play2win
10 years ago
Let me get this straight.... I said "Packer People," once, and stevie gets his undies in a twist and ruins a perfectly good thread? And this gets another, separate "Packer People" thread started?

Wow. Awesome!

Happy Offseason motherfuckers!

Bigger point is we really need playmakers, and maybe we should be more willing to work with some talented players who have these qualities while also bringing along a downside or a little baggage.

Johnny Jolly. Great, yeah, he's got the baggage, but this happened to one of Ted's guys, on Ted's watch. Koren Robinson, actually, another Ted drafted player.

I want to know why we didn't go after a badass MF like Bernard Pollard at S back in the day. Hell, I want to know why the hell Holmgren wanted Wayne Simmons off the team after helping us win SB XXXI. And, Randy Moss could have been paired with Favre if Ted really truly tried harder.

For those too young to recall, I think the Packer People jag started after the Mossy Cade train wreck, and the James Lofton fiasco. Wolf adding Rison actually fell outside of this window, and his stay was very short.

I want Ted to sign some bad ass defenders. Plain and simple. We need some talent and attitude.
steveishere
10 years ago

Let me get this straight.... I said "Packer People," once, and stevie gets his undies in a twist and ruins a perfectly good thread? And this gets another, separate "Packer People" thread started?

Wow. Awesome!

Happy Offseason motherfuckers!

Bigger point is we really need playmakers, and maybe we should be more willing to work with some talented players who have these qualities while also bringing along a downside or a little baggage.

Johnny Jolly. Great, yeah, he's got the baggage, but this happened to one of Ted's guys, on Ted's watch. Koren Robinson, actually, another Ted drafted player.

I want to know why we didn't go after a badass MF like Bernard Pollard at S back in the day. Hell, I want to know why the hell Holmgren wanted Wayne Simmons off the team after helping us win SB XXXI. And, Randy Moss could have been paired with Favre if Ted really truly tried harder.

For those too young to recall, I think the Packer People jag started after the Mossy Cade train wreck, and the James Lofton fiasco. Wolf adding Rison actually fell outside of this window, and his stay was very short.

I want Ted to sign some bad ass defenders. Plain and simple. We need some talent and attitude.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

Ha! All I did was ask you to prove what you were claiming and you didn't seem to like that. I don't disagree that we need more playmakers but crying about the past doesn't accomplish anything. Everyone's a genius in hindsight. Would it have been cool to draft Richard Sherman instead of Davon House heck yeah but even Seattle didn't think much of Sherman in the draft or they wouldn't have waited until the 5th round to take him.

Talent is king and we need more talent, period. Guys like Navarro Bowman, Luke Kuechly, Lavonte David aren't necessarily "bad ass" but they are awesome. Not saying to disregard someone because they have a bad attitude or whatever but it's not that important regardless of how much it gets fans fired up.
play2win
10 years ago
It's alright steveishere. I did back it up with the corresponding info. My point was really that I wonder if the pendulum has swung too far the other way, precluding us from landing some top talents.

Also, know that I'm not in favor of adding a bunch of criminals just to win. It is indeed a slippery slope. Ted has added a lot of good people to our roster, but we are definitely lacking some good players, at many positions.
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
10 years ago

What is your problem?

A half hearted attempt by Ted Thompson, to me, does not automatically translate to "trying." I guess it does to you.

Agree with this.

Thompson has had two major free agent acquisitions in his tenure as GM. Both were in 2006. That means he has had nine (about to be 10, I expect) years in which he has not made a single major free agent acquisition.

I'm not bothered by the fact that Ted missed on Lynch or that he missed on Moss or that he missed on any individual free agent acquisition. I'm not bothered by the fact that he missed one person who was a Packer person or that he missed one person because he wasn't a Packer person.

What I'm bothered by is that he has made just two free agent acquisitions that I would count as major in his entire tenure as GM, and none since 2006.

Nor is "he was in cap hell" enough of an explanation. Other teams (and not just the Snyders and Jones) have been at least as tight against the cap and found a way. And, again, it's been 9 years.

Draft and develop isn't enough. Just re-signing your own players (before or after they become free agents) isn't enough.

Not unless you are the best drafter in NFL history by a standard deviation or so.

IMO.

If he's only been able to get two substantial free agents since 2005, then either isn't trying or he isn't trying enough.

IMO.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
DakotaT
10 years ago
I don't think free agent's want to come and play in Green Bay. How many of you would take a vacation to Bismarck? Enough said!
UserPostedImage
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago
It ain't about Green Bay climate or the Green Bay social scene or whatever. It's about MONEY #1 and WINNING #2. The huge majority of the time, the team offering the best deal financially gets the player. About the only exception would be somebody turning down a bigger offer from a chronic losing team.

In most of the examples mentioned - Lynch, Moss, etc., I actually side with Thompson in not signing them. Paying big money for a RB with a few years on him is almost never a good idea, and Moss looked like a long shot to be worthwhile to get based on his general attitude. A lot of players who fall short of being "Packer people" still might be worth the risk. Moss IMO was not.

Just the same, Thompson should have seen obvious weaknesses on the Packer team and done more to fix them - like getting a quality cover Safety this year.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
play2win
10 years ago
Thompson should have gotten a quality cover Safety LAST YEAR! Or, maybe made a trade for one when Collins went down in 2011.

We saw the reliance on one player, Aaron Rodgers, and how that adversely affected our team this past season. It was a window to our real and true strength -or lack thereof- as a football team. I was floored by how badly we fared without him on many levels, even though I agree, any team losing their starting QB, and former NFL MVP, would suffer greatly.

I found this interesting in how a similar situation in Denver with Peyton Manning might be translating directly to our own current woes, and our standing in today's NFL:

A MATTER OF STYLE. Doesn’t it seem that the philosophical approach to football ultimately made the difference? Denver is led by Manning. He is THE unquestioned leader of the team. He is the boss and the players are the employees. It was that way in Indy as well. How he goes, so goes his team. It was obvious the psychological effect the game had on Peyton. He was shell-shocked in his post-game interview, stammering for words, his confidence shattered. In contrast, Seattle is an 11-man team effort with interchangeable parts. Anyone can step up on any given game day. It showed once again on Sunday that football is a team sport.

—Michael, Los Angeles

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/02/04/russell-wilson-seattle-seahawks-super-bowl-xlviii/2/ 

Great observation, very similar to what our Packers team is facing currently with Rodgers.

Point is, at this stage we are WAY more like the DEN team who got their asses handed to them than we are the SEA who gave them the beat down. We have SO MANY HOLES on our team to address, especially on defense. Currently, we are in dire need of upgrades at FS, SS, OLB, ILB, NT, DE and possibly TE and WR, maybe even CB if we can't get the Shields deal done.

I was pretty happy to see Mike Daniels comments the other day about assuming more of a leadership role. We need more of that. Take some of the emphasis off of Rodgers being the end all for this team, and get some super talents all across the board to make a real, winning "team." It is time to add at least one premiere talent at any of those positions on D, and work to fill out the rest of our roster with upgrades, as opposed to sticking with some of our own who haven't been getting the job done. It would be nice to see the team leadership expand to other areas of our Packers team other than QB.

Leadership has been a problem in GB. When your trusted veteran CB, Tramon Williams, comes out publicly to state this after the season's end, maybe it is time to start listening. Add some quality, proven vets Ted. I found it really odd that we were in some games after Rodgers went down, except for our defense tanking. How the hell does Rodgers going down correlate to such a swift downfall in our defense? Well, pretty much the same way Peyton being flustered in the SB against SEA brought their entire team down. Too heavy a reliance on one player.

Figuring Ted likes to stick solely to the draft, I would be hard pressed to see us returning to another SB and winning for at least a few years, knowing many important players we've added in the last few drafts are slipping in their development (Burnett, Perry, House, Hayward, Worthy to name a few), and it will take time for new draftees to develop enough to make the significant contributions we have been lacking, needing to truly compete.

Zero2Cool
10 years ago

Thompson should have gotten a quality cover Safety LAST YEAR! Or, maybe made a trade for one when Collins went down in 2011.

I know right! I mean, WTF, why didn't he go to "Safeties 'R Us" and fix that because quality safeties are a dime a dozen, ya know!!
UserPostedImage
play2win
10 years ago

I know right! I mean, WTF, why didn't he go to "Safeties 'R Us" and fix that because quality safeties are a dime a dozen, ya know!!

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

That's funny. But, the reality was Collins was a Pro Bowl Safety. Morgan Burnett was seeing his first real action after sitting out most of the 2010 with a knee injury. That left Charlie Peprah. Our depth chart at Safety literally listed Burnett, Collins and Peprah.

So, laugh all you want about there being some kind of shopping center for Pro Bowl Safeties, but losing a player as important to the team as Collins, in September (trade deadline that year was Oct 18th, 2011)… Ted had enough time to try to work a deal or sign another player, especially knowing we are primed to make another SB run. Without a player like Collins, we were significantly less primed, with just two safeties remaining on the roster, Peprah and Burnett.

Moving Woodson to Safety, coming off a broken collar bone, and removing him from his CB slot where he gained DPOY honors didn't make a ton of sense to me, but it certainly was a cheap way out.

That was some "bump in the road…"

Collins waved to the crowd while being wheeled off the field.

"He's on pace to potentially have a Hall of Fame career here," McCarthy said. "Hopefully, this is just a bump in the road. We're going to miss him."

Peprah says he's taking the same approach as he did stepping in for Burnett last year.

"They're expecting me to go in and have no drop-off," Peprah said. "I'm going to go in and do the best I can, and hopefully that will be more than enough to get back to where we were last year."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6993319/nick-collins-green-bay-packers-season-neck-injury

3 years later, we are still jolted by that bump in the road.
steveishere
10 years ago
Considering Woodson had fallen off as a CB and is now currently still playing safety I'd say it made plenty of sense. It's not like we were lacking at the slot CB in 2012 with Hayward.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (6h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (13h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (14h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (14h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (17h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (20h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (20h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (20h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (20h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (20h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (20h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (20h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (20h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (20h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (20h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (21h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (21h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (21h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.