Laser Gunns
10 years ago

Byrd's agent is floating out 9 million dollars per year as a "You Have Him investment." That is a ton of monies.

Jarrett Bush in the secondary will be getting 1.5 million.

So... doing the math 9 million for Byrd and 1.5 million for Bush.

The question is... Is a Byrd in the hand worth six in the Bush.

Tough call.

Originally Posted by: RaiderPride 

I'm inclined to believe that with pass rush, comes better safety play.

That should be priority #1.

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
play2win
10 years ago

Byrd's agent is floating out 9 million dollars per year as a "You Have Him investment." That is a ton of monies.

Tough call.

I love it. Well done RaiderPride! Yeah, I do think he is worth it. If we could afford $11M for Charles, we can certainly afford $9M for Jairus Byrd. We have $26M in cap room. We can easily do this, and still sign Jordy next year, and Shields this year.

Pass rush should improve with Datone Jones and Josh Boyd entering their 2nd years. I'm sure we will add to them in the draft.

PackFanWithTwins,
I do think we can win with a top S talent like Byrd added to our D. We will be adding pass rush this draft, I'm sure of it. DL, OLB, ILB. If we sign a S like Byrd, it would really put us in a position to win, absolutely. Since we lost Nick Collins, we've been one of the sorriest defenses in the NFL. Our explosive plays given up are far in excess. We must add top S play to this defense, to get ourselves back to where we want to be.

With a more stout D, some ball hawking, and some solid coverage, we will be able to win many of those important games we lost. We just need to get off the field and get the ball back into Aaron & Eddie's hands… I don't think we are that far away, but we've got to get better players in these positions: S, DL, OLB, ILB.

(Now I have to vent)

I do think this is all wasted energy though. Sadly enough. Ted will never pull that trigger. I am really getting down on him for not using all the means at his disposal to improve this team. And, I'm a big Ted fan, but this has been disheartening. I am seeing wasted opportunities every year. Meanwhile, we stick with subpar players because they are our own: Finley (really, a TE who always proclaimed himself a top talent and never, ever really was. Never led the league at his position, never really cracked the top 5), Mike Neal, Brad Jones, AJ Hawk (yeah, he was improved this year, but from two hellacious seasons in a row 2011-2012). Why MD Jennings had a job in Green Bay this season is beyond me. He sucked last year, and didn't show any improvement, at all, this year. He actually was worse!

CJ Wilson? For the love of God!!!

Cut these players that don't produce! Don't re-sign them! WTF, Ted?!!

For the last 3 years we have been entering our off seasons in need of improved talent at Safety, DL, OLB, ILB. We kept MD Jennings, we drafted Datone Jones in the 1st Round, then didn't play him, we were forced to play UDFA Andy Mulumba because we can't keep another 1st Round pick, Nick Perry healthy, and we can't keep Clay Matthews healthy either. Can't keep the completely lost in coverage Brad Jones healthy either. Giant elephant in the room AJ Hawk has been slowing, took a pay cut, always shows up though and keeps his job, because he can set up our D and make the calls, for one of the NFL's worst defenses… Go figure that one.

This front office needs to get their shit together, and start adding some top talent, and cutting off the players who aren't getting the job done. And, they need to better prepare their players, keep them healthy and do a better job of putting them into positions for success. This personnel staff and this coaching staff has a responsibility to do a better job, if we are to truly contend again.

Add the Safety Byrd, and there is one piece of the puzzle addressed. A really important one. Do we want a rookie learning from a struggling Morgan Burnett? Put a solid… no, one of the best Safeties in the NFL next to him. Keep Sean Richardson as a backup and 3rd S. Done. Next.

I'm really tired of Ted fucking around with this. I would love to see him make a change here, a change in his philosophy. Adding Woodson and Pickett in Free Agency was a very important part of us winning SB XLV. Those two players helped to keep us competitive, contenders. Another top FA signing or two could do the same. This isn't a bad team, they just need some help. Veteran help. Tramon Williams said it himself. He knows. Change. Adjust. Make it happen Ted. Find the very best FAs to help your team, and get them signed! Bite the bullet, while you have Aaron Rodgers. Win some Championships eh!

Thank you to my friends here at PackersHome for allowing me to vent... this has been driving me freaking nuts.
play2win
10 years ago

I'm inclined to believe that with pass rush, comes better safety play.

That should be priority #1.

Originally Posted by: Laser Gunns 

I would guess that LeRoy Butler would disagree. You can't put a hack back there and expect solid coverage, even with a top pass rush. And, MD Jennings is a hack. Why he was back there this season I will never know. He was awful.

Of course a good pass rush will help any secondary, but it won't help MD Jennings. 0 passes defensed. 0 INTs in 2013. 17 games. wow. And, we ranked #8 in the NFL in sacks this season with 44. We ranked #4 in the NFL in sacks in 2012 with 47.

In 3 seasons MD Jennings has 1 INT and 2 passes defensed. Three seasons. 50 games including the playoffs. 1 INT and 2 passes defensed.

Reminds me of that show… LOST IN SPACE! "Warning, Warning! Danger, Danger!"
luigis
10 years ago

Tough call.

Bush playing value tends to zero so if Byrd can produce an infinitisimal contribution then his value tends to infinite.

Since 9mill < infinite then the answer to your question is Yes.

Luis
dhazer
10 years ago
$9 Million isn't that much seeing we are paying Tramon $7.5 million this year.

If his contract remains unchanged for next season, Williams would be tied for the fifth-highest paid cornerback in the NFL based on players currently under contract for next season. He would rank behind only Tampa Bay's Darrelle Revis ($16 million), Denver's Champ Bailey ($10 million), the Jets' Antonio Cromartie ($9.5 million) and St. Louis' Cortland Finnegan ($9 millio

So I can see us restructuring Williams to free up more space. This is the fun time of year because it's ike Christmas until the Grinch (TT) steals all of our dreams of a top FA.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
play2win
10 years ago
Too funny dhazer. It could be great. Maybe it will. Have to see how the offseason plays out.
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

Tough call.

If that's true, it's not a tough call at all. Byrd is a bargain at that price. He's what? 26 years old? 2 times in the Pro Bowl? That's less than Woodson who was a lot older; It's a lot less than several other DBs mentioned above. A $9 million a year contract, especially for a relatively young guy, can be structured to keep the cap number way down - maybe $4-5 million.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
DarkaneRules
10 years ago
I get the feeling he gets the franchise tag.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
DoddPower
10 years ago
I really don't understand the love for Richardson at safety, at all. I understand he's no MD Jennings, which that in and of itself is a huge positive. But I still haven't seen much positive from the guy. He looks like an average 3rd or 4th string safety AT BEST. I understand he's coming off an injury and all that, but still. If the Packers go into next season expecting Richardson to be an effective starting safety, it's going to be another long year of safety play. I suppose he could make an astronomical jump this off season, but that seems highly unlikely to me. In reality, he'll probably improve a little, and still be an average back up safety, at best. Personally, I thought Banjo looked a little better, and even that wasn't great. The Packers have to get substantially better at that position unless they find a way to have four elite pass rushers, which obviously isn't going to happen either.

There's not a safety on the Packers roster that should be starting other than Burnett, and he's only average, too. The Packers need to find their number one safety, because right now, they don't have one.
nerdmann
10 years ago

I really don't understand the love for Richardson at safety, at all. I understand he's no MD Jennings, which that in and of itself is a huge positive. But I still haven't seen much positive from the guy. He looks like an average 3rd or 4th string safety AT BEST. I understand he's coming off an injury and all that, but still. If the Packers go into next season expecting Richardson to be an effective starting safety, it's going to be another long year of safety play. I suppose he could make an astronomical jump this off season, but that seems highly unlikely to me. In reality, he'll probably improve a little, and still be an average back up safety, at best. Personally, I thought Banjo looked a little better, and even that wasn't great. The Packers have to get substantially better at that position unless they find a way to have four elite pass rushers, which obviously isn't going to happen either.

There's not a safety on the Packers roster that should be starting other than Burnett, and he's only average, too. The Packers need to find their number one safety, because right now, they don't have one.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

He can play at the LoS and stuff the run. Then again, with his spinal history that could be an injury waiting to happen.

Anyway, he still hasn't had a real TC, iirc.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (1h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (2h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (12h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (19h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (20h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (20h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.