Rockmolder
10 years ago
Rumours about the Packers from Walterfootball :

The Green Bay Packers have their defense as the priority of their offseason. It sounds as though Green Bay is more inclined to draft for defense early rather than offensive players like a new tight end or offensive line help. Sources with the Packers say they want to improve the speed and playmaking ability on their defense. Getting their defense more dynamic and faster is a top priority of their offseason according to sources.

The Packers are also interested in Stanford outside linebacker Trent Murphy . Green Bay has some edge rushers in Clay Matthews and Nick Perry, but both players have dealt with injuries. Murphy (6-5, 252) fits the mold as an edge rusher in their defense as he led the nation with 15 sacks last season. If Murphy falls to their second-round pick, that would be ideal for Green Bay.

Rumours involving the Packers from NFL Trade rumours :

A Packers scout reportedly mentioned that “based on what I’m seeing Tahj Boyd  is not draftable."

Tony Pauline added that Boyd’s showing on Monday “Ugly” as he “makes receivers work too hard to catch the ball.”

Not totally Packers related, a part from it being our scout, but that guy had some momentum going at one point. He's compared to Russell Wilson on the CBS site (take that with a grain of salt), but he's having a rough time right now.

Players who the Packers have had meetings  with:

Tre Boston, S, North Carolina (East-West Shrine game)
Max Bullough , LB , Michigan State (East-West Shrine game)
Trent Murphy , DL, Stanford (Very interested, nothing about where they've had a meeting. I'd assume the Senior Bowl)

I've decided to add some mock drafts to see who the draftnicks have the Packers taking:

[list]
  • Row12 (Our very own Porky88)  - C.J. Mosley, ILB, Alabama 
  • Walter Football (Walter)  - Ra'Shede Hageman, DE/DT, Minnesota 
  • Walter Football (Charlie Campbell)  - Calvin Pryor, S, Louisville 
  • NFL.com (Daniel Jeremiah)  - Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama 
  • NFL.com (Bucky Brooks)  - Louis Nix III, NT, Notre Dame [/list]

This is all I have time for right now. I'll add some others when I get the chance.

Updated 22-01
    musccy
    10 years ago

the Packers say they want to improve the speed and playmaking ability on their defense. Getting their defense more dynamic and faster is a top priority of their offseason according to sources.

hasn't this been a point of emphasis for a long time for this defense?
    texaspackerbacker
    10 years ago
    Murphy seems like a good player, but I don't really like the concept of taking college DEs and using them as OLBs. That's Nick Perry; Murphy may be better than Perry, but he's still basically the same situation. Clay Matthews is an example of a LB being used as a LB. Most of the good pass rushing OLBs as well as ILBs around the league are like that: successful and athletic college LBs, not converted DEs. We need more athleticism at LB.

The rumors above are good, though, in that they identify the two top areas of need: OLB and Safety, not necessarily in that order. I would add ILB to that.

One more thing, especially with regard to the talking and interviewing thing: I wish we wouldn't limit ourselves so much with "good character"/"Packer way" type players. Sometimes you can get a guy and make him better in that category. Look at Shields, for example, and a lot of others from other teams. Who would we rather have? a Richard Sherman? or say a Davon House?
    Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
    If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
    steveishere
    10 years ago

Murphy seems like a good player, but I don't really like the concept of taking college DEs and using them as OLBs. That's Nick Perry; Murphy may be better than Perry, but he's still basically the same situation. Clay Matthews is an example of a LB being used as a LB. Most of the good pass rushing OLBs as well as ILBs around the league are like that: successful and athletic college LBs, not converted DEs. We need more athleticism at LB.

The rumors above are good, though, in that they identify the two top areas of need: OLB and Safety, not necessarily in that order. I would add ILB to that.

One more thing, especially with regard to the talking and interviewing thing: I wish we wouldn't limit ourselves so much with "good character"/"Packer way" type players. Sometimes you can get a guy and make him better in that category. Look at Shields, for example, and a lot of others from other teams. Who would we rather have? a Richard Sherman? or say a Davon House?

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

Aldon Smith - college DE
    Robert Mathis - college and NFL DE
    Tamba Hali - college DE
    Elvis Dumervil - college DE
    Terrell Suggs - college DE
    Lamarr Woodley - college DE/LB
    Von Miller - college DE/LB
    Brian Orakpo - college DE

Richard Sherman isn't really a bad character person and as far as I know wasn't coming out of college. We've got guys on the team who were much worse character guys than Sherman anyway.
    Bigbyfan
    10 years ago

Aldon Smith - college DE
    Tamba Hali - college DE

Richard Sherman isn't really a bad character person and as far as I know wasn't coming out of college. We've got guys on the team who were much worse character guys than Sherman anyway.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

Add DeMarcus Ware to that list.

Sherman isn't a bad guy. You never hear a single bad word about him from any of his teammates. I have yet to see him play dirty either. He is just a guy who likes to talk, be heard, and does not give a damn what anybody outside of his locker room feels about it.

I would love to have players like Sherman our team. Maybe our defense would actually look like they give a shit. I'm sure most of the people on this forum would hate to have someone like him, considering the outrage caused by any little comment made by a player that isn't completely cliche or politically correct.

blank
    DoddPower
    10 years ago

hasn't this been a point of emphasis for a long time for this defense?

Originally Posted by: musccy 

I would think that would pretty much be a priority every off season. For both sides of the ball. Generic statement, but it's good to hear all the same. Hopefully it actually happens.

Zero2Cool
    10 years ago

You never hear a single bad word about him from any of his teammates. I have yet to see him play dirty either. He is just a guy who likes to talk, be heard, and does not give a damn what anybody outside of his locker room feels about it.

Originally Posted by: Bigbyfan 

hasn't stopped the masses from blasting Jermichael Finley.
    UserPostedImage
    Bigbyfan
    10 years ago

hasn't stopped the masses from blasting Jermichael Finley.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Exactly my point. People want our team to have an attitude or swagger on the field, but blast them when they show even a little of it in an interview.

blank
    nerdmann
    10 years ago

Exactly my point. People want our team to have an attitude or swagger on the field, but blast them when they show even a little of it in an interview.

Originally Posted by: Bigbyfan 

If a player wants to talk shit, that's fine. But produce on the field. Finley came out every year saying he was going to "take over" the league, and did not impress.

Sure, this past year he was looking better before he went down. But that's not how good he always looked.
    “Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
    beast
    10 years ago

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

Yeah you're mistaken about a couple of things there...

Murphy was a college 3-4 OLB in college, just like Matthews, not a 4-3 DE like Perry.

But Stanford goes to a 4 man front (just like the Packers) when they put in nickel and Murphy was used as a 4-2 DE then.

Most are listing Murphy as a DE because they think his future in the NFL is as a 4-3 DE, because some have questioned if he's athletic enough to be a 3-4 OLB at the NFL level, while I haven't seen anyone question weather he seems tough enough / physical enough to be a 4-3 DE as those are his strength. I've seen someone some compare him to Justin Smith, thinking he could become a very athletic 3-4 DE like Justin Smith if any 3-4 team was brave enough to try it, as he plays with the same physical style of play and toughness that Smith does. I'm not sure if I'd go that far but I find the idea interesting.

Also Steveishere is right a lot of the best pass rushing 3-4 OLBers were pass rushing college DEs.

3-4 OLB ask guys to read the field, pass rush and the edge to their side. Most college OLBers are 4-3 OLB and most 4-3 OLB aren't used to pass rush or hold the edge nearly as much as 4-3 DEs are. Which makes 4-3 DE and 3-4 OLB sort of the same thing as they're edge guys protecting/attacking the edge... while 4-3 OLB aren't asked to nearly as much.

I looked up the NFL sacks list, and of the OLB with over 8 sacks this last season, I only saw two that I have found were a LB for more than one year in college.

Justin Houston who was a 3-4 OLB in college.

Ahmad Brooks who was a 3-4 OLB in college.

The other 10 (or so) OLBers with 8 sacks or more this last season were on the DL in college.

Problem is most colleges use 4-3 systems instead of 3-4 systems... so 3-4 teams have to look for 4-3 DEs which are used to handling the guy duties but can also pick up the LB system, as most of the 4-3 OLB can't pick up the edge duties.

Aldon Smith - college DE
    Tamba Hali - college DE

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

UserPostedImage
    Fan Shout
    Zero2Cool (6h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
    Zero2Cool (6h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
    wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
    Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
    wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
    Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
    Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
    Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
    wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
    Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
    Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
    Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
    Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
    Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
    Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
    Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
    Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
    wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
    wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
    wpr (17-Mar) : INI
    wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
    Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
    Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
    Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
    Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
    dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
    Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
    Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
    dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
    dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
    dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
    dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
    dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
    Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
    Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
    Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
    Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
    Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
    dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
    dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
    Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
    Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
    Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
    Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
    Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
    Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
    Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
    dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
    Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
    Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
    Please sign in to use Fan Shout
    2023 Packers Schedule
    Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
    Bears
    Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
    Falcons
    Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
    SAINTS
    Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
    LIONS
    Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
    Raiders
    Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
    Broncos
    Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
    VIKINGS
    Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
    RAMS
    Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
    Steelers
    Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
    CHARGERS
    Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
    Lions
    Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
    CHIEFS
    Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
    Giants
    Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
    BUCCANEERS
    Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
    Panthers
    Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
    Vikings
    Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
    BEARS
    Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
    Cowboys
    Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
    49ers
    Recent Topics
    3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
    Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.