QCHuskerFan
10 years ago
Disagree that Packers youth is excuse for D. Starting LB corps averaged 5 seasons of experience. DB's were 4.5 years. DL was 7 years average experience. Hyde was the only rookie among the true 2 deep, if I recall correctly. Only 2 starters were even in their 2nd year, Daniels and Perry.

Youth is not the problem. Talent and health are the problems. In my opinion.
buckeyepackfan
10 years ago

All the more reason to add a veteran presence on D, maybe two. Players who are top talents that know the game and have the experience. They know how to prepare, how to commit themselves to film study, and how to break down an opponent's intentions in real time before the snap.

I think this is exactly what Tramon Williams was alluding to when he said we are too young. Many of our players are learning the way from other young, inexperienced players, looking to win a job. This, to me, is a big flaw in the D & D system. You can't keep stacking young draftees and UDFAs onto your team and expect them to rise to the top, without solid veterans to show them the way.

Brad Jones would be considered a veteran player, so is MD Jennings in Capers' eyes. Both players are not very good players at their respective positions. And, now we have other young talents hoping to win a job away from players like this, players who simply don't get the job done to varying degrees. So, how high is the bar then?

Ted needs to add two top talents to our D. S and OLB would be perfect positions to add them, and rather than waste precious cap dollars retaining our own players who are part of the problem, just because they are ours, we should be looking for better options and doing everything we can to sign them, including cutting away the poor decisions we have made previously, even if we have to take a cap hit. Cut our losses, and add better talent through all the means at our disposal: FA, trade and the draft.

Brad Jones $12M over 3 years
Morgan Burnett $24M over 4 years

In hindsight, those are looking like some pretty big miscues in cap management and player procurement. Neither player is living up to his contract. Looking back, I didn't expect Burnett to fall off the face of the earth at SS. I wonder where he ranks in the NFL...

Ted offered $8M per year to BJ Raji. That appears to have been a big mistake, one that we are not suffering for because Raji turned it down. We got lucky, but I wonder still if he won't be re-signed.

Mistakes have been made, no doubt. Time to right the ship.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

This all comes back to the same problem, Jones and Burnette did have down years, but just how healthy were they?

When they were in the lineup, what other starters were not there?

I'll say this till I turn blue, there were many games where THE OFFENSE did not do The defense any favors!!!!!!!
I don't care who you are, if you're offense continually goes 3 and out, 3 and out, 3 and out, sooner or later The defense is going to break down.

Why was the offense so bad at times? BECAUSE OF INJURIES!!!!!!!!

When "next man up" becomes "who the hell is left standing", that's when a team is in real trouble.

Since some here will take The Thanksgiving Day game and use it as "the norm", just look at what the defense did in the 1st half.

Created turnover after turnover, scored, and yet by the end of the game, because the offense was so anemic, it looked as if The defense was a complete siv the whole game.

Now all these Packer reporters are calling for Ted to "do this" and "do that" and Free agency is the only answer, or "draft this guy because he can be immediate help"

Free Agency is such a crapshoot, more times than not, teams get buried by paying a FA big money and watching him not perform, or maybe that player really wasn't a good fit to the system, but hey at least "we signed a FA".

Banking on a draft pick, ANY DRAFT PICK, to step in immediately and start is just "wishing in one hand and hoping in the other".

When it happens (IE: Eddie Lacy) it's a great thing, but there are NO GUARANTEES.

What is the 1st and NUMBER ONE thing ANY rookie must learn?????
(I'll see if anyone knows the answer)

Ted Thompson IS ONE OF THE BEST in the league at what he does, from year to year he supplies The Packers with what he determines are the guys who will keep The team competitive.

Just so happens 2013 was not a "normal year", and yet after 16 regular season games, what team was in the playoffs?

The Burnette and Jones signings can not be called mistakes after just one year.

Especially after a year like 2013.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
play2win
10 years ago

This all comes back to the same problem, Jones and Burnette did have down years, but just how healthy were they?

When they were in the lineup, what other starters were not there?

I'll say this till I turn blue, there were many games where THE OFFENSE did not do The defense any favors!!!!!!!
I don't care who you are, if you're offense continually goes 3 and out, 3 and out, 3 and out, sooner or later The defense is going to break down.

Why was the offense so bad at times? BECAUSE OF INJURIES!!!!!!!!

When "next man up" becomes "who the hell is left standing", that's when a team is in real trouble.

Since some here will take The Thanksgiving Day game and use it as "the norm", just look at what the defense did in the 1st half.

Created turnover after turnover, scored, and yet by the end of the game, because the offense was so anemic, it looked as if The defense was a complete siv the whole game.

Now all these Packer reporters are calling for Ted to "do this" and "do that" and Free agency is the only answer, or "draft this guy because he can be immediate help"

Free Agency is such a crapshoot, more times than not, teams get buried by paying a FA big money and watching him not perform, or maybe that player really wasn't a good fit to the system, but hey at least "we signed a FA".

Banking on a draft pick, ANY DRAFT PICK, to step in immediately and start is just "wishing in one hand and hoping in the other".

When it happens (IE: Eddie Lacy) it's a great thing, but there are NO GUARANTEES.

What is the 1st and NUMBER ONE thing ANY rookie must learn?????
(I'll see if anyone knows the answer)

Ted Thompson IS ONE OF THE BEST in the league at what he does, from year to year he supplies The Packers with what he determines are the guys who will keep The team competitive.

Just so happens 2013 was not a "normal year", and yet after 16 regular season games, what team was in the playoffs?

The Burnette and Jones signings can not be called mistakes after just one year.

Especially after a year like 2013.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

BS. The Jones signing was a mistake the day Ted signed him. I still cannot believe it.

Morgan Burnett was a pick machine in college. He has shown himself to be regressing. I did say "in hindsight…" No one expected him to fall so hard, and to not get a single pick in 2013. But, when you pony up $6M per year…. I think it is fair game to call that one a mistake after the year he had, and I'm hoping he turns it around.

And, this talk about Ted Thompson being some kind of draft god… I mean, really? I like the guy too, but he has whiffed on a number of players. We have been in need of a solid, quality Safety since Nick Collins went down in 2011… still waiting. Some here fail to recognize how important the position is, including Ted.

You point to the offense being the problem with all of the 3 and outs. Yeah, I agree there. To me, this isn't about Ted, alone, or Dom, or Mike, or certain players. It is about all of them. Blame is shared team wide for this inability to compete.

I mean "inability" too, because we've shown that we don't belong with the group of players and coaches we have, against the likes of SF, CIN, SEA. Training staff can't keep the players healthy. We get 12 men on the field penalties, twice in a row. How the hell does that happen? We've had position groups that have been in need of upgrades for years, the same ones, year after year, and we put our green and gold glasses on and talk about how great our GM is at finding talent, blah, blah, blah. Never signs a significant FA talent to help a position group in the last 7 years. Doesn't make a trade for one either. Just drafts, and drafts, and drafts, and drafts, and drafts…

Half of the 10 defenders drafted in 2011 and 2012 aren't even on the team anymore. 1 of the 10, Mike Daniels, made a significant contribution last season. One.

And, don't forget we made the playoffs in one of the worst divisions in the NFL, without a winning record. But, yeah Buckeye, blow that horn! Tell us all how great this team is… how none of us has a clue about the standing of this team we root for and follow in ernest.

"…just how healthy were they?" Well, they weren't. And, what is Mike McCarthy doing about that? Nothing that I've seen or heard. No change in one of the worst strength and conditioning staffs in the NFL. Nada. Must be dumb luck I guess…again, for like, the sixth year in a row the Packers are one of the most injured teams in the league. Let's make sure we keep that staff together. They are our guys after all. Don't need to fire anyone there, that's for sure.

Blame stretches far and wide in this organization for our failures in putting a truly competitive team out onto the field. If we see there are recurring problems not being addressed on this team, well, yeah, they should be addressed. And, to me, there are quite a lot.

I was embarrassed by that playoff loss to SF on our own field, in the winter. Should never happen. I was embarrassed that we looked like a bunch of ass clowns against DET on Thanksgiving Day. I don't see anywhere in this forum where another poster is using that as a norm. As a fan and stockholder, I have a right to not like what they did there and through much of this last season, and to express my concerns about how this team is prepared, coached, and assembled.

Regardless, there are encouraging signs with many players on this team. I'd love to see Hayward back in the mix at DB, along with full seasons from Matthews and Perry. Looking forward to seeing Datone Jones, Josh Boyd and David Bakhtiari develop in year two. This team has talent and promise. I'd just like to see them get to the next level.
buckeyepackfan
10 years ago

BS. The Jones signing was a mistake the day Ted signed him. I still cannot believe it.

Morgan Burnett was a pick machine in college. He has shown himself to be regressing. I did say "in hindsight…" No one expected him to fall so hard, and to not get a single pick in 2013. But, when you pony up $6M per year…. I think it is fair game to call that one a mistake after the year he had, and I'm hoping he turns it around.

And, this talk about Ted Thompson being some kind of draft god… I mean, really? I like the guy too, but he has whiffed on a number of players. We have been in need of a solid, quality Safety since Nick Collins went down in 2011… still waiting. Some here fail to recognize how important the position is, including Ted.

You point to the offense being the problem with all of the 3 and outs. Yeah, I agree there. To me, this isn't about Ted, alone, or Dom, or Mike, or certain players. It is about all of them. Blame is shared team wide for this inability to compete.

WELL THEN FUCKING FIRE THEM ALL!!!!!!!!!

I mean "inability" too, because we've shown that we don't belong with the group of players and coaches we have, against the likes of SF, CIN, SEA. Training staff can't keep the players healthy. We get 12 men on the field penalties, twice in a row. How the hell does that happen? We've had position groups that have been in need of upgrades for years, the same ones, year after year, and we put our green and gold glasses on and talk about how great our GM is at finding talent, blah, blah, blah. Never signs a significant FA talent to help a position group in the last 7 years. Doesn't make a trade for one either. Just drafts, and drafts, and drafts, and drafts, and drafts…

WELL THEN FUCKING FIRE TED THOMPSON!!!!!!@

Half of the 10 defenders drafted in 2011 and 2012 aren't even on the team anymore. 1 of the 10, Mike Daniels, made a significant contribution last season. One.

And, don't forget we made the playoffs in one of the worst divisions in the NFL, without a winning record. But, yeah Buckeye, blow that horn! Tell us all how great this team is… how none of us has a clue about the standing of this team we root for and follow in ernest.

I never fucking said that so quit trying to be DAkotat AND put words in my mouth!!!!!!!

"…just how healthy were they?" Well, they weren't. And, what is Mike McCarthy doing about that? Nothing that I've seen or heard. No change in one of the worst strength and conditioning staffs in the NFL. Nada. Must be dumb luck I guess…again, for like, the sixth year in a row the Packers are one of the most injured teams in the league. Let's make sure we keep that staff together. They are our guys after all. Don't need to fire anyone there, that's for sure.

WELL THEN FUCKING FIRE MIKE MCCARTHY!!!!!

Blame stretches far and wide in this organization for our failures in putting a truly competitive team out onto the field. If we see there are recurring problems not being addressed on this team, well, yeah, they should be addressed. And, to me, there are quite a lot.

WELL THEN FUCKING FIRE MARK MURPHY FOR NOT FUCKING FIRING TED THOMPSON!!!!

I was embarrassed by that playoff loss to SF on our own field, in the winter. Should never happen. I was embarrassed that we looked like a bunch of ass clowns against DET on Thanksgiving Day. I don't see anywhere in this forum where another poster is using that as a norm. As a fan and stockholder, I have a right to not like what they did there and through much of this last season, and to express my concerns about how this team is prepared, coached, and assembled.

Regardless, there are encouraging signs with many players on this team. I'd love to see Hayward back in the mix at DB, along with full seasons from Matthews and Perry. Looking forward to seeing Datone Jones, Josh Boyd and David Bakhtiari develop in year two. This team has talent and promise. I'd just like to see them get to the next level.

I guess my post yesterday wasn't all that far off, even though some don't understand why I am so mean.

Fuckin' overeact and FIRE EVERYONE!!!!!

Let's become THE CLEVELAND BROWNS!!!!!
because they sure do know how to win year after year.

You're embarrassed The Packers lost to The 49rs, when they gave them everything they wanted and was a play or 2 away from winning, while playing with a bunch of babies and backups!!!!

I was disappointed The Packers didn't win, but was sure proud of the way the team AS A WHOLE stepped up and came within a play or 2 of winning.

So fucking tired of hearing about THE MIGHTY INVINCIBLE 49rs. They are so damn talented, but have yet to win a Superbowl.

I was just having a little fun yesterday when I posted, but you have convinced me.

TIME TO FUCKING FIRE EVERYONE AND START FROM SCRATCH, THERE IS NO HOPE FOR THIS CURRENT TEAM!!!!!
play2win
10 years ago

I guess my post yesterday wasn't all that far off, even though some don't understand why I am so mean.

Fuckin' overeact and FIRE EVERYONE!!!!!

Let's become THE CLEVELAND BROWNS!!!!!
because they sure do know how to win year after year.

You're embarrassed The Packers lost to The 49rs, when they gave them everything they wanted and was a play or 2 away from winning, while playing with a bunch of babies and backups!!!!

I was disappointed The Packers didn't win, but was sure proud of the way the team AS A WHOLE stepped up and came within a play or 2 of winning.

So fucking tired of hearing about THE MIGHTY INVINCIBLE 49rs. They are so damn talented, but have yet to win a Superbowl.

I was just having a little fun yesterday when I posted, but you have convinced me.

TIME TO FUCKING FIRE EVERYONE AND START FROM SCRATCH, THERE IS NO HOPE FOR THIS CURRENT TEAM!!!!!

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

Why do you have to react like that? This over the top reactionary stuff like this just takes away credibility.

I'm certainly not happy about being bounced out of the playoffs the last three years, twice by the 49ers and once by the giants. You're tired of hearing about SF? Hey, join the club bro! It is what it is, and our front office has done SO very little to change many of recurring problems that have kept us from contending for 3 years in a row:

• No legit Safety opposite Morgan Burnett
• No use of FA to add quality, experienced depth at much needed positions
• No trades for quality veteran players
• No change in strength & conditioning staff/methods to make our players healthier
• No sense of urgency to stack successes while Rodgers is in his prime

We all could go on. I mean, how many times did we blow a 3rd and 1 or 2 or goal by passing with a (relatively) healthy, effective Lacy? Is our HC really just now figuring out how to call a good, sound, smart running game? And, yes, the health of this team has been a detrimental issue for at least 6 years. Can't make mention of that without you losing your shit?
buckeyepackfan
10 years ago

Why do you have to react like that? This over the top reactionary stuff like this just takes away credibility.

I'm certainly not happy about being bounced out of the playoffs the last three years, twice by the 49ers and once by the giants. You're tired of hearing about SF? Hey, join the club bro! It is what it is, and our front office has done SO very little to change many of recurring problems that have kept us from contending for 3 years in a row:

• No legit Safety opposite Morgan Burnett
• No use of FA to add quality, experienced depth at much needed positions
• No trades for quality veteran players
• No change in strength & conditioning staff/methods to make our players healthier
• No sense of urgency to stack successes while Rodgers is in his prime

We all could go on. I mean, how many times did we blow a 3rd and 1 or 2 or goal by passing with a (relatively) healthy, effective Lacy? Is our HC really just now figuring out how to call a good, sound, smart running game? And, yes, the health of this team has been a detrimental issue for at least 6 years. Can't make mention of that without you losing your shit?

I'm not overreacting, everything you listed what are the solutions?

Changes, which in The NFL pretty much means Firing the ones responsible.

IT'S TIME TO CLEAN HOUSE!!!!!

Starting at the top, nothing is going to change, unless you fire those who are responsible for making personal decisions.

Everybody's a fucking football genius, amazing there are only a few who can actually run an NFL franchise successfully.

I was under the opinion that The Packers have one of the good guys, but obviously

I AM WRONG!!!
play2win
10 years ago
One more thing: AJ Hawk is old and is only going to get worse.
DakotaT
10 years ago
This is some funny shit! Buckeye is a slurper and absolutely despises any of us questioning Packer leadership.
UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
10 years ago

One more thing: AJ Hawk is old and is only going to get worse.

Getting FIRED or Getting Cut same thing.

CHANGES NEED TO BE MADE!!!!

I'm agreeing with you.

What the hell is your problem?

Hey it's the off season, time to bitch and moan and complain all you want.

Then When nobody gets fired, Ted and Mike make their decisions on who stays and who goes, then you can continue to Bitch and Moan.

That's what this forum is all about, there's no accountability here.

If Hell freezes over and The Packer organization decides to Clean House and start over next year, well that's fine with me.

I'll be a fan of the guys who run out onto the field.

I won't bitch and moan, and I sure as hell won't pretend I know more than the guys making the big decisions.

play2win
10 years ago
For Christ's sake, relax man. It's all in fun. And, yeah, it's the offseason. Shit's gettin' real now!

I've professed ad nauseum how much improved our AJ Hawk was this year. Better hope Ted draft's another Buckeye though...

😆
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (10h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (10h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.