. What happened? Another sickening injury.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
steveishere
10 years ago
A majority of the blame is injuries. So if you want to blame just 1 thing that would be it. It may not be a top 5 defense fully healthy but it would still be pretty good.
10 years ago
Its tough when you add all these injures to this defense that has been in rebuilding mode since 11'.
UserPostedImage
TheKanataThrilla
10 years ago
To me it is a toss up, is it the lack of playmakers at safety or is it the lack of push of our DL? Both need a severe infusion of talent. To second Dakota's comment, how do some of these positional coaches still have a job? When a player like Raji regresses from a pro-bowl player to a waste of space (and not in a good way) where is the fire under his ass?
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (4h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (4h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.