PackFanWithTwins
10 years ago

Next year is when the rubber really hits the road for Seattle's cap. Both Russell Wilson and Richard Sherman will be up, but until then, they've got another year to keep them on the cap friendly terms of their original deals.

John Schneider will have his work cut out for him.

Look at all the talent they brought in within the last 3 years… especially last year alone. It is amazing, and it paid off with the SB win. I kind of wish Ted would take more chances like they did to push his team over the hump. Another Lombardi Trophy for the Packers would have made it worthwhile these last 3 seasons, even if we would have had to purge the roster a bit afterwards.

I don't think it can be done through the draft alone. I just don't.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

While I also wish Ted would take a few more chances now and then I must say that Ted has been limited in what he was able to do a little more also. Seattle has one thing Ted has never had the benefit of having. A cheap QB. Having your QB on the 2nd year of a 3rd rounder rookie contract is a lot of money that can be spent on FA. They wouldn't have probably 1/2 of the FA they have if they had to pay real starting QB salaries.

It has been really nice to go from a HOF QB to what appears to be another HOF QB but that privileged has come at the expense of what can be done in the FA market.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
play2win
10 years ago

While I also wish Ted would take a few more chances now and then I must say that Ted has been limited in what he was able to do a little more also. Seattle has one thing Ted has never had the benefit of having. A cheap QB. Having your QB on the 2nd year of a 3rd rounder rookie contract is a lot of money that can be spent on FA. They wouldn't have probably 1/2 of the FA they have if they had to pay real starting QB salaries.

It has been really nice to go from a HOF QB to what appears to be another HOF QB but that privileged has come at the expense of what can be done in the FA market.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

You're absolutely right. However, there are other opportunities missed before Rodgers signed his giant contract last season.

It is a difficult endeavor to build on that kind of success. We now have Rodgers and Matthews signed to their deals, and new ones coming in for Nelson and Cobb, amongst others.

I'm pretty much saying our window was 2011-12. The game is now changed in GB on this level. You're absolutely right. But, we can add top talent. It is just going to require some better, and more difficult decision making.
musccy
10 years ago

Exactly, Seattle has been extremely fortunate to find very cheap labor with Sherman, Wilson, even Thomas I think is at 5mil/year.

With that said, they've got almost 20 million wrapped up in Rice/Harvin who have been virtually useless to them. Schneider still deserves the credit because even with those missteps he's found competent receivers and depth across the roster to field a great team.

PackFanWithTwins
10 years ago

You're absolutely right. However, there are other opportunities missed before Rodgers signed his giant contract last season.

It is a difficult endeavor to build on that kind of success. We now have Rodgers and Matthews signed to their deals, and new ones coming in for Nelson and Cobb, amongst others.

I'm pretty much saying our window was 2011-12. The game is now changed in GB on this level. You're absolutely right. But, we can add top talent. It is just going to require some better, and more difficult decision making.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

Rodgers last contract wasn't small, We go a deal, but he wasn't underpaid by any means so we were still strapped somewhat. I was saying the year before Brees got his deal, how much of an advantage it was at that point for the packers and saints to have QBs making 7-8 million rather than the 17 that Brady and Peyton were getting. Now we are on the other end of that.

Now that we have Rodgers and Clay locked up draft picks and street FA must produce in order for us to have the space and ability to make that push.

QCHuskerFan
10 years ago

I would rather go all in and have to do a small rebuild for a year or two than just be a play off team all the time.

Really? That's like Tom Brady saying that looks aren't important in a spouse. Your perspective is skewed because we have been in the playoffs for an extended period.

If you make it to the playoffs, you can win a Super Bowl. If you don't, you're just a guaranteed loser.

This is the first time in forever that the best 2 teams played in the Super Bowl. Last year's Ravens were probably not the best team in the league. But they were in the playoffs. In 2011, the Giants sure weren't the best team in NFL, but they won the Super Bowl.

Quick. Which Packer team was better: 2010 or 2011? 2011 clearly, in my opinion. But 2010 won the Super Bowl, 2011 didn't. 2010 was the #6 seed. So they barely got into playoffs. But they got hot and won it all.

It might have been 1985, when Whitey Herzog said something along the lines of "I wouldn't mind losing the World Series every year. Because that means I at least got here." That's what I want. Get me to the playoffs every year. If we weren't so spoiled, more Packer fans would want that too.
PackFanWithTwins
10 years ago

Really? That's like Tom Brady saying that looks aren't important in a spouse. Your perspective is skewed because we have been in the playoffs for an extended period.

If you make it to the playoffs, you can win a Super Bowl. If you don't, you're just a guaranteed loser.

This is the first time in forever that the best 2 teams played in the Super Bowl. Last year's Ravens were probably not the best team in the league. But they were in the playoffs. In 2011, the Giants sure weren't the best team in NFL, but they won the Super Bowl.

Quick. Which Packer team was better: 2010 or 2011? 2011 clearly, in my opinion. But 2010 won the Super Bowl, 2011 didn't. 2010 was the #6 seed. So they barely got into playoffs. But they got hot and won it all.

It might have been 1985, when Whitey Herzog said something along the lines of "I wouldn't mind losing the World Series every year. Because that means I at least got here." That's what I want. Get me to the playoffs every year. If we weren't so spoiled, more Packer fans would want that too.

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan 

We have been consistently to the playoffs, and we don't take it for granted, we are able to see what could potentially be if we made a couple FA moves every few years to give us that extra push. And doing so, with good draft and develop does not mean we would not have a chance at the playoffs on the other years as well it just means at those times we are giving it the extra effort to try for the SB.

2010 was the better team, it just faced much more adversity during the season. The team was only the 6th seed because of the injuries in the early middle parts of the season especially to Finley which caused the offense to need to be changed because of the amount of focus they planned with him that year.
Laser Gunns
10 years ago

Exactly, Seattle has been extremely fortunate to find very cheap labor with Sherman, Wilson, even Thomas I think is at 5mil/year.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

with how many good players they have on the cheap. it's not luck.

they draft and coach damn well.

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
play2win
10 years ago

Originally Posted by: Laser Gunns 

Yeah, a remarkable job by that entire organization.
musccy
10 years ago

Originally Posted by: Laser Gunns 

You're right. I've said that in other posts, just not this one. They're very fortunate to currently be paying All Pros and pro bowlers bargain basement prices, but that's due to the fact that they've drafted extraordinarily well.

10 years ago

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan 

The Giants got hot. The 2010 Packers team did not. They just finally started playing to their capabilities. There is a difference.

People don't realize how good that 2010 team was

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (23m) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (10h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (17h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (18h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (19h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (22h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.